What songs do it for you in our bereavement?

On the odd times I now get emotional, its often when some music begins on the radio etc.
Sometimes it makes me sad, sometimes happy, sometimes bring back memories (which are normally happy these days)

For instance, what songs did you choose at the funeral/cremation or celebration?

Ill start off with a song which Penny loved, and often joked about playing it at whatever we did when she died. We had no funeral, so at the celebration we had of her life, I sang it for her, supported by the 40 people who turned up.

Please try and post a youtube link if you can, it will make it much easier.

3 Likes

We left the crem to “Mr blue sky”.
Every time it comes on the radio I hope hubby is looking down.

G. X

3 Likes

Doug’s wanted “Impossible Dream” and it had to be Susan Boyle singing. I choose “make me a channel of your peace” sang at our marriage blessing, our son choose “shine Jesus shine” and we left the service on our daughter’s choice “In Christ Alone”.
Debbie x

5 Likes

My husband came in to the crem to the 1812 overture finale, he loved the canons. We had More Than a Feeling by Boston for the reflective music then, because he was big in grassroots football in Norfolk and Suffolk, we had the theme to Match of the Day at the end. We wanted his funeral to be upbeat - dignified and respectful but not miserable. He didn’t have a miserable bone in his body and would have hated a tragic, morbid funeral.

5 Likes

We went in to the crem with your still the one by shaina twain because pauline always be. In the middle for the reflective it was amazed by lonestar because that was our song and the words say it all. We went out to. to make you feel my love by Adele as there is nothing that i wouldn’t have done for her. I hope pauline would have been happy with the songs i picked. They all meant something to us.

4 Likes

Fantastic choices -
it’s a very personal time - so I think it’s appropriate to have tunes that mean & reflect our special person.

G. X

3 Likes

Im a plonker! I started this thread but forgot to mention the song which Penny loved. I actually sang it for her at the celebration of her life. So here it is!

3 Likes

I had Celine Dion Because you loved me played at my husband funeral i wanted to let him know how much i loved him plus it was also the way my husband made me feel

3 Likes

Hi,
We had Ava Maria as mum’s coffin entered the church .The first hymn was a welsh song called Calon lan and another Welsh song to listen to and reflect was called Adonaf Angel which means I am sending you an Angel in English.Next song was Make we came a Channel of your peace and to leave the church we played Andrea Virginia and Matteo Boceli’s song called The Greatest Gift is Love.
At the crem we played Guide me oh thou Great Redeemer and Lewis Capaldi 's song called Pointless to reflex and listen to.
Leaving the crem we played The Prayer

2 Likes

well our songs were 1) endless love, this was the one we sang together shortly after we met, 2) was circle of life at her service, 3) was cant you feel the love tonight. these were our songs, know why we met. she had nothing, no dreams at all so after her story i stayed and gave her hope , made my promise to her mother/father, then shared 40 years till she suddenly past away within a week

2 Likes

We left the Crematorium to george jones he stopped loving her today.it was one sues favourite country and western songs as well as alan Jackson songs . Bon jovi thank you for loving me is the song that does it for says how i really feel about my gorgeous wife sue. Had youtube this morning with our favourite music on

I had Eternal Flame -The Bangles which is our family song. Followed by Perfect -Ed Sherran because it reflects our life, then reflective music Endless Love -Lionel Richie which speaks for it self and left to All kinds of everything by Dana which was a sing my wife would song on occasions. Sometimes when I hear them I cry sometimes I smile.

1 Like

We had a very recent Cliff Richard cover of these songs (he was her favourite singer) a medley of “Somewhere over the Rainbow” and “What a Wonderful World” and exit was Neil Diamond (her other favourite singer).

Just had my mums funeral, walk in song Johnny Ray walking in the rain ( mum and dads favourite from early days) you’re my best friend queen ( reflection song) Rule the world Take That , my mum and dad had a pub for most of their life and one of the bar staff used to sing this on karaoke for my mum and dad every Friday night

1 Like

I love Johnny Ray, one of my mum and dads favourites. One of my good friends has had a pub for over 30 years now but lost his daughter and then his wife and has now had to move out into sheltered accommodation. I miss him. A good friend.

He was a big Elvis fan and would sing Elvis songs Fridays and Saturdays, a very special person, as are most Landlord’s and Landladies from those days.