Wonderful

I have just watched a wonderful programme on BBC1, about VE celebrations, our wonderful Queen spoke very movingly too.
Maybe the reason I finished up in tears was the fact that I can remember VE day so well.
I knew on that day that I would see my dad again. It is 31 years tomorrow since he died and I still miss him.
dadchipcap2
Dad in his square bashing kit, this was before he was posted into the Royal Artillary
Regiment.

3 Likes

Sweet Mary. I’m so glad you got your dad back from the war. The Queen’s speech was moving as always. Isn’t she wonderful? Xx

4 Likes

very nice picture Mary’one of the many unsung heros of the war,its thanks to your dad and many many more ordinary folk who played a massive part in preserving our liberties.
regards
ian

3 Likes

Thank you, Kate and Ian,
I cried when the Queen said that our streets are full of love and care, on the whole she is right.
I became a staunch Royalist at the age of 5 years, we were taken from out infants’ classroom to the top of Old Mill Lane, in Barnsley, I went to St. Mary’s Church of England from being 4 years old, just for a year and then my mum and I moved house.
My mother was walking on Church Lane, when she came across my teacher and this crocodile of small children, she asked the teacher what was going off? She told my mum that we were going to see the King and Queen, we were so excited. The time came for them to pass, and this huge black car drove slowly passed us, we waved our little handkies and I was most disappointed that they weren’t wearing their crowns. I remember that the Queen was wearing a lovely shade of blue.
Ten years afterwards, I was working in Barnsley Town Hall and in my dinner-break, I used to go into the Mayor’s Parlour to look at the black and white photos of that momentous day.
I am sorry to go on and on, but it was a very special day.

3 Likes

What a lovely story Mary. I’m a staunch royalist too. I have recently been very saddened by the departure of Prince Harry from ‘The Firm’. I find it hard to believe that it’s what he truly wants. The Queen, like any other mother or grandmother, has her ups and downs but she copes admirably. I’m also a fan of Charles and Camilla. I know a lot of people are not but I do think Camilla has been very good for him. Oh Mary, you and I could have a good conversation about the royal family. :thinking::blush: xx

2 Likes

We could indeed, Kate. I can remember when the Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were married, we were given a day off school, I sat with my ear glued to the wireless and listened to their wedding ceremony. Other kids were playing out, but I suppose that was normal for children, I was only 8 years old.
I agree with you in respect of Prince Harry, he certainly does not look happy, he hasn’t looked happy since he became engaged to Meghan, I think that she is the boss in that marriage. I bet he is homesick and longs to see his family. It is so sad.
I think that the Queen has done a wonderful job, as for Charles and Camilla, I too am warming to them, she has certainly made him happy. It would be lovely to have a chat about the royal family.
Take care and stay safe. x x x :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Mary,
Glad to see your internet must be working better :smiley: I love reading your stories and seeing your lovely photos, thank you for sharing xxx

2 Likes