Has anyone out there found a new hobby that’s a good means of distraction?

I’ve taken up knitting sewing again not done in years. I do online word games wordle and waffle and post to couple family/ friends - it’s sign I’m up and about. If I don’t do it because I’m running late they message me. That’s reassuring. I’ve just bought a rug kit ready for winter Hobbycraft sale. I love live music but it’s finding someone to go with. Gone to cinema and live show in my own but it’s not as enjoyable.

2 Likes

A friend suggested doing Jigsaw puzzles. I took no notice of their advice to start with as I have not done one since childhood over 60 years ago. However, out of desperation I tried one and now it is my only activity that really does absorb me so that I can forget everything else. I keep it on a table that I no longer use and that I pass by all the time so I can just get to it without any effort.

3 Likes

Oh that’s an idea. I bought one a few weeks ago that I’d put away and forgotten about. I might rake it out and get started on it tomorrow ( while the rest of the world is watching football) lol

1 Like

I hope it helps you. It is something you can do by yourself, particularly when feeling low and do not want to meet people or go out.

There are free jigsaws online

1 Like

Those are gorgeous!

I’ve just started Welsh.

4 Likes

Good luck, you’ve picked a hard one there.
Mind you Hungarian isn’t that easy.
But it keeps my brain going.

X x

1 Like

I joined a Ramblers Club this morning and went for a lovely walk followed by a pub lunch.
The group were so friendly and welcoming.
I’d recommend joining your local group. Gives you something to do, you meet new people and get out in the fresh air and get some exercise too :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@Hope2 I was thinking of doing this. Just haven’t got around to it yet…I’m a bit nervous, I guess.
I have joined a photography club so that’s one step…:blush:

Well done you.
I was really nervous about going to the ramblers club this morning, but I’m so glad I did it. Everybody spoke to me and they were all so welcoming. I felt so comfortable with them all.
They said they also do midweek evening walks and even weekends away and if you become a member you can join in any group anywhere in the country. I definitely think it’s something I’ll carry on with. I can really recommend it.

4 Likes

@Hope2 Thank you for the reassurance… as I’ve just paid the photography subs, I’ll have to wait until August but i think you can go a couple of times first to check it out.
Really chuffed that you enjoyed the day :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you. Enjoy your photography club :+1:

1 Like

Did Paint by Numbers during the Pandemic and have got a couple of new ones which are rather absorbing
Otherwise I’m revisiting the embroidery kits I had no time for while my husband was ill

1 Like

Hey. I have discovered wildlife photography is not only a distraction from everything but also is a great way to spend those lonely hours and days. Looking at the pictures when I get home and deciding which to keep and, perhaps even, posting some on Facebook is also very cathartic.
About 3 weeks ago a friend of mine suggested we try wild swimming in the local loch (I live on the West Coast of Scotland). I was quite nervous about the cold water and how it was going to be. Honestly, I have now been going twice a week since our first time and it has to be the best mindful exercise I’ve ever tried. And I’ve tried a lot.
I guess it depends on where you live and what open water spaces you have around you - but if you CAN do it then just DO IT!! I feel like I can tackle anything that gets thrown at me after a swim and with the exercise the stamina that I’m building up is also helping me deal with the grief and utter sense of loss of my beautiful boy. I hope this is of some help to you xx

6 Likes

I have a dog so he gets me out of the house. I also play bowls outdoor in summer and indoor in winter. Cross stitch is my main hobby though, this .

is my current work in progress.

5 Likes

Mine is not so much a hobby as an activity. I have started volunteering with our local AgeUK. Initially I was thinking of doing a day or half day a week, that was last November. Now I’m doing all days Tuesday and Friday and Thursday mornings in the Day Care centre and alternate Wednesday afternoons in the Singing for the Brain. I know how much they appreciate my time and help but as I keep saying to them I am getting as much benefit as I am giving, possibly more as it has given me a reason to get out of bed in the morning, I have met and made new friends and it has become an important part of my life.

6 Likes

I’m right into diamond painting at the moment.
I find it very relaxing

4 Likes

Misprinted things you have made are amazing and i do knitting and crochet and it does help take my mind off thinking about everything x

3 Likes

I too went to art school (fine art)
I find that i cannot yet focus on a big project ,like an oil painting ,since losing my husband in May .
However ,i recently did a printmaking course.I loved learning new techniques.The results are fairly quick and often unexpected.
I find that really suits me right now.
I firmly believe that if we are lucky enough to have busy hands then this will help carry us through.
Thank you for sharing,this is my first post,i felt inspired to respond

7 Likes