Bereavement payment - not means tested

Hi Derek I wasn’t allowed anything as it was all left to his youngest daughter his ex wife and parents whom hated me the parents aswell and I’ve never ever met in the few years I was with my fiancé paid for his funeral I wasn’t allowed to attend was pushed out etc because we weren’t married I couldn’t claim from DWP they had everything all I got was his engagement ring as he didn’t have a will and life insurance

1 Like

Oh I’m so sorry to hear that Evey! Isn’t it awful how in death all the wrong things and people appear! It should be for everyone to pay their last respects, especially you! If you paid for the funeral you can technically put a claim in against the will!
However, it’s so hard when we’re grieving to even think and want to do isn’t it! All you can try and do is take away all the good memories and move forward from there…… Let them feel guilty for treating you like they did!

I’m not entitled because I’m over state pension age - just, I reached state pension age in November 23 and my husband died in March 24. I do now get an additional payment on my state pension though which I didn’t realise I would get. Apparently it should happen automatically but mine was missed so I had to call the DWP bereavement line. They were really helpful and got it sorted out for me. I don’t think everyone qualifies as it’s to do with how your partner’s state pension was made up, but it could be worth checking for those ‘too old’ for the bereavement support payment.

It’s a shame isn’t it!

I seem to be getting replies from people who can’t get it, not the ones who can get it…

I only posted it it because so many people don’t know about it……

I received £4000 did not know about this the ladies at the co op.funeral directors put me on to it im only on state pension took about 2 weeks to come through went straight into my bank account apply you never know good luck

1 Like

yes i was told about that and phoned them up just waiting for the forms we have to get arrangements down first i think that we said how does it work sorry

You can do it online if you look - that’s how I done it. It was very quick surprisingly and the payment was fairly quick as things go! I applied just Just after arranging my wife’s funeral ( celebration of life I prefer to call it! Funeral & wake are to morbid……)

I’ll send you the link to complete it online if you want?

Sorry for your loss - I hope you’re coping… I found the funeral the worse bit. Mind you. It’s all a train crash really and I’m so sad still and trying to get some sort of ‘normality’ each day without much success.

sorry to hear your lost and still have time to help …thank you so much the chap on the phone said he was sending the forms out to or i can phone them and they go through you with it but my partner only passed monday so everything is a well you know

1 Like

yes that would be good and yes celebrations of life is so much better

Oh Tracy, That’s so recent, I’m sorry to hear it… i hope you’ve got plenty of support around you? If not, just message me as I’m happy to try & help! I lost my wife on July 15th… it eases a bit but still hard! Everywhere is quiet in the house & I have to do everything on my own… I talk to her etc and it helps believe me! Anyway the link is here:

It should like this when you scroll down:

thank you so much for helping …and i have people i was a first time nanny on Tuesday evening losing my partner than had a granddaughter its hard to be happy and over joyed she has bought joy and my son is trying to help me aswell sorting baby out …
i hope you are doing ok and i cant thank you enough for your kindness

Congratulations❤️ I’m really pleased for you and your family. Your partner would want you to be pleased too!

My daughter was just a couple of weeks pregnant & hadn’t told me or my wife as she didn’t realise herself My wife said to her the week before she passed away, ‘you’ve got to look after the baby now’! Nobody knew what she meant & thought it was linked in with her cancer……

Funny things happen & I feel her around me all the time… I can smell her & just sense her! I can’t explain it….

Perhaps it was meant to be? who knows! Your partner will live on in your Granddaughter!! I’m really pleased and I hope she can bring you some comfort! I’ve got two Grandchildren and it helps all of us, even if only for a while, initially, then you should take that. Congratulations and look out for the dirty nappies lol!!

Glad you found the link helpful.

Derek

I got the 2500 and 100 per month for 18 months. I’ve put it in savings and will share between my 9 grandchildren once I get the last payment in January. Rob knew that number 9 was on the way and desperately tried to be here for his birth, but he passed away 6 weeks before he was born. My son used Robert as his middle name to keep grandads memories alive

It’s so sad that he couldn’t hold on - upsetting for all of you…… Using his name as your Grandson’s middle name is a lovely gesture and he’ll always be remembered I’m sure.

A lovely gesture of putting the money into savings…. Again a little something for them to remember Grandad with😊 I’m sure Rob will approve!!

I’m still sorting out my finances as I had to do probate!! It’s a nightmare isn’t it what you have to do when you’re Spouse/Partner passes sway before you. I’m sure the Government could make it easier! Not charging fees to start with! £300 for starters to get at our own money! It’s criminal really!

I was lucky didnt need probate it was a very simple will. Everything was left to me, if i passed away then to my kid’s. I feel sorry for anyone that has to deal with probate.

Our wills were like that but it was just slightly over the limit with one bank! All the others were fine! The slog starts Monday morning! I’ve been putting it off as it seems hard! I’ve done some reading up on it and have decided to take the plunge rather than pay a solicitor a couple of thousand!

Watch this space lol!!!

Good for you. I thought about doing it myself, but I know my limitations. So I asked the solicitor to sort it. I know it will cost, but I have caring responsibilities and just couldn’t face it. The solicitor said that it could take up to 20 weeks from application to receiving the Grant of Probate, but it took about 4 weeks. I received the certificates last week. Now the work begins for me.
Good luck. Xx

You had to prioritise and good for you & your caring responsibilities.

They always say it’s going to take ages but it’s always less!!!

I used to be a Payroll Manager before the grey matter found the strain of 12 hour days too much! HOWEVER the fight remains in me! If I get it wrong and it gets sent back, so be it! I’ll go again!

Come this time next week I’ll probably be a wreck having to deal with being on my own, not cooking properly, grieving, washing, doing probate etc etc!!!

If you’ve not lost someone before, you just can’t even begin to imagine the devastation & heartache can you!!

Derek

Onwards and upwards, my friend.
Life sucks,
But we will all get ‘there’ eventually, wherever ‘there’ is.
Xx

1 Like

That’s my aim!! Roller coaster of emotions to get there but I’m staying positive- trying too x