Trouble Sleeping

Been prescribed 2 weeks supply of Promethazine Hydrochloride, it didn’t help last night.

Did the gp say it might take some time to work? It’s so frustrating not being able to sleep. It affects all aspects of life when you are exhausted and sleep deprived. I’m sorry it hasn’t worked for you. Drs seem reluctant to hand out sleep medication.

1 Like

Didn’t actually speak to the GP, I did an e-consult and they just sent a text to say the prescription was at the chemist. They did say they’d phone me in 2 weeks. I’ll keep taking the pills until they phone. Thanks x

01:39 so fed up with not being able to sleep.

I know this sounds weird but sometimes I try a white noise app when I can’t sleep. There are different ones you can try, I have a playlist on Apple Music and I have one track on repeat through the night sometimes, my favourite is the sound of rain. Just a thought,

Sorry that you are still not sleeping. You must be very fed up now.

1 Like

GP phoned today (a week early), said if the two different types of sleeping pills didn’t work, it wasn’t worth prescribing anything else as that probably wouldn’t work either. She said my sleep may get better after the inquest in May & suggested contacting Cruse. I did but there’s a 3 month wait. I’ll have to get used to poor sleep and being tired all the time.

Felt so bad with my lack of sleep today I almost went home sick from work. Just wish I could get over this insomnia.

Have you tried an anti histamine? I haven’t myself but I know someone who was prescribed these for insomnia and you can buy over the counter.

The last sleeping pills my GP prescribed were anti histamine but they didn’t work for me. Thanks x

Feeling crap, going to try and have an early night although I don’t suppose I’ll get much sleep.

My current sleep pattern seems to be I fall asleep around 10pm and wake up every night at 12:30am. I then seem to stay awake a while but sometimes can go back to sleep. I then always wake up at 2am and I’m wide awake until 4/5am. I tend to either get up at 5am or I nod off and fall into a deep sleep until 6/6:30 when I have to get up for work and to get my kids ready for school. It’s such a broken night of sleep!

What’s your pattern like?

1 Like

My sleep pattern seems very similar to yours except sometimes I have difficulty falling asleep in the first place. I feel exhausted all the time x

I think not sleeping is a symptom of grieving. It will be seven years in June since I lost my beloved husband and sleep is still an issue for me. I think the more anxious you get, the less likely you are to sleep. Relax. My advice would be, don’t fight it, go with it. Don’t toss and turn, get up, make a warm drink, read perhaps. Someone has already mentioned sleep meditation and I do find these can help. However, recently I’ve been listening to sleep stories by Stephen Dalton. I have never and would never resort to prescribed sleep medication. I’ll post a sleep story for you. Anything’s worth a try.

3 Likes

There’s loads of different stories, give them a try. Good luck. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Been 11 years for me and sleep has been a problem, take occasional sleeping tablets, also brandy sleep but wake with a hangover, this is not a life it’s an existence. Miss him every day after 47years doesn’t get easier.

3 Likes

Victoria,

So sorry to hear you are still having issues sleeping and the medication has not helped.

You need to make sure your bed and bedroom are somewhere you associate with sleep, not using your phone or lying worrying. As Kate said if you don’t fall back to sleep after a few minutes get up, have a milky drink, read a book and then try to go back to bed.
If you find yourself getting overwhelmed with worries have a notepad and pen by the side of the bed. Also look up a CBT technique called Worry Time.
:crossed_fingers:your sleep improves but unfortunately it is part of the grieving process too.
Take care x

2 Likes

It never goes away, does it? But actually, I like that he’s always on my mind, still a huge part of my life. I’ve said before how I carry him around on my shoulder- I live with a man who isn’t here…

3 Likes

Hi @Victoria22 ,

I hope you and everyone else sleeps well tonight. I’m just about to play a Stephen Dalton sleep story… :sleeping:

2 Likes

Thanks, unfortunately I didn’t have a good night. Felt so exhausted I went to bed early but that just meant waking up a few extra times. I will keep trying different solutions, a friend recommended asking in a health food store if they can recommend anything herbal to help, so I think I’ll give it a try.
Hope your sleep gets better xx

@Victoria22
I have had problems sleeping since my husband passed 12mths ago and 4 nights ago I was sat up at 2.30am wide awake thinking I can’t go on like this and I made a decision out of the blue to buy a new bed. When they delivered it and took the old one away I sobbed my heart out ‘our’ bed had now become mine, I have now had the best sleep ever. There was too much sadness/memories associated with our old bed and I had to let go. I bought all new bedding, redecorated the bedroom and it is now my own sanctuary, peaceful, calm. It’s something worth thinking about maybe?

2 Likes