Trouble Sleeping

Since mum died I’m having trouble sleeping, I wake up around 2 a.m. and can’t get back to sleep. Does anyone have any recommendations for insomnia? Thanks x

3 Likes

Reading helps me fall back to sleep.

1 Like

Hello @Victoria22,

You might find this article on our Grief Guide helpful:

https://griefguide.sueryder.org/support/tips-to-help-your-sleep-routine

I hope you get some sleep soon :blue_heart:

2 Likes

The Nytol tablets recommended by my local pharmacist didn’t work. I’ve just joined a gym, hopefully that will help.

Going to the gym hasn’t helped either, now I just feel like a member of the walking dead. I’ll keep going to the gym as I need to get fit.

Exercising just before going to bed is actually not good for sleep!

Hope the photo upload works.
This gives some of the pointers to bad sleep.

It is also totally understandable that you are not sleeping welll at the moment.

1 Like

GP prescribed sleeping pills, tried for 3 nights so far with mixed results. Took last night off the pills as wanted some wine so back to not much sleep. Will start the sleeping pills again tomorrow.

Victoria,

Hopefully your GP has told you that you shouldn’t be taking Sleeping tablets every night! As they can become addictive!
Usual advice is every other night or take for 2 nights then don’t take on the 3rd!
If your GP hasn’t given this advice I would check in with your Pharmacy or Surgery.

Take care
x

1 Like

Thanks, GP did say that, he only gave me 2 weeks supply and said only use when needed. I won’t take them tonight either as have to take one of my cats to the vets early in the morning. x

1 Like

I’m still having trouble sleeping, nothing has worked. Today I dozed off on the sofa in the middle of the day I was so tired.

I find podcasts like dramas on BBC Sounds help. I only sleep when exhausted. I am still in the same room that my husband had his brain seizure in (although I replaced the bed 18 months after he died). Have not had a week of quality sleep in over 4 years as during his cancer treatment and because of lockdown I slept where and when I could.
Avoid coffee as this makes sleep impossible.
As I am not working, I have the luxury of being able to catch up on sleep in the day but it is not good for routine and social life.

1 Like

Still can’t sleep and feel so tired x

I find listening to guided sleep meditations on YouTube help. Provides a focus on breathing techniques and away from racing thoughts

1 Like

Can’t take much more of the insomnia, contacted GP and waiting for a call back. :crossed_fingers:

GP sent a text, prescribed different sleeping pills and will phone me in 2 weeks. Let’s hope these work :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Sounds good, I hope they work!

1 Like

How did you get on with the tablets? Did they work?

GP sent the prescription to the wrong chemist so can’t pick them up until Saturday. Wide awake and it’s only 02:30 and have to go to work today. Feel really tired but just can’t get back to sleep xx

Got my new medication, looking forward to trying it tonight, hope it helps me sleep :crossed_fingers:

1 Like