Does daily life get any easier!?

I lost my partner a year ago this month and things still seem as raw now as what they were then, is it ever going to get any easier!!?

I think you will get a whole range of answers to that question. For me I think the answer is yes. I knew my wife was dying for 4 years so when she died in August I had served a period of notice. I think it probably does get easier for everyone but we all have different secondary problems and that will makes things very different from person to person. Itā€™s very difficult to make comparisons over a year but I suppose it depends how much pain you felt a year ago. Like I said I think you will get very different answers.

Dear Laura18, itā€™s a good question and as Yorkshirelad says, everyone is different.
My friend lost her true love 4 years ago and is finding life very hard still. She thinks itā€™s because she is older(early70s), but I am only 51 and my journey began very recently and I canā€™t imagine ever being the same person I was before. My life and all those who lose their partners lives will be forever changed. Really the life you had before has ended more than changed and people have said to me you have to think on it as a different, new life. I know three other people who lost their true loves and have all found a new life so I have hope. I have no answers for you really as itā€™s a question I also ask but I feel different every day and some of the more destructive feelings have lessened. Would it help you to think about some of the positive things you have achieved this last year ? Even tiny steps? Iā€™ve had to do things in the last year I no idea about and never dreamed I would have been capable of and continue to try to do new things ( boring stuff like sorting bills, cars stuff, etc) that my husband used to do as well as speaking at his funeral and sorting everything out.
You are stronger than you think and we are here to listen. If you read the posts you may find comfort as I do. I wish you peace. X

2 Likes

Thank you, I have two beautiful little girls that keep me going but sometimes it does feel like 2 steps forward and 10 back! Forever searching for an answer as to why. Life feels very unfair. Take care xx

1 Like

Itā€™s hard to accept that some questions just donā€™t have answers. During my wifeā€™s illness she never asked ā€œwhy me?ā€ and I admit to pondering that many times. Itā€™s difficult to accept that we have lost so much and others havenā€™t, but I would never wish loss on anyone else. However we know that everyone will be similarly touched one day.
From my experience, which isnā€™t very long, I think that itā€™s very difficult to avoid taking the steps back and we just have to learn to accommodate the fact it will. My wifeā€™s cousin has grieved for her husband for over 30 years and she still cries over him. He died of the same type of brain tumour as my wife and it brought it all back in a big way. I think the death of my wife affected her children as well and they were all young children when their father died.
Maybe grief just becomes part of us and shapes our future. Iā€™ve lost my mother, Wife and favourite aunt in a short timeā€¦three women that I relied on to be there for me and I know life can never be as good again but Iā€™m going to live it the best I can. I hope you can get lots of comfort from your children, I do from mine.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve just remember a great quote attributed to Abraham Lincoln
" The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time".

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly how I feelā€¦2 steps forward then 10 backā€¦Itā€™s not niceā€¦

1 Like

Hello Laura 18ā€¦I accassionally do beginners yoga on YouTube for just 20 minsā€¦And then when watching tv do some deep breathing exercisesā€¦Just thought it might helpā€¦ Best wishesā€¦

1 Like

Hi. I am struggling after 4 months to find a way forward. X

Thank you xx

I would like to say it gets easier and give you some hope but I still havenā€™t found that to be true, just concentrate on the things you have that are important and put any energy into that, I have a 6 month old baby who will never get to meet her daddy some days she does things that make my heart melt but itā€™s taken over by the sadness that one day she will learn that she will never have her dad. Best wishes to you stay strong xx

1 Like

Hi Laura. So sorry about your baby. Itā€™s hard to get past the sadness at the moment I find. X

Hello Lilypetal
Itā€™s 11 months since my husband passed,and i still have that sadness,the tears donā€™t flow as much as they did,however i always feel they could easily resurface depending on where i am or what i am doing.I donā€™t feel that it has eased much,some days i can be stronger and smile,so as others have mentioned,itā€™s forward little steps,and back little steps.I think in my opinion Lilypetal,itā€™s finding some comfort in each day,whether thatā€™s a walk or cuppa or reading a book that gives you some slight relief if only for a short while.Iā€™m not good with distraction as i still have my hubby on my mind,when iā€™m trying to be distracted so ivā€™e given up doing things for the sake of it,just to keep busy as it doesnā€™t work for me.Some times i just want to sit and think things out,other times i feel like sorting the pots and plants in the yard out ,so i do things when i feel i can,i donā€™t really push myself into it,everybodyā€™s different and different things work for some.Itā€™s a slow journey and i think as it goes on hopefully the days will be filled with more smiles and interest,without having to distract ourselves,it will happen naturally.Take care xx

I think we just accept we will always carry that sadness and it will shape who we are.
I can think of several people I know that have been shaped by sadness and they have each found a way to live forward. We are the product of our experiences and it is difficult to diminish that. As I read somewhere recentlyā€¦ We are all in the process of becoming. We donā€™t stand still.

Hi. Thanks robin. I still have more bad days than good. Canā€™t seem to move forward. 5 months and nothing can comfort me. Thinking of the good times upsets me, photos upset me, canā€™t find any comfort anywhere. I have been for a couple of walks on my own and my family have been very good. Just canā€™t believe I am worse now than before. I will be Glad when the warmer weather comes and can get in the garden. Thanks. Hope you are ok. Xx

My darling left me 19th February last year. Itā€™s so difficult.

Hi Lilypetal
Iā€™m pleased you have good family support.I understand it is very hard to find things to give comfort,when all we really can think about is the one we love.I wouldnā€™t be too concerned about feeling worse now than before,i did the same,got to around 5/6 months since my husband passed and found a deep overwhelming weight of sadness back again.Iā€™m at 11 months now and cannot say itā€™s easier ,just managing to keep my mood a little higher these past few weeks.I think iā€™m trying to keep my thoughts in a better place as often as i can,but i have days where little helps and concentration lacks,these are my days when i stare ,think,stare out of the window some more,and realise later in the day that ivā€™e done very little.I live one day at a time,thatā€™s how it works for me,I do smile more now,but i understand the tears could flow whenever,as grief just doesnā€™t like to let you out of itā€™s sight for too long.
Yes the sunshine and lighter evenings ,seems to help,i like to sit and have a cuppa out on the chair,and watch the birds,while playing my classic fm.
Yes these winter evenings are long, like yourself I will be glad to see them pass.Take care xx

I mirror your comments, Lilypetal.
5 months (and 5 days), finding memories of the many good times very painful as I know Iā€™ll never experience anything like that again.
Family doing what they can, but have their own lives to be getting on with.
Feeling worse by the day.
I was looking forward to the longer days. Today was clear and sunny, and I went for our afternoon/evening walk a bit earlier. It was like an early spring day, we were in an isolated part of the Plain, and I got back to the dogmobile about ten minutes after sunset. It didnā€™t really help - just as those memories of good times had an opposite effect, so this pseudo-Spring day just made me miss the happy, sunny days of yore.

Hi Laura18
I lost my husband Keith 10 months ago and some days are easier than others.
Today being Valentineā€™s Day is a less easier day, as we always gave each other a card and a token sort of present, so this is another first of things to deal with through the first year.
As others have put ā€˜being in a fog and then a mistā€™ and writing in a journal etc I can associate with totally. I talk to Keithā€™s photo all the time as if he were still here, to me he still is. I tell him bye when going to work and hello when Iā€™m home.
At the moment I feel a bit numb and in limbo. Probably not the best way of describing it. I donā€™t know if itā€™s just another phase you have to get through or if itā€™s because Iā€™m off work for a week using up my annual leave, on my own but I know Iā€™ll get through it again, as with everything we all now have to deal with.
There are things I am happy about having accomplished since Keith has been gone - finishing our back garden revamp, getting someone in to do it that is. The gardens still need to be tidied and work to be done through the year which Iā€™ve done on my own now.
As Iā€™ve said before, I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and get through each day the best way I can. The worst thing ever has happened to us all, it can only get easier in time is what I tell myself.
Sending you much love
Dolly Dimple xx

Itā€™s such a hard question to answer. I lost my mum 4 years ago today and Iā€™m still riddled with heart break and grief. For me personally itā€™s worse now. I have 2 young daughter and also my younger brother and my dad that Iā€™ve rallied around forā€¦ and bang recently itā€™s hut me like a ton of bricks that sheā€™s not actually here anymore. I canā€™t sleep and just feel dreadful. Itā€™s so hard because everyone thinks after 4 years Iā€™m fine. Iā€™m really not. Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve tecently joined this group. I just donā€™t see how Iā€™m ever going to cope without her xxx