Face to face bereavement group

Hi
These cafes are called the Good Grief Cafe or Pop Up cafe and they do exist in Cornwall. They are on facebook but I don’t use facebook so can’t find out anything further.
If there is nothing in your area’s how about starting your own groups. The people that run these cafes might offer some advice.
I went a couple of times and it was held in a local cafe. We arrived when we wanted to and left in the same way so no pressure.
Good luck

The nearest Good Grief cafe to me is 40 miles in the west of Cornwall, I don’t drive! Thanks for replying though I’m very grateful x

Hi Sandik,
I am only 20 minutes from Glastonbury. I am 83 years old and I lost my wife of 59years in February of this year followed by our eldest daugher of 57years in May. Everyone tells me how ell I am doing - but I am NOT!
I you are intersted in setting up a group - with just us two to start with - let me know. I need to talk to someone who doesn’t know me. Best wishes - Adrian

1 Like

Hi
So sorry you find yourself in this position when you want some support.
Have you thought of starting your own grief meetings, perhaps in a nearby town/village as there must be other people in the same position. This is how the grief cafe near me opened up. I don’t want this sort of meeting now but it was helpful at the time.
Good luck
xx

I live in Essex and I know of 2 bereavement groups - they are both organised by a local Funeral Directors and meet weekly for a couple of hours. The group is informal, people talk about whatever they want, and cry - the only “organisation” is the facilitator from the Funeral Directors - same lady all the time.

I lost June 2 years ago and find it helpful to go there. Everyone is in the same position so no need to pretend - it’s a place where you can be honest about how you’re feeling.

Maybe contact your local Funeral Director or Church - they may know of one. Hope this helps

D

1 Like

I have joined my local U3A (university of the third age). They have many and various groups, including Art, singing for fun, history, walking and many more interests. They arrange many meetings and trips for members and many members are people on their own. I have found attending different groups gives me a break from my loneliness and I have met several new friends all widows like myself. It does help to ease the pain although nothing makes up for the great loss.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m recently bereaved and also looking a similar support network. I am based near Launceston Cornwall and can drive, what part of Cornwall are you in?. My very best wishes, Dave

Hi Dave

I live just outside Tavistock, so not far from you. I’ve very recently joined a WAYUP group that meets for coffee and lunch weekly and fairly locally. You need to join WAYUP
( free) and then look on the calendar for Devon and Cornwall meetings. This Wednesday they are meeting in Tavistock and the following Wednesday, Lanhydrock. They also have a zoom meeting every Thursday evening.

It’s still such very early days for you and I’m so sorry you’ve had to join us in a future none of us wanted.

Look after yourself,
X Julie

1 Like

Hi Julie,
Is that the group that has a £25 joining fee or the one where all members can see your full name? I already feel incredibly vulnerable living alone so wouldn’t want my name widely circulated.
Many thanks for your suggestion though, enjoy Lanhydrock it’s beautiful there.

Hello KG57

I have never paid a joining fee and the only data members can see is your user name so in effect, you can be anonymous to members. I’m sorry you feel vulnerable and I’m more than happy to help in any way I can.
We are meeting today so I will check with the coordinator that what I’ve told you is correct.
Please feel free to private message me if that would help.

X Julie

1 Like

Hi KG57

I’ve just had a lovely day in Tavistock with our small group and what I told you previously is correct. You may be confusing it with WAY which is a charity and charges.
WAY is for the under fifties and WAYUP the oldies, 50+, and there is no charge. Also, your anonymity is assured if that’s what you want.

I hope this helps.
X Julie

1 Like

Hello . I went for the 1st time yesterday to a local group here in Anglesey . We met for lunch at a local resturant and it went well and I met some nice people . They meet monthly for lunch but are looking to booking coach trips and days out with a local coach firm x

1 Like

Pleased to hear it went well. I’m going to a bereavement support group this afternoon for the first time. Not sure what to expect but I’m giving it a go which is something I couldn’t do a while ago.
I will be anxious though xx

2 Likes

Barbara61
I’m. Pleased to hear that you are going to a bereavement group meeting. I went to one about seven months after my husband died. It was run by my funeral directors in conjunction with Cruse and it was very beneficial and a bonus I met a lady who has become a very good friend. I hope it helps you.

You’ll be ok there’s no pressure on you just share what you feel able to and it’s good to know they have all been there and accept your silence for what it is. I was anxious before I went to but once I was through the resturant door I was ok Go for it Barbara xxx

2 Likes

Went well at group. There were only four other people there they were lovely and very welcoming.
I was anxious going in but was ok once I got in and settled. They are having trouble getting people there but I told them on this forum people are wanting groups like this. Maybe people are hesitant about going . Xx

2 Likes

Well done I think it’s a big step to take and perhaps the groups aren’t advertised enough. I found my local one on line but not everybody is comfortable about using a computer

2 Likes

Hello. I live in Baildon, West Yorks and would be interested in a group meeting

Hello. I live in West Yorkshire and would be interested in attending g a group

Hi
Anyone in Durham looking for a bereavement support group I have been to one today run by age Uk at Belmont. There were only 4 others there and they said they are having trouble getting people there. I told them that speaking to people on this forum it does seem to be something people are looking for. They’re not sure if people aren’t aware of it or maybe a bit hesitant to go. If anyone has trouble with transport getting there she said to give a ring and they might be able to help. Everyone was very welcoming and it was good to talk to them.

1 Like