Bereavement payment - not means tested

at the moment i find is getting out of bed we was early birds always made me tea in the mornings it feels like it is getting harder and we havent even begun yet … so i get that bit like a roller coaster and not be able to sleep and just lay there and say why

I did probate for my mums flat when she passed away, did it all on line and was very quick. My husband made sure he had sent most of his funds to me during his last 2 weeks as he knew time was short together and didnt want me having any worries with the bank.

Take baby steps each day will be different
i have a to-do list on my freezer. Once one job is done, I can wipe it off. It helps me feel that I’ve accomplished something. I am 13 months into this journey and I am finding that I have more good days than bad, I can talk about Rob without as many tears.

1 Like

its not been a week yet and i still so numb but that seems a good idea every little thing well help im just so lost he was my best friend sole mate my world sorry i just know where to turn but finding this site does help and the information i have got is so helpful

Still so soon - give yourself some time to take it in…. This site and the people who are in the same situation including me! Are here for when you need help or just a chat! x

It’s the grief and stress kicking in! I’m going to bed at midnight at the moment and getting up at 10:00! It’s the tiredness and grief kicking in! Mine is gradually getting better… I hope yours does too….

Its very soon for you take care , we are all here to help you in anyway we can. Dont rush anything take your time.

1 Like

I was lucky that st Barnabas end of life nurse told me to ring benefits office and put in claim.
Was done over the phone. I think when I registered the death all official places were notified tax council etc so was quick and easy to do. it is for those Where the deceased has not had any of their state pension.

all thank you for your support and like you said we are all in the same boat its so hard …time is like standing still sleep is just a no no and eating very little i know we to keep or strength up but its how x

You will start eating more but the 1st few weeks are hard as you are dealing with your loss, grief and all the paperwork that has to be completed. Everyone deals with it in different ways so do it at your pace and your way as there is no right or wrong way to do this journey.

Thank you for the advice derek but because we wasn’t living together and married I can’t claim his parents and ex wife I believe paid for the funeral because his daughter is only 16 up your right memories and move forward the past year hasn’t been easy some days are ok and some sad but I’ve joined a support group women only every Wednesday and I go to free bingo twice a week when I have money I don’t work be side of vertigo and sciatica the will can’t be testified as it’s been over a year and he wanted it all gone to his youngest we did speak about things few years back but I don’t mind her having it just the ex never let him have a life as she made it a living hell I hope he’s at peace now and DJ to the best people ever

We were told it would take 4-6 months to get the grant, and it’s been 4 months and 9 days, with no sign yet.

Chase it up i got mine within 6 weeks.

Was it the same Funeral expenses one?

No mine was the 2500 then 100 per month for 18 months.

Sorry Punto, I meant to reply to burgled! I got mine about 2weeks also!
Having a bad day today again……

Sorry you are having a bad day, take your time and dont rush. X

I too have received this same allowance. Yes it was easy to complete and response very quickly.

Same but got it within two weeks. Very quick.

You’re right, a pensioner is not able to claim anything, which I think is awful. I know as I applied a year ago when I lost my husband. I was 71 then and living on my pension, so help would have been welcome!