Unable to think about my dad

Hi everyone, I lost my dad suddenly 18 months ago which absolutely devastated me and broke my heart. I’ve gone through every emotion over the last year and a half. It’s true what people say, that the grief never goes but you learn to live with it and generally I feel better now than I have in a long time.

Recently though I’ve realised that I’m just not able to think about my dad, it’s like I’ve got a mental block so when a thought of him pops into my head, it’s like a wall comes up and I push the thought away. I know this isn’t healthy so thought I’d ask if anyone else has experienced this and if you have any advice of how to overcome it.

Thank you :heart:

2 Likes

Hello @DJC, I’m just giving this thread a gentle, “bump” for you. I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad. You’re worried that not being able to think about him isn’t healthy. Everyone processes grief differently and hopefully someone will be along to share their experiences.

I wondered if you had considered writing to your dad, or about him, as a way to help you overcome that mental block? Some of our members have found that journaling can be helpful. We have a blog here on how to start a grief journal - maybe take a look and see what you think.

Sometimes having a safe space where you can talk about your grief openly can help, too. If you were interested in exploring counselling, we offer free sessions held by video chat.

Please keep reaching out - you’re not alone.

Take care,
Seaneen

Hi Seaneen, thanks so much for your advice, I’m on the waiting list for counselling so i think that will help. Journalling is a good idea, I’ll have a look at the pages on it xx