I've lost my dad to Covid-19 and am beyond broken

Thank you TCT - what an awful ‘club’ we have found ourselves belonging to. I find myself wondering if my mum just assumed that the hospital were keeping us informed as to her condition and so she didn’t feel under pressure to keep texting when it undoubtedly was a struggle for her. I cannot believe that she would knowingly leave us terrified and tormented even if she had to ask the nurses to ring us herself. We also were told that mum had every chance of getting better and so I really wasn’t expecting that early morning phone call and of course I knew immediately what it meant. This is all so incredibly difficult.
Thinking of you xx

2 Likes

Hi Zilli80, I know, I find it really hard to see my mum all alone now too, she keeps all the bits and bobs to show me and we sort through them, it keeps us both occupied although she is being magnificent I’m so proud of her. My dad passed a day and a couple of hours after their golden wedding which we should have been celebrating, but instead we are going through all this trauma. My dad wasn’t put on a ventilator either, just struggled on with a c pap. He started to improve on their wedding anniversary we felt like we’d won the pools only to be devastated hours later really, we weren’t allowed to see him, no contact at all, and that will haunt me forever xx Sending hugs xx

2 Likes

Hi Ali1, Oh goodness me, yes it really is just the most awful ‘club’ you could ever imagine isn’t it, even now every morning I wake and think, is it real? My dad rang once when his sats were up and he was getting oxygen, right at the start when he went in, heard nothing for ages then 2 days later he text for the last time. He would always be calling and messaging normally so I knew he was really poorly, but I never thought he would go like he did, I naively thought he’d have some oxygen for a few days to get over the worst and then start getting better, if Boris Johnson could do it, so could my dad! But no, bless his heart he couldn’t, my big strong daddy defeated by this cruel and evil virus taking all our precious loved ones before their time, it still feels unreal, I still feel like he’s sat in hospital but I guess it’s the not seeing them and the lack of closure causing that. Thinking of you too lovely big hugs xx

3 Likes

I’m so sorry we feel exactly the same as you. It’s just so hard. I pray we all get through this. I miss my Dad so so much like you. Somehow we will get through this. We have to for our children/families x

1 Like