Is there an afterlife? Signs

Since my partner 63 died 3 weeks ago of ap sudden heart attack I have strangely become obsessed with wanting to know what happens after we die? Do we just no longer exist or are we elsewhere in spirit? I know nobody can answer this for obvious reasons but I am trying to make some sense out of the purpose in life…I know my brain is acting weirdly…Jim was on the sofa at home when the ambulance arrived (he was still talking normally etc), anyway he subsequently was on life support for 4 days before he died, on the night before he passed I was sat in the exact same spot on the sofa when all of a sudden the sofa was vibrating up and down, it scared the hell out of me and at first I thought it was me being over tired but my dog who was laying the other side of the sofa suddenly jumped off and was staring at the end it was vibrating so I knew I hadn’t imagined it (I knew anyway but the dog confirmed it) when I got the call from the hospital the next day I knew he had gone. It was as though he was saying goodbye to me or trying to push me off the sofa to get to the hospital (I never made it in time).
Does anyone else have these thoughts? Do you think they see and hear us?

6 Likes

Hello, 3 days after my husband died, I came into the living room & the wooden knob on the curtain rail flew across the room past me, I feel this was my husband letting me know he was ok, I think what you experienced was your husband doing the same :+1:

3 Likes

I too have become obsessed with what comes after we die if anything. I used to believe, I had faith. Since my husband died in September I just don’t know if I believe anymore, it’s sad as I really want to but I don’t feel anything, no signs or anything. When people point out white feathers I know they’ve come out of my cushion etc. :see_no_evil:

I did buy a IKEA cabinet and it has all his photos in and the light I bought to go inside comes on randomly, on its own, but I don’t think it’s a sign, I keep thinking it’s a faulty light.

It’s really depressing and I hope my belief comes back. I was watching loads of videos on YouTube of near death experiences and everyone said similar that they felt love and lights etc, not a lot mentioned meeting loved ones though so that freaked me out. So I’ve stopped obsessing so much about it now, I’m trying to go back to a
“who knows?” Attitude.

1 Like

I keep looking at a photo of him and thinking this can’t be it? All he is now is a photo on a shelf and a memory? There has to be more surely? I can’t bear the thought of nobody being there to meet me when I pass…so many unknowns, so many questions but I do know the sofa vibrating could only be him as it was his spot. It was vibrating for minutes not seconds and my dog staring at it and wagging his tail. I swing between believing and then that you just go to sleep forever and that’s it. So sad isn’t it? It makes you wonder why we are here

3 Likes

I so hope they are signs, I’m hopeful our connections don’t just cease when our loved one’s pass otherwise what is the point of everything?

3 Likes

I think it all comes down to what you want to believe? If I believed there was nothing when we die & I’d never see my loved ones again I think I’d struggle to carry on & what a waste of my life if I died & I went somewhere & all my loved ones were there? so I prefer to believe I’m only temporarily parted from them, that enables me to carry on.

5 Likes

Yes, it consumed me early on. I was terrified. I’m only young ish 38 so I kept thinking " if I get married again who would I end up with in the afterlife?" So that shows that I must still believe in something for me to worry. I don’t have any plans on wanting to ever move on either I think my mind was just so consumed by all the unknown.

I just can’t ever get my head around the fact that someone can be here one minute then gone the next. Where do they go?

I know what you mean about the comforting thought of loved ones waiting for you when you pass though. I always thought I’d die first, usually of some awful disease and imagined my husband nursing me through death. Now I’m scared that I’ll die alone. Silly really as I have 5 children, but whenever I was sick I always wanted my husband.

All the unknown thoughts are too much.

2 Likes

I agree with that. No harm if it gets you through. If there is nothing we will be dead so it won’t bother us either way.

I do think everything is pointless if there is nothing more. Surely there has to be a deeper meaning. I just keep an open mind. I just don’t feel my husband round me, or my dad who passed in 2018. Maybe they go somewhere else and are not necessarily by our sides. There are a lot of possibilities. X

l do believe that loved ones will make themselves known.
On saturday just gone my sister woke early on the anniversary of her son’s death (2000). She felt down and started to write in her journal to release her feelings, just then her bedside light switched off and then on, she couldn’t believe it. she checked all connections, everything was fine. she was buzzing. then a while later her watch alarm sounded at 6am. she had switched off the alarm some weeks earlier, she checked ‘no’ it was still switched off?? and if that wasn’t enough, she went to the supermarket and was bumped into by a young man and when she turned, the man was wearing a name tag ‘Danny’, her son’s name. By this time she was practically dancing down the aisles with the biggest cheshire grin on her face she could muster.
she relayed this to me coz she knew l would totally believe her (this was not the first time her son had made himself known) plus as l lost my husband in November and all l wanted was hubby to switch my light on and off to tell me he was here.
so carry on believing, but dont go looking for it. you will know when it happens.

4 Likes

So have I since my partner also died suddenly two weeks ago tomorrow. I’ve been looking into NDE’s and mediums etc. I’ve been watching a series on Netflix called Life After Death with Tyler Henry. I’m sceptical but open if that makes sense. I really want to believe there’s something more after this and that he’s ok and at peace. It absolutely breaks me to think that you can love someone for seventeen years for them to just become a memory :sob: I have to believe I will see him again in some way.

5 Likes

Dear Sarlyn
I never believed in the afterlife but my mum did
When she passed I started to see white feathers
One day I was painting my decking I turned around stuck on the decking was a white feather
she had a great sense of humour- it made me smile
It’s been 4 years since she passed and I still find white feathers in strange places
It does give me comfort and when I see them I think of her
I loss my husband 9 months before my mum died so they could be from him !!
I will never know
As long as it gives you comfort whatever you believe and makes life more bearable with the loss of your loved ones
It’s just a nice thought that they may be still with us in spirit
Xx

2 Likes

it is most normal to wonder and seek signs. I think we all do it, those who ponder.

It was ice cold where my dad lay on his side of the bed. Ice cold. my minds eye saw the Grim Reaper against a wall 2x before he passed. someone saw my mom in his periphery. I smelt perfume after she died. that knob flying is wow. my parents said when the dog died, the keys in the lock began to swing back and forth all on their own. the co-worker of a friend saw a woman in a nightgown sitting in his office, his deceased mother. many accounts from many still living … but hard to know. an odd one: the Hawaii Police Department has a great ghost series on YouTube for anyone seeking.

1 Like

Me too! It is just too painful to believe death is the end :broken_heart:

3 Likes

I’ve mentioned going to see a medium to people and I think some of them think I’m nuts. Maybe I am, who knows? But I really want to try :broken_heart:

4 Likes

I´ve been to them before loss.

I found nuggets of wisdom and comfort … I think they serve a purpose in life.

Hello Hun I do believe that they give you a sign my precious mum passed away on the 10th of march this year and I cared for my wonderful mum for five months I moved in with her to look after her u washed her cared for her massaged her when she had pain mum was diagnosed in October last year with terminal lung Cancer with months left to live anyway I was with her when she passed away and I was watching TV well I say watching TV but mainly Just some poor TV program on sky plus any way I paused this programme to tell my mum it was ok to let go now within seconds she had passed away few minutes literally a few minutes had passed and I turned the sky programme off and the radio was on and literally the song that mum wanted at her funeral the travelling willburys it’s alright at the end of the line song came on the radio omg I couldn’t believe it is t was almost like she was telling me I’ve made it and before she got really ill she said that look for robins and yes I saw one nearly every few Hours over the next few days it’s like she’s telling me that I’m happy now I’m in No more pain and I’m with dad now my wonderful dad passed away in December 2020 and I do believe that they couldn’t be without one another I’m just releived that they’re together again now they will send you a sign that only you will understand sorry for writing so much lot’s of love Kirsty xx

4 Likes

@Sarlyn I lost my father unexpected recently - I totally believe all the spooky goings on and little messages are him.

I’d like to quote Julius Robert Mayer. " Energy can neither be created nor destroyed only transformed or transferred from one form to another."

Yes, They’re still around. I find myself talking to my father as if hes still here - also I get random thoughts pop up in my head when im in need of help and they’re usually the solution. I’d like to think it’s my dad giving me ideas.

2 Likes

@BlondeDuck
I love that quote and I believe that too. I lost my dad 5 years ago and I was utterly devastated as he was my everything and I can now finally hear his voice and know exactly what he would advise me to do in any situation.
I’m sorry you lost your dad and I’m glad you have found some comfort

2 Likes

@Lonely
I too believe and it is giving me some comfort as I only lost my partner 4 wks ago. I had known him 54 yrs. It was out the blue, no symptoms, no warnings, massive heart attack at 63. Here one minute and gone the next. I am still in shock and denial and expect him to walk through the door any minute. My dog sits patiently waiting at the door and it breaks my heart.
Sorry for the loss of your husband, there just are not enough words to express what it does to us

3 Likes

I’m desperate to believe there is something, many times since my partner passed I’ve asked him out loud to give me a sign he’s ok and that he’s still around somewhere. I accept that I’m never going to see him in this world again but if I only knew that he is still out here somewhere and not just gone forever I honestly think I could pull myself together and try and carry on knowing I’ll see him again. I also think that him coming through in a dream wouldn’t be enough for me to actually believe because I dream about lots of people I know, just last night I dreamt I was in a car with a girl I used to work with and a boy I went to school with over twenty years ago, we were going to pick up weed for the girl, the boy was the dealer. The boy who takes a lot of drugs had literally popped up on Facebook mouthing off at someone I knew a few days before but I’d not seen or thought about him since school before that, it’s not like I knew him well in school so it was very random lol. I’ve also had random people like a girl who served me in my local poundstretchers one time show up in my dreams and I’m certain there’s no message to be found there. I need something solid in my waking hours that I know could only be him. I don’t know what but I’m sure there’s something he could do if he really wants to and when he is ready. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like