I miss my Mum

Thanks Sheila,
Those moments must be so so comforting especially for your granddaughter.
I will think about a Medium but as you say I’ll be very careful as there are imposters out there who take complete advantage of people like ourselves

Nick
X

Hi sheila, thank you so much for your kind words. I wish family were as encouraging as kind people like yourself on here

Nick
X

U have this exchange with interest and wanted to share my situation I’m a caring husband whose wife lost her mum 2/1/16. They had a wonderful relationship, more like sisters, giggling, laughing, even though there was a 30 year age gap. My wife describes her sadness as a wave that suddenly washes over her and she gets so upset. This morning before going out she gave me a big hug and just sobbed. Although I’m understanding and think the world of her I need to do more and decided to see what else is out there and came across this website. I will try and encourage her to join but any advice at this stage wold be appreciated.

Hi Bruce, I’m so sorry to hear that your wife has lost her mum. It sounds as though you are being really supportive, and it’s great that you are looking for advice on how best to help her.

I hope you get some useful replies on this community. You might be interested to read and reply to this post from Lynn, who is also looking to support her bereaved husband after he lost his dad: https://support.sueryder.org/community/coping-bereavement/wife-husband-who-lost-dad

Thank you Priscilla and Lonely for your your advice and supportive words.
Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I started this thread because I felt so alone, my dad and sister are dealing with things very differently to me and I was hoping to be able to reach out so those who were ‘in the same boat’ as me.
I wasn’t expecting 50 replies, all from different people and all with different stories.
The thing that we all have in common is that we have lost someone so so close to us and our lives have changed completely.
We have all reached out to each other as we are looking for support/words of comfort/approval that what we are feeling is actually ok, and without any judgement.
From my point of view - you are doing everything right. Sometimes I don’t know what I need, but knowing there is that supportive hug and the space to grieve (however that may be) is all we ask for.
Grieving is very much like riding the waves, sometimes I see them coming, and other times they knock me over like a ton on bricks with no warning and it’s very difficult to get back up.
You clearly love and care for your wife, and just knowing that you are there for her when she needs it, will bring much stability to what is sometimes a very rocky and upsetting road for her.
Don’t be afraid to ask your wife if there is anything you can do to help if you do feel like you need a bit of a pointer, this will show that you are very much ‘with’ your wife.

Keep in touch with us Bruce, and don’t forget to look after yourself aswell.

Kind regards
Nick

Thank you Nick. The replies I have received have been really helpful and very much appreciated. My wife is a very special lady to me and I will ensure I ask and listen more but will always be there to support and give her a big hug.
Bruce