Everything is solo

Good luck Gordon, you’ll not regret it and you can always make sure the rescue offer life time back up and can you help should you ever need it. Keeping my :crossed_fingers:for you. I had all of the concerns you have but nothing you cannot overcome as we did

Vicky,

Add this plus to your lifeskills,that your courage to rescue and give another being a life has given me the courage to overcome my fears. Thank you and I will keep you updated.
Stay safe. Gordon

1 Like

Hi Vicky

Just completed my application for re homing a retired greyhound and await contact interview. Been busy in the garden making sure the fences met the required height and the gate latch now has an additional slip bolt. Didn’t mean to sound patronising with my last post to you but I needed a prod to make me do something about getting a dog that I have been putting off for months, So now it’s done and I have to wait on them contacting me. I will let you know how I get on asap.
Stay safe. Gordon

5 Likes

That’s fabulous news! Can’t wait for an update. I remember the excitement waiting for my fur baby to arrive. Longest wait EVER! :kissing_heart:

We lost our rescue dog in January 2020 after 10 years and struggled to get another in lockdown. Welcomed another dog in June 2020 - he has issues was mainly a mans, my husbands, dog. Alan died in September 2021 suddenly. Can see that the dog is traumatised - getting there but taking time. Grateful to have the dog - when everybody goes home you still have company and a presence in the house.

I adopted my rescue dog in March this year and I lost my husband on 5 September. I swear if I didn’t have him, I really have no idea what I would do… They are wonderful companions.

1 Like

@nodrog
Wish you much comfort & love when you finally get your 4 legged friend.
I’ve been looking on line past few days for a GSD pup. I’m 70% there but holding back until I reach 100% sure.
I’d been telling my dear husband for years that if anything ever happened to him, no other man could ever replace him but I would get a GSD, having had many many of them during childhood & teenage years.
My husband was mortified he could be replaced by a dog, he didn’t get that it was a compliment, that no other man could take his place.
He adored & spoiled me & if we had got to retire together he would have agreed to a dog. I just know he would have.
10 months and still counting.

2 Likes

Hi Maigret,
Online paperwork just completed today so the waiting begins. We always had dogs, Golden Retriever, Large Munsterlander and latterly a Border Collie. However after a lot of soul searching we decided not to get another dog as we were getting on in years and Elaine’s health was not so good.
This seem quite weird to put into print but now that I have been alone for almost 11 months I long for a warm body to cuddle. Nothing or no one will replace Elaine but the solitude and the quietness is at times unbearable. If it wasn’t for Alexa I would be at a loss sometimes for something to say to my world of emptiness. Just for fun I start an argument with Alexa but she always wins by saying" I don’t know that, check your Android instructions".
I am counting the days till I know if it is yes or no and hoping that my life will change for the better with a yes answer. I walk for exercise almost every day but always on my own, although I know Elaine walks beside me in her Angel form. I am usually a patient person but suddenly I feel butterflies in my tummy and know that at 74 I should not have these feelings and be sensible and sedate awaiting the decision.
That’s enough of my inane drivel, thanks for your support and stay safe. Gordon

Dear Gordon
I am sure you will be recognised by them as a good potential owner, let’s hope they make a decision quickly. I had to look up munsterlander as I’ve never heard of that breed.
My family cancelled Sunday dinner as they had something else on, so the only person I actually spoke with today was an amazon guy. I am quite contrary I have found, I can’t be bothered talking anyway, even to close friends or family. Then I feel abandoned when no one gets in touch. Like you, the only one I want is my love.
I do hope that this ‘different’ chapter in your life begins soon & wish you all the very best.
I hope also that I get to the 100% sure soon as its really the only plan that has emerged in the past 10 months (apart from making a huge to do list with minimum uptake …
All best, maigret

Hi everyone we adopted a rescue dog
While my husband was poorly as I was still working and thought it would be company for him … so now he has passed he has become mine alone tk be truthful he has given me a reason to get up every day . J dont know what I would do without him … only problem my husband was a west ham supporter and called out little sausage dog Brooking after trevor :woman_facepalming::rofl:

3 Likes

Gordon,

I am excited for you. Fingers crossed it all goes to plan. I had to wait until I semi retired before my husband would let me get a dog. And when we finally did, Martin was obsessed with her. She became this screen saver on his laptop :rofl::rofl:

Despite his devotion she was, as they say, my dog. Followed me everywhere. Martin did most of the walking, he met up with a walking group and loved the early morning fresh air and banter.
So now I do both walks, and thank god for Molly. She gives me a reason to get up of a morning and to go out the house.

Every evening we curl up on the settee together, cover ourselves with a throw and snuggle down :two_hearts:

Dee xx

1 Like

And another solo job has arisen I just can’t believe the things that have needed sorting since my Rob passed away just over a year ago the list seems endless.
It’s been jobs from having the roof on my house pointed , leaking water pipes twice , leaking shower, cooker broke down, toilet stopped flushing , I hope I’m due a break for a bit now .

1 Like

Well done to you why is it that things have all gone wrong and we are left to deal with themit almost seems they are testing us saying i new you could do it and cope without them well maybe but I’ve don’t want to cope without them xx I’m feeling very proud of myself this evening I have booked a pantomime to take the 3 grandchildren to , my husband and myself have done this every Christmas since they were 3 years old , oldest is 16 now didn’t think I would be able to take them this year we always go around 2nd January it will be a year on 16th January my husband passed they was so upset yesterday when they asked me if we would be going i thought about it all day I know Paul would not be happy with me if I didn’t take them so I summoned courage and have booked Robin Hood on 2nd January am feeling very pleased with myself I will probably be a wreck on the day life must go on x

5 Likes

Ocean village I just can’t believe what has gone wrong and it’s still happening this morning my shower has gone on the blink . I totally agree with you when you said it’s like they are testing us I have thought that a lot this past year but there just has to come a point when we get a break ,it’s as if we haven’t got enough to deal with . I hope you enjoy your pantomime take care Karen xx

1 Like

@Kazzer
I’ve been there so any times since losing my husband. As I lie in bed I can see the latest mess - watermark on bedroom ceiling. I went into loft earlier but there’s so much of my husbands stuff, insulation & partial flooring that I can’t see any signs of water & roof looks dry.
The cornice in the ensuite fell off (middle of night, big noise, wasn’t scared, the worst scary thing has already happened to me), the outside front door light bulb was out for over 6 months, I managed to fix that today. Leak in my car, mice in utility room, hole in bath.
It’s never ending & despite promises of help none materialised.
I never realised just how much my big guy done for us.

2 Likes

Me also guttering was overflowing had to be replaced lounge lights blew day after Paul passed which was January still not sorted that yet toilet wouldn’t stop filling up gave it a spray of wd40 :rofl: works great now shower tray was blocked flooded bathroom this names but a few don’t want to bore you just seems endless and I seem to have developed this panic button inside me that I never ever knew I had iv never been a worrier probably because I would just rely on Paul to sort things out I didn’t have to worry now I have to be a big girl and deal with it myself xx god I miss him so much xx

2 Likes

Dear @Oceanvillage608
Yes, the list just keeps growing & intensity builds as each challenge presents itself.
On a lighter note, I’ve discovered it wasn’t just my husband who dropped the crumbs on kitchen floor. I used to say, we could give tesco a miss this week- there’s enough food in these corners to make a dinner.
Well turns out I’m equally guilty, cos there’s no one left to blame.

2 Likes

That’s so funny, only the other day I said to a friend, I was always moaning to Martin to tidy up after himself. Turns out I might have been the messy one :woman_facepalming:t3: Xx

3 Likes

Sorry, it’s been so long since I last posted I don’t know who to reply to so I will just stick this up and hope I don’t offend anyone.
Big day finally came yesterday when I went to collect my adopted rescue greyhound. Had a fitful night’s sleep and rose early to shower, breakfast and get on the road. My car wasn’t large enough for all the accessories coming with the dog so I had to take public transport cross country to my son and he was my driver for the journey to collect my dog. After what seemed like an eternity we arrived at the foster home and met my dog. What a lovely boy I met, Dennis, a 6 year old black ex racing rescue greyhound. Lovely temperament and gorgeous eyes. After all the formalities and my son loading his car with lots of accessories I would normally have had to buy, we were off. Spent the next two hours cuddling Dennis all the way home. Finally home and took Dennis for a short walk while my son unloaded his car and transferred all of Dennis’s accessories to my home. Took Dennis a few hours to settle but was soon lying upside down on the sofa as though he had been born into the house. Out late for his last walk and met my neighbour who had recommended me to the adoption site. Both our dogs had a good waggy tail meeting and then back home. After a fitful night’s sleep where I went to check on Dennis a couple of times only to find him sleeping I was relaxed and went back to bed. Up early this morning and had to waken Dennis to get out for our first walk of the day. Lovely morning. sun just breaking through and birds singing. God it’s good to be alive again. Back home and as I write this page, Dennis is back on the sofa having a nap. Think I am going to like this new lifestyle with my new best pal. Gordon

12 Likes

I’m so pleased for you & Dennis :grinning: you’ve come together out of tragedy & will bring comfort to Each other going forward :+1:

1 Like