CREATING A SHRINE FOR MY MAM

Have a safe journey back. Sun getting out later. Lovely pics xxx

2 Likes

Great pics Debbie x

2 Likes

Thank you Neil, I hope you are doing okay X X

2 Likes

Hi everyone :slight_smile:
Have caught up with everyone and seems to have been a bit of a mixed week for some of us.

I was at Edinburgh zoo yesterday for a long service meal with the work. Food wasnā€™t very revolutionary but was tasty so canā€™t really complain then we got to have a free wander round the zoo. I donā€™t really like zoos but meeting old friends that I havenā€™t seen for ages was fun and had a good laugh.

4 Likes

Had a Halloween outing tonight with a few friends where we went to watch a horror movie in an old Church and there were characters that kept jumping out at you during the filmā€¦so busy watching out for people jumping out on you I donā€™t think any of us were really watching the movie :joy: x

Wishing you all a good couple of days and hugs to everyone :heart: xx

2 Likes

Hi Suzanne
Absolutely love the pics that you, Debbie and Christine have posted this week. Been very difficult this week so seeing these uplifting pics has made me feel better. The Halloween pics at the church are so good and Iā€™m so glad you were out and managed to be able to enjoy yourself and it does make a difference doesnā€™t it and it is possible,even just for a few hours or a day, to do 'normal ā€™ things that we enjoy and your Mum would certainly want that.
Iā€™m planning a trip to London on Wed- a museum that I want to visit before it closes and moves to another site , might take in something else too and at 5pm I have added Mum and Dads names to the list of lost loved ones to be remembered at a special All Souls Day Eucharist at St Paulā€™s Cathedral which I am very much hoping to attend in person. Their names will be placed at the altar with lots of others and remembered at the service. Just something I need to do, especially at this difficult time of the year.
Anyway, once again love the pics.
Sending love and best wishes
Neil x

2 Likes

Hi Suzanne,
Great pics of the zoo. You can guess my fave - the tortoises getting frisky! Is that his ā€˜faceā€™ ! Looks fierce. And canā€™t imagine eating at the same time. Hilarious. And Iā€™m pleased you met up with some old mates and had a laugh.
Your Halloween event looks really good. Great masks. Looks like something out of a horror film. My kinda thing but Iā€™m sure the anxiety would be heading towards panic the whole time with my imagination in overdrive. There was a film where the people were tortured for real but the others thought it was all part of the act, until it was their turn. Wish I could remember the names of films.
You will have read how shocked I was when I went to grab some things from my sisters garden (mam and dadā€™s rocks, potted plants etc). The garden is a dumping ground for all sorts of stuff and resembles Steptoeā€™s garden. Iā€™m not joking. My niece is really not coping and Iā€™m not surprised judging by the state of the place. I canā€™t understand how my sister can just walk away and think thatā€™s ok. The offer to move has fallen through so I donā€™t know what is happening now. The situation is just ridiculous. Iā€™ll continue to ferry garden pots over and hopefully will encourage the cleaning up process, though I donā€™t know how sheā€™ll get rid of stuff (including a massive armchair). A skip wonā€™t be big enough, thatā€™s how bad it is. Iā€™m still shocked. Itā€™s like the hoardersā€™ programme where they have to clear out stuff or leave. Unbelievable. The children are clearly traumatised. Iā€™m going to encourage my niece to start going out on the bikes and swimming because sheā€™s not leaving the house and just sleeping all day. My sister isnā€™t doing anything to help her from the looks of it.
It was nice spending time in the garden with my little nephew. Iā€™ll try again today to see if he wants to come over and set up the fairy dell at mine until he moves or the garden is cleared if they go back there. And I have a pumpkin for him.
Lots of love xxx

2 Likes

Hi Neil,
Glad you liked the pics. I know I have very bleak periods but when I do get out in the garden itā€™s nice to share and feels like Iā€™m giving something back to you all for helping me through. It also encourages me to do more and I think of you all as Iā€™m going round.
Even on your bad weeks you are strong and Iā€™m always inspired by your determination to keep getting out on your visits, knowing they will uplift you and keep you going. Iā€™m hoping to start the swimming again and encourage my niece to join me. I didnā€™t know she was very depressed and thought she was out and about a lot of the time because of cancelling swimming in the summer. Sheā€™s not going out at all now and Iā€™m really worried about her. I hope sheā€™ll start going out on the bikes again. Thereā€™s some lovely parks round here. If I get her out each day she might find some direction again. She really shouldnā€™t have deferred uni and wouldnā€™t be dealing with my sisters mess.
That is a wonderful thing to do, adding your mam and dad to the remembrance at St Paulsā€™. Can anyone do it and is it online? I might see about adding mam. She would like that. Anything I can do for her I will. Brings on the tears just thinking of her because it hits me that sheā€™s not here. Less than 4 weeks now (25 Nov). I donā€™t understand how Iā€™ve managed to get through a year without her. She would be shocked at the state of my sisters garden and very upset. I was trying to be mam when I was chatting to my little nephew. Iā€™m sure the rest of the family have no idea about the state of the place or the situation.
Hoping to set up mams fairy dell around the big pond if my nephew will come over. Itā€™s a nice thing for him to do and I have a pumpkin for him to carve. If he knows mamā€™s fairies are safe and he can visit util heā€™s settled again it might ease his trauma. I had no idea of that situation. Hope the creep goes out but if he doesnā€™t I canā€™t really have anyone over.
I barely slept last night and had to take a sleeping tablet for the first time in ages. Enjoyed the heavy downpour during the night. All the pots Iā€™ll be lugging over will be soaked so will have to drain them first.
Keep looking forward to your trips Neil. Like you said, whatever we can do to keep going is what we must do.
Lots of love xxx

3 Likes

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your kind words and yes it is nice to feel ā€˜normalā€™ again even if it is only for a few hours.
Iā€™m sorry to hear youā€™ve had a bit of a crappy few days but very happy to hear to you have plans for this week especially with it being a Wednesday. I so hope you manage to get to St Paulā€™s as that would be so positively emotional to remember your mum and dad. Iā€™ve never heard of this before and wonder if there is anything like that up hereā€¦I will investigate.

What museum is it youā€™re going to on Wed? x. Are you having a few chill days until then or so you have anything planned for any of the other days?

Iā€™m on hols this week so meeting up with a friend on Monday and having lunch with mums best friend on Thursday but other than that nothing planned.

Have a nice weekend whatever you chose to do and will catch up soon x
Take care :two_hearts: x

2 Likes

Hi Suzanne,
You deserve some time off after working so hard. Nice to have things planned but also to take it easy and just do nothing. Itā€™ll whizz by and youā€™ll be back to work before you know it, wondering where the time has gone.
Iā€™ve spent all day trying to sort out broadband connections dropping out, faffing with cameras, trying to set up mail on my iphone, going round in circles and getting nothing done. I hate technology when it doesnā€™t work. Iā€™m so tired because I didnā€™t sleep and canā€™t go into the garden because the creep is at home. I was deleting files and came across info Iā€™d forgotten about. I had contacted my MP about what the creep did and because I had no proof and he denied it the council were unable to do anything and the MP was just acting as a go between. I wonder what councils did before camera evidence. Not a lot. And the Ombudsman didnā€™t find any failings with the surgery after I complained and it wasnā€™t dealt with. I wonā€™t complain in future because it really isnā€™t worth my time. Itā€™s been such a tough slog this year (not including mam). My sisterā€™s move fell through so I donā€™t know what is happening now. But Iā€™ll try getting my niece swimming and out on the bikes again. She needs to get out the house and enjoy the things she did before. Gives me a bit of a boost knowing she needs my help. I thought she was too busy to see me and itā€™s not the case.
Thought of other horror films where they wear masks and terrorise people, not just on Halloween. Masks are so freaky. You doing anything on the actual day? All the lovely things will be starting that I used to do with the family, bonfire and fireworks displays, trick or treating, iceskating, checking out the fabulous xmas displays and being shocked at the hoards of peeps buying really expensive baubles. Looking forward to getting the xmas tree for mam for the garden like last year, a tribute to her because I canā€™t do anything else and am dreading the entire xmas period. I used to love getting lost between xmas and the New Year where the days blended into each other. I seem to always be living in a blended blur. Have you got xmas off?
Not heard from my sister or niece since seeing them yester doing the garden runs. Have lots to tidy in the garden but the creep will be watching and I donā€™t have the energy to even try.
Going for a little nap. Enjoy your week!
Lots of love xxx

2 Likes

Hi Suzanne
Hope you have a nice, peaceful week off. I should have mentioned the museum which is the Museum of London. It closes in just over a month before moving to a larger site in Smithfield nearby. They still have their docklands museum to visit in the meantime. So an afternoon in the ā€˜oldā€™ part of London with all that Roman history . Will have a walk round and try and do a couple of other things too.
Tomorrow West Ham away to Man Utd but nothing else planned until Wed. Oh and feeding my neighbourā€™s cat for a couple of days early next week!
Neil x

3 Likes

Hi Christine :slight_smile:
Sorry I took so long to reply but was going to reply straight after I replied to Neil but had an influx of visitors come in to the Loch lol x
Yeah Iā€™m meeting a friend on Monday but at night itā€™s a very special night for me being Samhain (Halloween) and this year will be very poignant and hard as itā€™s the first one without mum x itā€™s our night for honouring the past year and the people we have lost so will make it extra special this year.

Itā€™s all a bit of a mess with your niece and sisterā€™s move falling through isnā€™t it? Your niece does sound like sheā€™s depressed so hoping sheā€™ll get some help and support it would appear she needs.
Such a shame their garden is a tip and disrespected your mumā€™s memory x is it a possibility that they gave up tending to it cause they thought they were moving :woman_shrugging:? x I hope your niece does manage to start swimming again even if itā€™s just to get out the house for an hour or so.

Sad to read that Creep is still hanging aboutā€¦really wish that guy would just bugger off but hopefully youā€™ll get your cameras working so youā€™ll get the proof your damn council and MP needā€¦like you said how did they manage to do anything before all this technology? They have become so reliant on it now it would appear they have forgotten how to their job without it.

Having lunch during the week with one of mumā€™s best friends and havenā€™t seen her for a few months so itā€™ll be nice to catch up with her.

The rain up here today was horrendous so not sure what itā€™s like down with you but hoping you can get into the garden.

The bottom photo is one I took of the Loch today and the other is Cal and Apollo having snoozy time lol x

Take care and hopefully youā€™ll get swimming or cycling soon with your niece and maybe spend more time with your nephew :green_heart: xx

3 Likes

Hi Suzanne,
Lovely to hear from you. Sounds like Halloween means more than just tricks, treats and lanterns. Mam always had the garden table covered in a collection of little gourds which the children took home after visiting. Weā€™d have sparklers in the garden. It was really about the children but we did have a big party and dressing up one year at mine which was fun. It was warm and we had a barby to celebrate. It will be hard for you because youā€™ll be doing stuff to celebrate and youā€™ll feel your mams absence more. I wonā€™t be doing anything. I wanted to give my pumpkin to my little nephew but my sister left and I donā€™t know when Iā€™ll see him again. The thought of carving out a face on my own in the garden is too sad to even attempt. Was going to make some pumpkin soup like mam did. Sheā€™s not here to ask how to do it. Enjoy your night, even if it is with a heavy heart. Your mam will be glad youā€™re marking the occasion. I could ask my niece if she wants to come over tomorrow to do the pumpkin. She has a boyfriend so Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m being too needy or pushy. Havenā€™t seen her in ages.
Iā€™m still appalled and shocked at the state of the garden and the situation with my sister and her absence. I was so upset when I got home I phoned my therapist. Itā€™s not surprising sheā€™s depressed. I hope she still goes to uni next year. Iā€™ll be here to support her by doing what we used to do. Itā€™s only because I donā€™t have the fight in me to keep being knocked back that I gave up trying. But I now know she needs support and stability and I can provide that. I still have lots of plants and other stuff to bring over. Sure sheā€™ll help me if itā€™s small trips. Weā€™ll have to do it between showers. Loved the heavy downpour during the night here when I couldnā€™t sleep. Ended up taking half a tablet at 5.30 am just to get a couple of hours.
Now I have my cameras up and one is blatantly pointing to the spot where I caught him watching my windows and ducking down behind the hedge (this is a grown man in his 50ā€™s!) the creep has been very quiet. Iā€™ve had to turn the notifications off as it was driving me mad. But Iā€™ll check that one to see what heā€™s up to. I just donā€™t get that thing of enjoying watching people. I have better things to do. Itā€™s only if I need evidence. The compost bins are in full view too after the lid was nicked and another taken off and placed on the lawn. These are adults playing games and waiting to see the response. I just donā€™t get it.
It will be lovely having lunch with your mamā€™s friend. Youā€™ll be remembering all sorts of stories. I wish I had that, to chat about mam with someone who loved her and wants to talk about her. Dad didnā€™t want me to mention her at all. How sad is that? And because Iā€™m so isolated that emptiness just keep growing. My sisters donā€™t seem to realise how close I was to mam and spoke to her every day, throughout the day. The phone never rings now and if it does it makes me jump.
Your pic of Cal and Apollo made me laugh. Theyā€™re so close to each other and Iā€™m surprised the cat likes being in the hay. Iā€™m quite miffed that Porsch hasnā€™t even tried her new furry cave. Runs away every time I show it to her. But she is enjoying a new bed in the hallway by the radiator - a furry gilet in front of the radiator. Sheā€™s so in the way when Iā€™m on my way to the bathroom.
Lovely pic of the loch. Would make a fab camp if the world was ending! You could fish and hunt and be secluded enough to not be bothered too much. I love apocalyptic films. The Road is really good.
Nothing on tv worth watching so Iā€™m nestled in bed and hope to find something to watch. The Good Nurse was very good if you want a film.
Hope to get in the garden or see my niece tomorrow but if the creep is at home I probably wonā€™t leave the house.
Enjoy your Halloween!
Lots of love xxx

2 Likes

Hi Christine

Just a quick visit to see how are you are. Iā€™d planned to go to bed earlier but Zoe is playing silly beggars and wonā€™t wee so Iā€™ve been stood in the back garden at 1.30am and still nothing!

Iā€™m upset for you over the garden situation at your Sisterā€™s. I know how that feels and the tears Iā€™ve shed over what my Brother has done to Mumā€™s garden so I can empathise. Do you remember Onslowā€™s garden in the BBC1 sitcom ā€œKeeping up Appearancesā€, well think of that combined with Steptoeā€™s back yard and you are on the right track with how things are here. There are some that just donā€™t understand how distressing it is, my Sister thinks I overreact.

I love your fabulous photos and Iā€™m very impressed that considering the time of year that you have so many plants still flowering. Youā€™ve done really well. Itā€™s sheer hard work and management on your part. You have achieved loads with it. Iā€™m intrigued when you mention the rocks that sparkle in the Sun from your Sisterā€™s. Are they in your photos? Iā€™d love to see them.

I understand what you mean about finding things on your computer that youā€™d forgotten about. It can be a bit like mystery tour of forgotten items once you start canā€™t it. Technology is great when it works but when it fails itā€™s utterly infuriating.

Itā€™s a good outcome now that you know your Sister isnā€™t moving away. Although there still sounds like there are many problems to sort out you know you wonā€™t be alone. I was pretty certain sheā€™d not be going but all this uncertainty would completely shatter my peace of mind so can only imagine how you are coping. It must be difficult for the children as like Suzanne mentions, it sounds like your niece has depression. Hope sheā€™s able to get some help. If you get to be in their life more often it will be a bit of welcome stability for them.

Was just thinking of your description of the time between Xmas and New Year and how itā€™s ā€œblendedā€ now. And thatā€™s exactly how I describe how I feel at the moment, its like a no-mans land or void. I canā€™t believe itā€™s almost been a year since our losses and us all coming together on the forum.

Iā€™ll have to see if I can get a nit of sleep as itā€™s almost 2.30am. no wonder I donā€™t know what Iā€™m doing these days, my brain doesnā€™t get much repair time.

Speak again and much love. xx

2 Likes

Greetings also to Neil

Just saying to Christine that I donā€™t know how weā€™ve survived the past year. I agree with her in her admiration of you getting out to your events. I can imagine that as well as being enjoyable that it has also been helpful for you.

Sorry thereā€™s been times when youā€™ve been not so good recently. They get to us donā€™t they. Today I had to go out and saw in the distance the same carers again that came to Mum and it completely knocks you back doesnā€™t it when faced with something out of the blue.

There should be a lot of activity in the theatres coming up I imagine. Does it then go a bit quieter after the panto season?

Sadly Neil, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve a cultured bone in my body!

Love and best wishes xx

3 Likes

Beki, Debbie, Suzanne.

Wonderful pictures. Love seeing everyoneā€™s photos. Very interesting to read Debbie about more of your holiday. Sounded really nice.

Love to all. xx

2 Likes

Hi Tina,
Itā€™s wonderful to see you here again. Iā€™ve missed you, as I always do when you donā€™t post. Can you believe Iā€™ve just got back from church? Went on the spur of the moment Didnā€™t even know it was All Saints Day. Went for mam. And they have a memorial service on Tues here so will attend that for mam. Cried, of course, but was also mesmerised by the wonderful knee cushions (such tiny stitches - will take my specs next time) and the architecture and beautiful windows. Not the same as going for the carol services when the children were little. And hardly any peeps. And I felt quite trapped at times but it seemed to undulate. There for quite a while. I did amuse myself thinking I could see a red tellytubby peeping at me on a cushion but it wasnā€™t. And Iā€™m not sure if you saw Suzanneā€™s pics of her Halloween church service but I kept imagining the creepy pig man watching me. And also an end of the world scenario where Iā€™d be trapped inside the church with peeps I donā€™t know. Think Iā€™ve filled my head with so much tv that I canā€™t find a quiet place in which to just sit. But I did think of mam and it was a very emotional service with lots of choir and prayer. Reminded me of being little at Sunday school. Wish I had kept going and not been so eager to get out in the world, wanting fun and excitement. I wish mam had someone to support her in the things that were precious to her. She stopped doing everything she loved. I wish Iā€™d been supportive and taken her. But I always thought it was dadā€™s role as her partner in life to do things with her. But he didnā€™t. Itā€™s only because sheā€™s gone now that Iā€™m even thinking of all this stuff. Itā€™s the old ā€˜what I coulda, woulda, shouldaā€™ scenario. Iā€™m so tired now. I also had a swim earlier and really felt it because I hadnā€™t been for a while.
Your description of Steptoe and Onslows gardens sums it up. I cried when I saw it. Things were always taken good care of by mam and dad, repairs made instead of just buying new. I think we are sensitive and caring souls who understand how precious things are. My sister likes to lay the blame everywhere and takes no responsibility. Iā€™m not even sure she sees what is infront of her. I was gobsmacked.
Thank you for saying that about my garden. Iā€™ve only been out there 3 times since getting covid and was surprised there was anything growing at all. Iā€™ll try to get some pics of the rocks. They have glints of gold that sparkle but Iā€™ll have to catch the sunshine.
Thereā€™s still lots of pots and plants to bring over. Whatever I can rescue. And it will be a nice surprise in Spring to see what comes up. Might still get some winter pansies to liven up the bare soil. Worth a try.
I got my cameras set up after so many weeks of faffing on and having to buy a refurb phone because the one I had was so old (emergencies only when Iā€™m out). So Iā€™ll be intrigued to see what my skank neighbour was up to parked in my disabled bay when I arrived back home. They moved but only because I wouldnā€™t move and needed to park. Iā€™ve reported them. Itā€™s the anti social woman who was on a behaviour order because she was terrorising the neighbours (tried to). I just despair of what I am living beside. They must think they canā€™t be seen in the dark.
My sister will still be moving but it could be any time. The anxiety of not knowing what is going on is keeping me awake. It was 5.30 one morning when I gave in to taking a sleeping tablet and then felt groggy the rest of the day. Iā€™ve tried booking swimming with my niece but nothing yet. She has a new boyfriend and seems to do nothing else but be with him. Not exactly healthy. So whatever I can do to coax her into getting out the house (including seeing my loft) will be my goal. But she doesnā€™t answer my calls or texts and then will reply hours later that she didnā€™t see it or was busy etc. Our relationship has really gone down hill since she kept cancelling swimming in the summer and I stopped trying.
I would truly be lost without you all on here. I believe we meet people in life at the right time when we need someone, whatever that may be. Caring for each other helps keep us going. Thatā€™s why I share my garden. Knowing it will brighten your day encourages me to really look at it. I was so upset to have missed the last Gardners World. And now the clocks have changed we have short days, and even shorter for me when I have to factor in the creep and his work timetable. And with so much rain I wonder if Iā€™ll ever get the trellises up.
Bought a pumpkin in with my shop last week. Still havenā€™t carved out a face. I had taken it to drop off with my niece to give to my little nephew but she wasnā€™t there. So I might just keep it and do it in mamā€™s memory. Itā€™s not a little gourd (she loved them and I donā€™t know why) but it will do and Iā€™ll take a pic. Iā€™ll try to make soup with the innards. I was always the one standing in the cold doing the pumpkins with the children. Itā€™s those traditions that I wonā€™t take part in on my own.
Will have to dash now as Iā€™ll be settling down to The Hand Maids Tale at 9. Still wondering though if my neighbour was checking out my house, seeing if the cameras were recording, with the intention of breaking in. Very unsettling.
Kisses to the cheeky Zoe. Still up to her old tricks I see of not weeing!
Lots of love xxx

2 Likes

Hi Neil,
Just wanted to let you know I went to church. On my own! You inspired me! Spur of the moment opportunity for evening carols and prayer at the local church. Not many in at all. But I was thinking of you while I was there. Was upset but not as emotional as I thought I would be. I think Iā€™ll have to go a few times before I can really settle into the quiet and calm space. My head was buzzing with all sorts. I have a very active imagination and Iā€™m really not a calm person at all. Kept thinking of Suzanneā€™s Halloween masked figures!
Mush dash for The Hand Maids Tale. Just waiting for her to get back there so the drama can get going again. Bit tame last week.
Lots of love xxx

4 Likes

Hi Christine
Lovely to hear you have been to church. I am certainly not a religious person but whenever I have attended a service it has really helped me.
Tuesday I shall be attending an All Soulsā€™ Day Requiem Eucharist at St Paulā€™s Cathedral. Mum and Dadā€™s names will be placed at the altar . If they havent been listed on Insta/Twitter you can do it in person. So 5pm I will be there and making a full afternoon of it as I will be in the City of London anyway.
Thank you for thinking of me and glad I inspired you in any way to attend the service.
Neil x

2 Likes

Hi Neil,
I canā€™t quite believe I went and then to stay to the end was amazing and without a full blown panic attack. I think though it was because there was hardly anyone there so I had lots of space around me. I amaze myself sometimes.
They have a service on Tues evening so I will add mams name and go if I can. Thank you so much for letting me know about it. I wouldnā€™t have known otherwise. It will be a very special and moving service. Your mam and dad will be so proud of you and all you have accomplished this year. Itā€™s good timing too, given that itā€™s around the same time for us all. Iā€™m sure thereā€™ll be plenty of tears all round but a great sense of achievement too.
Watched The Hand Maids Tale. The tension is rising. Just want her to get back there and cause mayhem.
Canā€™t quite believe Iā€™m still awake after getting up at 5.30. Just canā€™t sleep at the mo, not for more than a couple of hours. Running on fumes. I went for a cheeky swim and did my usual half hour but it was hard after not going for two weeks. Will go again Tues so I get a routine going again.
Catch up tomorrow.
Lots of love xxx

3 Likes