XMAS 2

This will be my second Xmas without my wife. Last year we cremated her on the 9th and I came home and shut the door. Two weeks later I went to her Mothers, as we always did, and it was shit, like it always was. I went home, closed the door once more and saw no one till February. It was something I had no choice in, I was lost and the world was just too hard.

This year, I really don’t know what to expect, but I know it wont be as bad as last year, and for me that’s a relief I feel able to indulge in. I understand now that life will go up and down as it always does, my emotions will come and go, I’ll find things terrifying, I’ll find things joyful. None of that will bring my wife back, but I can keep her with me by living my life in all its confusing and uncertain detail.

This Friday I’m going with the joy of midwinter, solstice is coming, the planet will tilt and we’ll move back towards spring. We loved midwinter eve, my wife and I, our ‘works night out’. Go to the pubs, celebrate the change, looking for life, looking to summer, mark the past. I’ll do something different this year, maybe watch the sun rise, cook on a stove, go for a walk, meet with a friend, try and make new traditions, find new camaraderie, new excitements.

In all that, I’ll celebrate her, reflect on the change, perhaps embrace and accept them both. I really think it’s all there to be lived, it takes effort and it takes time, it’s never going to be what it was, but then nothing ever is. It will still be something I made with her. Together.

23 Likes

@Walan that sounds so positive. Every decision will have its edges but those edges get less sharp as we move forward and make new paths. I love the idea of heading towards spring. I love spring, new life and warmer, longer days. Have a nice time Friday x

6 Likes

It is bith our birthdays in spring and I will celebrate his day. We couldn’t do alot for his 50th this year with him being ill but l still took him out. I will make sure every year is celebrated. He deserves that and much more xx

3 Likes

@Ali29 It’s really all that I love about this time of year, the thought of spring, the Evergreen, permanence and rebirth.

Friday 3:27 am, we’re off towards summer solstice x

5 Likes

@Walan love this post. “Continuing bonds”…we continue to go forwards but we never leave them behind…

7 Likes

@Sarlyn That’s the ambition, let’s see what happens.

2 Likes

@Walan love the positivity of this post. I too am looking forward to the solstice and all that the new year brings. I’m hoping the journey becomes lighter and the dark days fewer. I will carry my husband with me wherever the path takes me.

5 Likes

Hi, on Friday it’s my husband’s birthday , the third one without him here for me to spoil him . I tried last year on his birthday not to be so sad, and to be thankful that he had been born on that day and we had met ,and had a wonderful ,happy, , loving marriage and life . That day is his day and if he is watching me ,I didn’t want him to be sad because I was. Strange how our minds work when we are grieving . Xtake carex

6 Likes

@Jan17 I love solstice, it’s the one thing, twice a year, I feel a connection with. Everything keeps turning, the inevitable change, there’s comfort in that. Life continues

2 Likes

Thank you @Walan, your post does stir in me a tiny glimmer of hope for some sort of a bearable future. And the solstice on Friday at 3:27am. Both are definitely good things.

2 Likes

Year 2 for me as well . 20th tomorrow the day my wife died . I will be taking flowers to a country park where we loved to walk and where I scattered her ashes in a lovely stream . With the birds and the quite . Not some pointless church yard . I’m done with God’s mercy blar blar blar !! never believed in fantasy anyway . It’s going to be traumatic but nothing short of lack of breath will stop me going . I will have a chat then raise a cup off coffee to the the old girl at the cafe !! All the best to you all

5 Likes

I feel for you especially wanting to stay at home last year I lost my husband two weeks ago and I feel the same didn’t go out until this week I ventured out with my son I think for me it’s about starting a life that he’s not part of was it the same for you . I am glad you feel able to think of moving forward and wish you the strength to do so at this difficult time for people in our situation.

3 Likes

It’s the second Christmas for me as well. Frances passed away 18 months ago after 55 years together. This year is harder the pain is harder to bear, hopefully time will heal but I cannot believe in it. Yet.

2 Likes

Just returned from Christmas dinner at my daughter’s . It was lovely to be with family seeing the excitement in my grandchildren . But boy did I feel like the elephant in the room !!

1 Like

Walan, I feel the same as everything you wrote beautifully here. The world cannot see how hard it feels some days. I wish you a smooth passage through Christmas, and know that your beautiful wife is watching over you, and encouraging you, with strength, to make those new small connections that will help you move forwards. We do this, in their memory, and while carrying them in our hearts. We never forget, we hold them in our hearts, just as they continue to carry us through life. Together, always. x

4 Likes