Where do i begin?

Hi

I have decided i need to talk to someone about the multiple bereavements i have suffered. However, im finding it hard to get help and support. I did contact Cruise but they told me due to demand they have a long waiting list (months rather than weeks!) and i would need to complete a referral form. I then had one session with a private counsellor (£30.00), but it seemed to be more about filling in forms and signing paperwork. I was wondering, if i go to see my doctor would i get a counselling appointment quicker?
I just want to talk to someone about how im feeling…

Hi Rain Clouds,

I’m so sorry to hear about the multiple bereavements you have suffered. It sounds as though things are very tough. I think you’re right that you could do with some support and I’m glad that you’ve asked about that here.
The Samaritans are always there 24/7 if you need to talk about anything that’s
bothering you (116 123, or jo@samaritans.org).
You can also make an appointment with your GP and ask to be referred to
counselling or other support services in your area.
We offer online bereavement counselling to members of this community.
This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can
attend from home. There’s more information about this service here:
https://support.sueryder.org/bereavement-counselling

Take care,
Hazel
Online Community team

Multiple bereavements! I’m so sorry. You have taken the courage to come on here and talk and that’s a big step. Everyone here knows and understands and you are surely among friends. You are by no means alone at this painful time. The feeling of isolation is so common in grief. You can be in a crowd or with relatives but still feel lonely.
Seeing your GP is a good idea anyway, because grief can affect us physically and you may need to feel reassured about any physical problems.
Counselling depends so much on the counsellor and if they are trained in bereavement counselling. It needs be someone you trust. This site is about unloading your fears and worries among those who understand. Something you may not find outside.
Without being unkind, talking to anyone who has not suffered in this way is pretty useless. They may be kind in their way and tell you that ‘time will heal’, or ‘It’s ok, give it a month or two’.
Everyone reacts to grief in their own way and in their own time. There are no time limits or rules in this awful business. But try and look ahead. Even if right at the back of your mind you see a little chink of light it’s a beginning. I don’t know how long since your bereavements and it may be too early to talk about light. Now take care. Look after yourself. Blessings.

Dear Jonathan

Thank you for your reply. It did take a lot of courage to come on here… I feel like this site is the first help and support i have received from anyone. You are so right about a lot of things…it does need to be someone you trust, and talking to anyone who hasn’t suffered in this way is a waste of time. I feel that each of my bereavements have taken away a little piece of my life and my past. However, your kind words have given me a little hope, and small things can make a difference.
Thank you for kindness and support.

Hi, I have also had multiple bereavements. When my husband died I went to Family Cruise, more recently when my daughter died I went to bereavement counselling at my local hospice and found it helpful, more so the group counselling than the one to one. Perhaps your local hospice has counselling. It’s worth a try.

Hi Rainclouds, so sorry for your pain it must be so hard. I have counselling at my local hospice and it took about 6/8 weeks to see someone but its worth the wsit it helps so much. Give them a call, they also have group meetings so you would be with others who understand how you feel. Xx

Dear gina2411

Thank you for your helpful message. I will certainly look up my local hospices and ask if they have any counselling.

Kind Regards

Hi Berniea

Thank you for your reply. I will try to find out if my local hospice offers any support.

Thank you.

Hi Rain Clouds
So sorry for your continuous grief. Your best counsellor is you. Grief quite rightly does take a piece of your heart because that piece of your heart represents the love you felt for the person you lost and the legacy they left you. Embrace that love and treasure it, see it as a blessing and not a loss. There is a saying that is so true when you are bereaved, " better to have loved and lost than never loved at all" Nobody can feel what you feel and your grief is unique to you but you are never alone because we all walk this path together in loss. Your inner compass will guide you and show you the way forward and this grieving club will cheer you on and walk it with you
Love Lyn x

1 Like

Hi Hazel

Thank you for your advice about the Samaritans. I rang them yesterday, i was just feeling so overwhelmed and i had no one to talk to, so i remembered your advice and i rang them. It was so helpful to know i could ring someone and talk when i was feeling down. So, thank you for your very helpful advice. x