Heartbreak

My husband suddenly passed away just before Christmas. He had no health problems at all he was fit and healthy and full of life. It was found that he had a heart disease. As I left for work that morning I kissed him as usually and told him that I loved him and would see him tonight. I came home from work and found him peaceful on the sofa with the dog curled up with him. At that moment I felt lost. I met him when I was 16 and spent 30 wonderful years together. Having 2 wonderful children 2 beautiful grand children that he adored and one on the way that he will never meet. Due to having to have a postmortem and being christmas we had the funeral on the 12th Jan. My family and friends are so supportive but don’t want to keep putting all my pain on them. He was my absolute world. We did everything togethet work , chores, diy everything. Now finding it so difficult. I don’t think I have grieved yet hich i feel guilty about. I have some tears but it’s so painful. I was heartbroken getting in the bath as I felt that I was washing him off me. I can’t bear to change the bed sheets as his smell is still there and don’t want to lose that. Shopping and cooking is so hard. He was a wonderful chef but now have to shop and cook for 1. I have his pictures all over the house and have just got his ashes back which now sit in the living room so that I can talk to him. But how do you cope with the day to day things like changing the bed sheet

3 Likes

It’s so hard to live without our soulmate . I got one of those bags that you suck all the air out I put Jim’s shirts in it so I can keep his smell and they don’t take up much room maybe you could do this to your sheets.

1 Like

I have all his clothes still in the draws and wear a shirt that he always wore so that I still have his smell. I don’t know if it’s the smell of the bed sheets or its a comfort to me that he slept on them that I’m struggling with. It’s just so hard. Im trying to stay strong for my children but when im on my own is when it hurts more. I kiss his photo every morning and night and tell him I love him but I miss him so much. Not having cuddless kisses or just touching him ever again

4 Likes

I know Bell I’m the same I’m got photos of jim and candles that i light also got a nice glass light that I have on. I also go up cemetery everyday day and kiss his Cross I will never get over losing Jim I just wish I could be with him.

5 Likes

I too lost my husband of 51 years he went to bed after a busy day and died -that was last April - I have a picture on either side of our bed and I kiss him every morning and say morning love and at night I kiss him goodnight and tell him I love him everything is still in our bedroom and bathroom his towelling robe is still on one side of the towel rail and his ashes are next to me In his bedside cabinet. . I have a hot water bottle with his t shirt wrapped around it every night just so I can cuddle up to his warmth. I can’t see anything changing in the future and I still feel he is with me in spirit - it is a painfully sad time for all of us and all we can do is do our best to carry on - our bedroom is my sanctuary and I feel somehow relieved at night to get in our bed and sleep for a few hours. My thoughts are with you all x

3 Likes

My husband died on the 5th September 2021 and the clothes he placed on a chair in the bedroom before climbing into bed are still where he left them​:cry: I cannot bring myself to do anything with them and I smell his T-shirt every night :broken_heart:

4 Likes

My husband died on the 22nd September 2021. We’d had quite a normal day. Took the dog out for a few walks, went shopping for dog food etc. Had tea. He left home at 5.30 to go to work. Played football at 8 and died of a sudden heart attack shortly after. He was apparently very fit and healthy. Came completely out of the blue. We were together 40 years, married for 37. Miss him beyond words!!:cry:x

4 Likes

Hi, What a terrible shock for you to lose your husband so suddenly like that. My husband died last June, it was also sudden and a terrible shock, although he was taken to hospital after a seizure and died three weeks later. I couldn’t bear to see him die and left the hospital half an hour before and he still looked so well, like he was just in a deep sleep, his colour was good and his cheeks were pink. I didn’t see him after as I wanted to remember him alive and looking well, but now I find it hard to accept he is gone, I think maybe that is why I didn’t see him so I didn’t have to believe he was gone. I didn’t change the sheets for 5 months,so I understand what you are saying, but in the end of course I had to and I sobbed my heart out the whole time feeling I was washing him away, only people on here will understand that, others would think it was gross, but losing the love of your life makes you do crazy things. We were together for 33 years and now my life is over and every day is an unbearable agony. I just sit most of the time staring at his photo and his ashes which I also have in the living room. We are all going through the worst kind of hell and I don’t know how we get through each day, sending love and hugs to all of you x

2 Likes

Thank you all your comments make me relise im not crazy it’s just what we do to cope and keep our lost ones close. My 2 children and family have been so suppport but I can’t talk to them about this kind of thing my children are going through their pain and loss themselves. I have 2 grandchildren 2 years and 6 months. The 2 year old was like my gregs shadow followed her papi around everywhere. She knows something has happened as she hasn’t seen him for a while. It breaks my heart and I cry when she comes in and kisses the picture of her and him together and says my papi.

1 Like

My Valerie was in a Hospital bed downstairs for her last few months.
No bedclothes with her scent on.

I have lots of photos of her around the house and car.
I kept some clothes of hers that I wear, Jumpers, Headgear, Outside Jacket, Pyjamas and Socks.
I have bottles of her favourite perfumes that I spray around the house.
I have a couple of videos and voice recordings, wish I had more of those.

Most of all I have her in my Heart and always will.

Take care.

You’re not crazy.

2 Likes

Misprint, that’s such a lovely Light.

1 Like

Dear Bell1

Our grandson’s are aged 2 and 9 months. Husband never got to meet the second grandson but I know that he would have loved him as he did the eldest grandson who was only 9 months when my husband died tragically whilst out on his motorbike. We all do what we have to do to survive a journey we did not ask for nor deserve.

Take care.

1 Like

I lost my husband in June 2020 after a Cancer diagnosis.This was in February and by June he was gone.I can’t get my head around the fact that he is gone and I am really struggling.When I am with people I can forget for awhile,but it is those times when I am on my own that are the worst.I feel that not only have I lost my husband but my life.All the things we planned to do and the places we wanted to see together will never happen now.

3 Likes

I lost my husband in Nov 21 after being diagnosed with operable cancer in August, having been diagnosed as having long Covid before they eventually did further tests and it was discovered he actually had cancer. He was only 58 and extremely fit, never smoked, not overweight, good diet, worked and very active. All those things the NHS say you should be to promote a healthy life style. Yet he was failed by them, it took over 5 months of going back and forth to the doctors before he was referred for further tests. I’m very angry as he should still be here. My life has ended, all those plans we had going forward will not happen. I miss my Gary so much, it’s unbearable.

1 Like

such a strange day today I don’t know where my head and emotions are. Our 3rd grandbaby was born today. My greg knew she was due but sadley won’t meet her but I know he will be looking over us and be so proud. When my son gave me the news I cried with both joy and sadness .

2 Likes

Congratulations I’m sure Greg is smiling and so proud

Firstly congratulations on your new grand daughter, a new life is always very precious. I know where you’re coming from with the emotions although I have no grandchildren, as yet. I lost my husband in September last year to a sudden heart attack. My younger son (I have two sons and a daughter) broke down during his eulogy as it hit him that his dad wouldn’t be around for our special events. His sister is getting married in May and my sons’ both in their 30’s are hoping to start families in the near future.

My husbands death was a big shock as he was not overweight, kept himself fit and was very active. No indications anything was amiss. It’s hard to go on without him but he would want us to go forward as best we can, it’s the only thing we can do in his memory and he’ll never be forgotten.

Dear Bell1

Congratulations. I understand the bittersweet feelings. Our son and his partner told us on the Saturday back in September 2020 that she was pregnant with their second child only for my husband to die two days later. The second grandson was born the following April and when our son brought him into the house I wept - tears of joy but also loss. More memories popped up on Facebook today of the eldest grandson when in hospital and there is my husband in the background - heartbreaking.

Hi I feel your pain on 4th August last year my wife Pearl was told all well treatment working.Three days later parlised.
Systeam let us down my lawyer on to it.I know I may not get answers but I will try .

1 Like

So sorry for your loss x it’s heartbreaking what we are goin through. Cancer is a terrible thing why can’t they find a cure or prevent it . They manage to get vaccines in place for coved (not always worked) but surely in this day and age they should be able to do more for everyone with health issues x

2 Likes