It's ok to not be ok this Christmas

It is a hard time of year for so many. Fact. It’s also important to know that it is ok to not feel ok - despite what the Christmas songs and adverts are saying, Christmas and the New Year can be so difficult when that someone (or a number of people) isn’t around any more. This page on the MIND website may be helpful for some of you - as well as looking at some of the reasons Christmas can feel so tough, it also offers some Christmas coping tips.

The community will of course still be here over the next few weeks so please do continue to reach out and support one another and if you would like to, you could light a candle at 7pm on Christmas Eve as a way of joining with others to remember those no longer here. There is a thread about this - if you are interested, please do take a look at this thread: Lighting a Christmas Eve Candle.

I also want to share a few links with you, should you feel you need more help over the next few weeks or need to access further support.

As well as providing lots of helpful resources, the At a Loss website has a GriefChat function which is available to help connect people with a Bereavement Counsellor - here is when it can be accessed over the Christmas period (outside of this time is can be accessed 09:00 - 21:00, Monday - Friday):
Christmas Eve: 09:00 - 15:00
Wednesday 29th December: 09:00 - 21:00
Thursday 30th December: 09:00 - 21:00
New Year’s Eve: 09:00 - 15:00

We have a number of bereavement information and support pages on our website all of which can be found here: https://www.sueryder.org/how-we-can-help/bereavement-information. This includes a support page about coping with grief at Christmas.

I have also seen a number of young people sharing about their situations recently (thank you so much for sharing/reaching out in this way) - for those of you who are interested, I’d encourage you to take a look at our new support for young people pages.

Finally, if you feel you are in crisis and really could do with some more support or a listening ear over Christmas, Samaritans can be contacted by phone on 116 123 and Shout by text on 85258, 24/7.

Please know you are not alone and that we absolutely recognise how hard this time of year can be - keep reaching out as and when you feel you need to.

Take care,
Megan

5 Likes

Thank you Megan.

I’m doing my best to get through Christmas. Kept a happy face on it but on my own tonight and just so sad and struggling :purple_heart: