Introduction

Good morning, I have just joined the group and looking forward to having conversations with people in similar situation. I lost my husband in October 23 after a hard fought battle with lung cancer. It would have been our 40th wedding anniversary on 23rd April. I am finding life very lonely

3 Likes

Iā€™m sorry for your loss.

I lost my husband on 4th of January to pancreatic cancer. It would have been our 45 wedding anniversary tomorrow.

There is always someone in here to answer your post. I hope you find a way to live less lonely ** :smile: **

3 Likes

Im sorry for your losd.
I lost my husband 23rd February, to lung cancer, we only knew for 6 weeks, it was so quick. We were together for 42 years, married for 12, it was our anniversary last week, that was tough.
I dont think I will ever get over it but I know I have to carry on, its what he wanted and I have my children and Grandchildren to think of too.
I too find life very lonely, although I have support from friends and family. Its the lonliness deep inside that only people going through this awful awful journey will understand.
Please keep posting here. It really helps to speak to others going through the same grief
Love and hugs

5 Likes

Dear @Jaffa and @Liro
I agree that the feeling of loneliness is dreadful. I feel sick with it sometimes. I can meet friends and family but still feel lonely. I keep busy as a way of copying (and come on this forum regularly) but those deep awful feelings of sadness and loneliness just donā€™t leave. I hate this grief journey. I know thereā€™s no avoiding it and I do try to view it as a measure of how much I loved ā€“ and still love ā€“ my partner, but I really hate feeling this way. Big hug to anyone feeling the same way x

6 Likes

Dear @KMS1
Thankyou for your reply.
Like you I try to keep busy, and yes I use this forum regularly. Iā€™ve also been volunterred for looking after my Grandaughters dog for a week, but it will give me some company and a reason to walk. We liked walking, and Iā€™m still trying to, but its so different on my own, lonely and sad (thereā€™s the lonely word again)
This grief journey is horrendous and there doesnā€™t seem to be any end to it.
I just tell myself that when 2 people have a love so deep and real, one is going to be totally heartbroken in the end, and although the pain is often unbearable, I wouldnā€™t have missed a minute of our time together
Love and hugs

4 Likes

You are so right @liro. I feel very lucky to have loved my partner as I did. Take very good care of yourself x

4 Likes

So sorry for your loss,i lost my husband to pancreatic cancer January this year so i understand how you are feeling. It is lonely for me as well without my husband ,we were together 25 years. Try and think of the happy memories you shared together.Hope this helps.

4 Likes

Hi @KMS1 and @lucycat
Memories are so important arenā€™t they. Its all we have now. Iā€™ve been trawling through videos trying to find one with his voice on. Is that silly, I so long to hear his voice again, I have loads of photos and heā€™s my screensaver on my phone, but I really need to hear him again. I try to dream of him and I did very briefly 2 nights ago, it was vivid at the time, but of course itā€™s faded now, and I was heartbroken when I woke but I knew that would happen, and it was worth it to see him again
Grief puts everything into perspective and you realise what is really important.
Now weā€™ll walk this lonely road taking any crumbs of comfort we can get.

2 Likes

So sorry for your loss. I lost my dearest husband to cardiac arrest last May. Almost a year in, have been trying to take one day at a time but still feeling so sad and lonely not much better from day one!
Will be thinking of you on your wedding anniversary. Please keep sharing we are here to share and support one another. We all are going through the same sad and painful journey.
Sending hugs and strength
:heart_hands:

2 Likes

4 months on for me - should I be feeling better? Thought I was coping ok and even went away with a friend for 10 days! This was a distraction at the time but mow back home the reality of permanence has hit yet again! Family are wonderful but they have their own lives to live and so it should be! Before he passed my husband said ā€œat the end of the day we are on our ownā€! This seems to be true however loving friends and family are! However do we come to terms with grief? I suppose we never will! Just having a bad few days! Hugs to all xx

3 Likes

Iā€™m the same @Cynthonia. My partner died aged 56 on 19th February and I thought I was coping but this week I have had three particularly bad days, including today. I seem to be trying to fill my time for the sake of filling time or as a distraction. I feel lonely but the only person I want to solve that canā€™t. I have friends and family too but, as you rightly say, they are leading their own lives - just as they should. It is hard to make the effort to do anything some days but I am trying to force myself as I know thatā€™s what my partner wanted. Big hug to you and anyone else going through this: it is so hard and so sad x

3 Likes

Yes, feel exactly the same. Lost my husband 10th January this year. Lonely and anxious for my future life - have no idea what it will look like and have to find the energy to create it. Feel totally empty at the moment.

3 Likes

so agree K! Find going out in car a distraction just for the sake of it!!! To top it all just found gaps in conservatory sandtex - will have to get round that, something Tony would have done with ease!!! Doesnt help!! xx

3 Likes

Yes Iā€™m the same, 8 weeks into this horrendous journey and still stuggling to make sense of it all. I find it so hard to motivate myself to do anything and then I only do things as a distraction. I too feel so lonely and as you say the only one who can stop that has gone. The emptiness inside is almost unbearable. Iā€™ve really got to try and make a new life, but I donā€™t know how. I do
have family and friends and they are supportive, but they canā€™t be there all the time, they work and they have their own lives. Iā€™ve been staying at my sisters which has been a good distraction, but Iā€™m dreading going home. The emptiness and loneliness will be even more intense. I think maybe I was just running away, but the situation will still be the same when i go home, he will still be gone

2 Likes

emptiness good word to describe it Mogs - a massive hole has opened up! Somehow we have to find strength to cope in the present let alone looking forward!! Grief is a long horrible journey!

2 Likes

Yep- coming back very hard! I felt it too early to go away but family insisted (went to Spain)! Had a good time as far as it went but felt I was putting on an act! Someone was missing and first time I had been away without him! Usually go to daughterā€™s weekends but this one she had an activity with kids, so am home alone! Excruciating grief xx

2 Likes

Reading various topics here on losing a partner, Sunday really does seem to bring everything home.
11 weeks since it happened and Iā€™ve really tried so very hard. Been away a couple of times, have another couple of trips away planned. I go out and meet friends, take walks and try to look after myself. Today has been a sunny day but Iā€™m so unhappy.
But nothing is working and I simply want my Steve back. I really canā€™t see an end to this grief, or a point to anything any more. Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m ready to give up and join him, but how much more of this is bearable?

5 Likes

My husband passed recently. It was unexpected, sudden and traumatic. I have had support from good friends and some family. Sadly, the people I thought would be with me and support me have not. I am still in the ā€˜Heā€™s gone but it canā€™t be trueā€™ stage. It is so lonely. We were together all the time. Now the funeral is over, people are not contacting me as much. I try to distract myself, it doesnā€™t always work. I usually feel Iā€™m just filling time. I cry quite a bit, cuddle the cat and watch tv. This is not living.

4 Likes

Hi @RoseGarden
I know exactly how you feel. The funeral is over so you must be ok. But itā€™s not ok and never will be again. We too did everything together and now I canā€™t motivate myself to do anything much. I go out but Iā€™m not really there, my mind is on Roger, every minute of everyday. And I cry so much, I donā€™t know where all the tears come from
Iā€™m glad youā€™ve got family and friends support, but even that isnā€™t enough to replace the loss and the loneliness we feel inside.
Can you maybe try and get out, if only for a walk, I find it helps, a bit.
Iā€™m afraid distractions are all weā€™ve got, for now anyway
Youā€™ve done right by posting on here, thereā€™s so many of us all in the same boat, who all understand, because weā€™re all going through this same horrendous nightmare.
Weā€™re all here for each other

2 Likes

You not alone,Rosegarden, with the after the funeral comment - we find out who are friends really are! Am with you also with ā€œit cant be trueā€ and then suddenly the finality hits - devastating! Somehow we have to weather this awful storm however long it takes!xx

3 Likes