Bereavement payment - not means tested

I just wanted to let others know that you can get help with the costs of a funeral which is not means tested! I got £2500 + 18 monthly payments of £100 per month so effectively £4300
You just type In ‘Bereavement Support Payment’ don’t get confused with the other support for funerals by HMRC!

If you need help please ask me! It was so easy and quick!

Derek

5 Likes

I wasnt entitled to a bereavement payment. Not everyone is. Yes worth checking.

Did you try for the wrong one! It’s unusual not to get this one! Try typing in exactly the words I said as there are 2 types. HMRC are very sneaky! I may be wrong as your personal circumstances may differ. It’s also worth noting that you can claiming it after the funeral but it does start to go down with time!

yes its free to every one unless youve not paid enough national insurance stamps/ contributions, which sadly some widows/wodowers havent done.
and its only just changed where none married partners can now qualify to recieve the payments.
more to this than just applying for the payments.

Even our undertaker didn’t realise…. I printed it off so he could copy it and offer it to people who have just lost someone…. It took the pressure off of me! To save sending it off you can just take a copy of Jobcentre. The one in Chelmsford was great! They were so sorry for my lose, offered me further help - just go in at any time! I didn’t need it but they went the extra mile! It also made me go out!

It’s worth people asking though A large percentage of people are entitled to this one. If not, they fall under the other one……

Not if you’re not married or in a civil partnership. You get sod all.

Yes! That needs changing urgently! It’s all outdated……

1 Like

I think it depends on your age as well, someone said if getting a pension you dont qualify but worth checking.

The law changed so peopple that lived together can claim. So worth looking into it.

1 Like

Bit late; it was 11 months ago now. But thanks.

if you read my comment you would of seen that ive said that now partners can get said bereavement payments .
plus you are saying its been 11 months well you still have time to claim unless the rules have changed on time limits.

back to partners, sad sick and true when i joined this site over 4 years ago
no partners were allowed claim . then last year something was passed and you could make a back dated claim and sadly people like me could only claim if it was 3 years ago that id lost my partner.
but it is good now that they have realised way more couples live together than get married and will if you qualify with having paid enough insurance stamps/income tax get said payments.

1 Like

Just checked; sadly, you need to have been under State Pension age when your partner died.

thats sick Catrin.
but to anyone who wishes to look at illegibilty
follow this link all the info you need is covered.
Bereavement Support Payment: Eligibility - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

heres a bit of the important info

• paid a certain amount of Class 1 or Class 2 National Insurance contributions in any one tax year since 6 April 1975
  • died because of an accident at work or a disease caused by work
    You can still make a claim if you’re not sure whether your partner paid enough National Insurance contributions. The Bereavement Service will let you know.

If your partner died before 9 February 2023

You may be able to get backdated payments of Bereavement Support Payment if:

• your partner died after 5 April 2017
  • when your partner died, you were living together as if you were married
  • you were under State Pension age on 30 August 2018

You must have also either been pregnant when your partner died, or had a child living with you when your partner died and either:

• you got Child Benefit for that child between when your partner died and when you make your claim
  • you’ve been told by the Child Benefit Office that you were entitled to Child Benefit for that child between when your partner died and when you make your claim

You must apply before 9 November 2024 to get any backdated payments.

If your partner died before 6 April 2017, you may be able to get Widowed Parent’s Allowance instead.

If you were living with your partner as if you were married

Unless you’re applying for a backdated payment, one of the following must have applied when your partner died:

• you were getting Child Benefit for a child that lived with you
  • you were told by the Child Benefit Office that you were entitled to Child Benefit for a child that lived with you, even if you chose not to get it
  • you were pregnant

If your partner was getting or entitled to Child Benefit instead, you’ll need to make a new claim for Child Benefit in your name before you can apply for Bereavement Support Payment.

@Jianye @DerekG
Did you both claim on-line or post the the paper forms ? Also, do you both have children under 18/19?
I have tried a few times and I’m told I’m not eligible because I’m not pregnant and we don’t have children.

1 Like

I got it. I was 60, and my husband was 60. No children at home, and it was 2500 lump sum and £100 per month for 18 months. If you are pension age, then you can’t claim.
It may be different if you lived together but were not married, although that shouldn’t make any difference as you were still partners.

1 Like

i didnt qualify or try get it as at that time none married partners were treated like lepers. like i said its not as simple as just applying and hey presto money coming your way. lots of hoops that were not mentioned by the thread starter.
if you were married its easier than not having been married but like ive said read all the criteria and if you do feel you can qualify make a claim.
from the reading ive done seems if you are merely an unmarried partner
you seemingly have to be young , as stating you have to have kids or be pregnant kinda implies that,
but what really grinds my gears is that the government even if every working person who loses a partner gets the full payout the government are still paying out way less than if said partner reached pension age,
and lets face it they tax us to the hilt as it is in every day life.
i for one aint fussed for myself now as its way past my chance make a claim,
but i hope they take a look again as just because someone isnt married or have children
doesnt mean they are in a place financially to pay for a funeral etc.
and no one should be put in debt to pay for a funeral.
thats my very much opinionated opinion.

3 Likes

I fully agree with you, my husband worked from 16 years old but passed away at age 60. He paid into the state pension, but will never get any of his payments and none are given to me. I would love the governments to actually look at widows and widowers as we loose our loved ones but are also financially at a disadvantage as we are down on income as well.

1 Like

Thank you @Jianye.
Like you, I doubt I’ll get anywhere. Not married, no kids, not in receipt of benefits but I’ve downloded the form and I’m sending off a copy.
The most I’ll lose is the cost of a stamp x

2 Likes

It’s all wrong!
As if we don’t have enough to deal with…

2 Likes