Where are you mum?šŸ’”

Nam thanks fior being there for me ireally feel fo you how old was your mum mine was 74 she got ill round christmas and went downhill fast with cancer but i live away so aint seen them for a year i use to go away to bridlington with my mum she loved it bythe sea we went on alot of day trips it was great just sat on sea front just chilling i will miss them daysxxxx love jillxx

1 Like

Jillybean1
No not at all, does it mean you have got over your loss, far from it. We all grieve differently, and our emotions come at different times throughout the grieving process.
Here to share your feelings anytime.
Joy

1 Like

Name

Oh no, motherā€™s day was such an awful day, but for all those missed special occasions without your mum it must be really sad.
It is impossible to know what life is now, none existent for me really as Iā€™ve not partner or children. Mum was all I needed in my life, now she has passed, Iā€™ve nothing to live for. I cried constantly for the past 2 days, life getting harder as each day dawns. I struggle to even get out of bed most days, asking mum to come and fetch me.
I find the hearing of laughter in the sunshine unbearable. Mum loved to see the flowers blooming in the gardens, I canā€™t bear to even look at them.
I know it is still early days but I donā€™t feel things will ever get any easier.
Thankyou for sharing your feelings with me, the support is very much appreciated.
You too take care, keep sharing.
Joy

1 Like

Hi Jill
Thank you for sharing those lovely memories of your mum @Jillybean1- it sounds as though you had such fun together on your trips to the sea front at Bridlington. I know what you mean about just sitting and chilling - sometimes it isnā€™t the big things we miss about our mums itā€™s all those times together doing the things we enjoyed with them. Yes we miss those days and those times so much.

How awful that she was taken so ill so quickly that must have been such a shock for you. Nothing can prepare us for that can it - it seems to happen out of nowhere and then suddenly they are gone and we are grieving.

I wonder whether, when things are more open again, I might be able to go somewhere mum lovedā€¦ not sure yet because of the pain but I would like to think I could visit somewhere for her, in her memory, some day. We had planned a trip to Weston so she could see the sea from the car - she was in a wheelchair and couldnā€™t walk - we never got to do it. She loved watching the sea. Have you been able to think about anything like that yet?

Keep sharing Jill

Nam xx

@JP20.J
Joy I think when they have been such a huge part of our lives it is literally impossible to imagine what life will be without them - I feel for you I really do. How do we reach a point where we can live because they showed us how to? Because we know that is what they would want for us? Hard when there is so much pain at the moment.

I think what you say about early days is so right - Iā€™m not sure we really know how we feel at the moment - I know I donā€™t. I canā€™t make plans - I donā€™t know what day it is sometimes. And the longing to see mum again, to laugh with her, to have her tell me itā€™s all going to be ok, is unbearable.

I mentioned this to Jill as well, but Iā€™m wondering whether you know Sue Ryder also offer grief counselling for free? Iā€™ve applied for it, because I think sometimes we all need extra support at a time like this. Just a thoughtā€¦ It isnā€™t right for everyone, but I thought I would try it.

I think it is really hard to imagine things will get easier - I can tell myself that but on the really bad days it just feels badā€¦ I talk to mum, I ask her how to get through this, and I know in my heart what she would say - because you can. I try to remember how strong she was, how big her spirit was, and I hope that some of that will help.

Keep sharing Joy

Take care
Nam xx

Nam

It is just too much. Every time my thoughts go back to life without mum, my chest tightens and I feel Iā€™m suffocating.
Iā€™m shut away most days, as I said i struggle to get out of bed, the few times I have tried to speak to anyone I start to cry. My supervisor from work phoned me yesterday and all I did was cry the whole time.
Iā€™ve not been happy at work for quite some time, but because Iā€™m not thinking straight, I donā€™t know if I look for another job or stay put. I feel Iā€™m not capable of anything. I just donā€™t know what to do. I want mum here to to help me with this. It is the longing to have mum back , but knowing that is not going to happen that is making life so unbearable.
Thankyou for mentioning the grief counselling, I think I may give it a try, as I honestly donā€™t know how I can carry on alone. It is just , I canā€™t explain,Iā€™m struggling. Iā€™m not sleeping, this has worsened as the days pass.
I am always asking mum to fetch me, telling her cannot get through this without her. Like you we know what their answer would be, but Iā€™m afraid it is not that easy. I am struggling and I mean struggling. When I try to settle down for the night, I just want to go to sleep and not wake up.
Sorry, I know we are all grieving.
Thankyou for listening, please keep sharing your feelings.
Joy xx

@NPM I know exactly what you mean and you express it so well.

I agree - sometimes the reminders make us feel closer and comforted, sometimes they are too painful.

Sending you a hug xx

1 Like

@JP20.J
Iā€™m so sorry Joy it is so very hard, and as you say, it is made even more painful being alone while you are grieving for your lovely mum. I really hope you can find some more support through the counselling service - just having someone else to talk to can be so helpful.

Iā€™m wondering whether you have other friends or family you can talk to? Grief is so isolating, and such a lonely experience, and having someone you can talk to sometimes can help to ease that. I also write down what Iā€™m feeling - itā€™s another way of getting some of the feelings out of my head where they just go round and round. I even have a sort of ongoing letter to my mum, which I have found helps me feel as though I am talking to her. These are all just ways I am trying to cope with the grief, and sometimes they work better than others. Have you tried anything like that? Or found other things to try?

Grief is also so exhausting, and I know for myself I really struggle when Iā€™m not sleeping properly. Since mum died I have slept really badly, often going to bed too late and then waking up at silly-oā€™clock in the early hours and sometimes not being able to go back to sleep. I am trying things like a warm bath, and lavender pillow spray, to see if it makes any difference. I think maybe it does, a little, because I am now able to fall back to sleep sometimes. Have you tried anything like that?

Everything I have read about grief seems to say making big decisions can be tricky when we are grieving - I wonder what other peopleā€™s experience is? I wasnā€™t able to work for weeks after mum died, and have only just gone back recently. I still find it hard to do a full day - I canā€™t concentrate very well and sometimes just sit and cry. I canā€™t seem to focus properly, and get really easily distracted.

Sending hugs to you Joy - yes we are all grieving and thatā€™s why we all get how this feels.

Take care
Nam xx

1 Like

@NJL
Itā€™s strange isnā€™t it - and I also find that what comforts me one day can just make me cry on a different day. Today, I found something that we had brought back from mumā€™s when we emptied her flat, and seeing it in my cupboard just hurt so much - I shut the cupboard door and walked away. And yet I remember so clearly thinking I wanted to keep it at the time. I will keep it for now, because I know this isnā€™t the time to make decisions about what to do with her things.

At the moment I am surrounded by everything we took from her flat, and sometimes it can feel hard seeing it all when it should be at her place, with her. It is still so unreal that she isnā€™t there - do you get that? Just not being able to believe it? I know I have dreamed about her, but when I wake up the dreams fade so quickly and I just have an impression that she was in my dream - I canā€™t remember what the dream was about. I said to my husband recently ā€˜thatā€™s the only place where she is still aliveā€™ā€¦

Sending hugs to you too
Take care
Nam xx

Nam
Thankyou, I can only try the counselling, I canā€™t feel any worse than I am doing, 3 days of near constant crying.
I have 2 sisters, but they not very supportive, as they didnā€™t have the same closeness and relationship with mum that I had. They have partners and families. Mum was all I ever needed. A few friends are trying to be supportive but as they havenā€™t experienced the loss of any loved ones, they donā€™t fully understand.
I do have a notebook where I have been writing down things as if Iā€™m talking to mum, it helps for a little while, but then Iā€™m thinking I need you here mum beside me. I have a teddy that I bought for mum that I talk to, sitting on my bed.
No I havenā€™t tried anything to try to help me sleep, but thankyou for your ideas.
Decisions are more difficult to make while grieving. I just donā€™t know what to do, or what I want other than to be with mum. If a pill was available to take to get me back with mum then I would definitely take one.
Iā€™m not able to concentrate or focus on anything that I try to do. Everything is a blur, it doesnā€™t get any easier.
Thankyou again for your ideas and sharing your feelings.
Hugs to you too.
Joy xx

1 Like

I completely get it. Everything you say resonates with me. I still canā€™t believe my Mum isnā€™t here and I keep saying ā€œI donā€™t understand how you arenā€™t hereā€. I feel that I dream about my Mum a lot but when I wake up I canā€™t remember but I just feel she was there somehow.

I am keeping a notebook and I write in it nearly every day about how Iā€™m feeling - itā€™s a very helpful therapy and I think I am my own therapist really. Sometimes I read things back and I think itā€™s very perceptive and helpful.

I have learned very much that the grief ā€œjourneyā€ is a very personal thing and it can be quite hurtful if those closest to you donā€™t seem able to understand your feelings. I now feel that my grief is a shared thing between me and my Mum.

I find it really helpful to be among people who understand, I hope you find it helps too.

Nicky xx

2 Likes

Hi you two iv bin having that same dream to and actually shouting out my mums name but like you cant rembering what i dreamed off but i was talking to a friend and she said the dream is a way of your mum coming back to say she ok now and at peace loves so if that helps any of your to make sense of it sending great big hugs love jillxxxx

2 Likes

Hi
I remember so clearly from when my dad died having those dreams where it felt like he was just out of reach or just out of sight or had been there and then just left or he was just going somewhere and I had missed him ā€“ but it always had that same feeling that heā€™d been there and then he wasnā€™t and thatā€™s how it feels now with these dreams about mum.

A friend also said to me try and think of it like your mum is telling you sheā€™s okay and she is where she needs to be now and to try and be comforted by that. Sometimes it works, like with everything to do with grief, and then other times itā€™s hard to find the comfort because of the pain.

It really helps being on here and talking about all of this and reading your experiences and sharing ā€“ thank you.

Big hugs to you all
Nam xx

2 Likes

I canā€™t stop crying todayā€¦:cry:

I miss mum so much. I look at her photograph and canā€™t believe that all she is now is photographs and memories. I want so much to see her, to talk and hear her voice, to laugh with her and ask her advice about stuff. I just want her to be here, in my world again, even though that sounds so selfish. The pain is hard to bear on days like thisā€¦:broken_heart:

2 Likes

Oh my gosh I feel for you. Some days are just so very hard. Big massive hug to you. Be kind to yourself and know that your Mum is with you. x

1 Like

Thank you @Danson I appreciate that. She died unexpectedly in February, and I hadnā€™t been able to see her because she had moved to a care home and there was a no visitors policy. I never saw her room, or helped her unpack her things - she died 10 days after she arrived there and only 2 days before we would have been able to visit her - itā€™s all very raw.

Days like today I just canā€™t get my head together at all xx

Covid restrictions made everything so very hard. It was inhuman. My Mum had a fall in her care home and throughout her hospital stay no visitors were allowed. Every fibre of my being needed to be there to care for her but that was denied, taken away from us. By the time I could see her sheā€™d had a stroke and could not communicate. She passed a very short time afterwards.
Iā€™m sorry you had to go through what you did. Iā€™m sure there are so many of us who are going to take a long time to come to terms with the unnatural circumstances.
I had a like you are having yesterday. Iā€™m better today though.
Take care and I hope youā€™ll feel a bit better soon. x

Iā€™m so very sorry @Danson what a cruel way to have lost your mum. Inhuman is right - we were kept apart from those people we loved and who we needed to be there with. Sorry doesnā€™t seem adequate, but I really am - itā€™s heartbreaking.

I agree that there are so many of us who are struggling with these circumstances - even if our loved people didnā€™t die of covid, which is awful in itself, its impact has been devastating for us in other ways. I believe it has complicated the process of grieving, and meant it is even more bewildering and difficult. It has denied us so much, like you say.

Yes these days come and are bad, and then ease again for a while. Itā€™s helpful to be reminded of that xx

1 Like

Thank you, x

1 Like