Here it is - the humour thread!

Love the piggy emoji Mrs Colt :grin:

Great thread :smiley: just what we need sometimes.

When I first came to the forum over a year ago now, I thought I would never laugh again and then I picked up on some members that were having a joke with each other and I found myself laughing. The forum is not just for sadness but to teach us how to laugh again with the help of each other.
Pat xxx

7 Likes

Absolutely Pat. Well said. No one expects merriment, especially for new arrivals, but those of us who are trying to press on it helps so much to keep a sense of humour. My wife laughed even when she was very ill in a care home. Some of the things the staff did made her laugh and it was good to hear. There will always be some for whom laughter is impossible. That’s why we need be aware of the needs of others. Everyone has to be treated differently because none of us wants to upset anyone. Tact and understanding is necessary.
Take care Pat. XX

5 Likes

Hi John, smiling makes me feel better in myself. I am trying to do what Heather-Diane is doing and make a point pf smiling to someone every day. I doubt they can see what is going on inside me but why make other people feel miserable. I try a smile at people I don’t know and I suspect some think I am a woman gone mad A smile doesn’t cost anything , although I must admit some people are hard work and sometimes I feel like telling them that this smile is costing me a lot and it wouldn’t hurt to return one.
Your so right John it does take tact and understanding.
Love Pat xxx

3 Likes

Yes Pat. It seems some people were upset by our very small bits of attempts at humour. I do confess that I should have looked at the original post. Any upset caused is regretted. But, and there is always a but, because I like bananas and you don’t do you criticize me, judge me and condemn ??
Everyone on this site has different views and opinions and all need to be respected. I am beginning to wonder if it’s worth the hassle. Perhaps it’s time to move on. I suppose we all reach a point where we need to get away from negativity. The site helped me so much when my wife died and I will always be grateful for that. Blessings. John.

1 Like

Err, excuse me - I thought this was the ‘humour thread’…:thinking:
No serious stuff here, only smiles and laughter please :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.
As for your like of bananas John, well I love them too so no condemnation from me there :banana: :joy:. Mind you if you had said Marmite - yuk! I would definitely be judging you then :rofl:.
Nobody needs to be moving on… Everyone has something to offer, all full of love and support. We travel this journey together :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Thank you Kate-For starting this thread. My beloved younger sister and I were all about laughter. We used to laugh till we cried. We shared so many “inside jokes” that only we would understand. A look, an expression, would spark a laughing fit (no matter where we were). Since she died my tears of joy have turned to tears of anguish. There is no one else in my life I can laugh with, the way I did with her. I so miss her sunshine smile, and the sound of her infectious laughter. So often I still say “oh I must tell her about this, and she will be hysterically laughing,” but she is no longer there. Not to be a downer-my point being that reading all of your posts lifts me, and I’ve actually found myself having a laugh . Maybe not the hearty, belly laugh that I had before, but still a laugh, Thank you all. Keep the posts coming. “Laughter is the best medicine.” You are wonderful people!! :smile: Xxxx Sister2

4 Likes

Please do not leave Jonathan-Your posts have many times been an inspiration to me (and many others).
We all cope in our own ways. Kate started this thread because there seemed to be need. And it is so considerate that no one here will be offended by the humour. We are all ultra sensitive in our grief, and can be easily upset. My sister would have loved this thread, and would’ve said “Bravo!!” She was the most positive person I ever knew. Stay with it Jonathan. We appreciate your insightful words.
Xxxx Sister2 :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Bless you Sister2. I’m glad you’ve had a laugh. I know how special sisters are. I nearly lost mine in 2018 but thankfully she recovered. She’s a tough old bird :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. We laugh together a lot. We lost our mum 7 years ago and we often reminisce about her. Gosh how we laugh. Our mum was funny without realising it which made her even funnier. The one time we were sat in the doctors waiting room and she suddenly said out loud, and I mean loud " I expect I’ll have that foreign get today!" I nearly died. I looked around the waiting room and everyone was smiling. When we got outside me and my sister howled :rofl::joy:. Mum had no idea what we were laughing at. Fortunately nobody was offended. So Sister2, I know how special sisters are. Sending love :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I have just wet myself laughing at that Kate :rofl::rofl: Your Mum sounds like she was a right character.

1 Like

Mum was completely deadpan Mrs Colt. She would do or say these funny things but would be expressionless which kinda made the situation more funny. She didn’t know what politically correct was. She was 85 when she died. I miss her. xx

2 Likes

I’m very stressed out at the moment for so many reasons, cancelled long needed holiday being one of them. Humour I am struggling to find much of right now.
That being said, I do like bananas. I also like marmite and I fail to understand how anyone else wouldn’t. Am I trolling?

2 Likes

Your Mum sounds a lot like mine Kate. My Sister & I used to recall my Mom’s funny moments too after we lost her. It helped get us through the grief. My Mom was also one to say the funniest things at the most inopportune times. When Mom, my sister & I were together we laughed till our sides hurt. My Mom had the ability to even laugh at herself, and the zany things she did. Even in my grief & sadness, I still find myself smiling at things my Mom & Sister said or did, that made me laugh when they were alive. I miss the laughter & joy they both brought to my life. :joy:

2 Likes

I like both. Kate x x x

1 Like

Colin and I were in a large shopping centre one day when he announced he needed the loo so off he pops. When he comes out he said ‘These toilets were disgusting, the floor was swimming in urine’ I said ‘eww that’s awful’ he said ’ I know but the strange thing is it was dry when I went in’ :rofl: :rofl: talk about toilet humour :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I said to Colin one day ’ Can I get a shot of that nose trimmer thing you have please’ he said ‘With the size of your nose you would be better using that contraption that shaves the bobbles off your jumpers’ :rofl:

2 Likes

So may ‘experts’ around these days. They never step outside the box.
The definition of an expert is ‘X is an unknown factor, and a ‘spurt’ is a drip under pressure’.

3 Likes

I totally agree, Alan and I were always laughing and we always knew what each other was thinking as I’m sure you and your husband did. To keep laughing means o feel like Alan is close to me. Take care xx

3 Likes

I should have been on holiday this week - nowhere exotic, to Wales but it would have been great as I was going with family - brothers and wives, sister, son, nephew’s, great nephew/neices. I’m one of eight so you get the picture. We were all very disappointed.
Anyway, to try to get over our disappointment, I hung up a world map and gave my sister a dart and said “Throw this and wherever it lands that’s where we’ll go for a holiday when this horrible pandemic is over.” Turns out we’re spending two weeks behind the fridge…:joy::rofl:

8 Likes