Losing my mum

I lost my mum about 14 months ago now and I’ve been going through all the phases of grief from crying to anger and I’m struggling so much at the moment to cope with all the emotions. My mum was my rock and my best friend, it was me her and my brother for as long as I can remember and being at uni away from home makes it so much harder, all I want to do is talk about her and let her live on or else I feel like she’s getting lost in memories, as silly as that sounds.

It’s not silly. But honestly you will always remember no matter how old you are. No matter what your doing. She is there. :heart:

1 Like

sorry that you have cause to find us but welcome. It sounds horrible that you are also away from home which makes it harder.

If someone who knew your mum was there now what would you talk about? what was she like? Maybe you can tell us some things xx

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve lost your mum at such a young age. Everything that you are feeling sounds completely normal and understandable. It is not at all silly to want to talk about your mum - it’s a really important way to release your emotions and keep a sense of connection to her.

I’m glad that you’ve found this site, as it can be a really good place to ‘talk’ to others who understand. I just wanted to mention that we have another user called @abae who has also lost their mum this year and is 21 and a university student. You can read their recent post here and post a reply if you’d like to talk to them: Loosing your only parent at a young age

2 Likes

Hello, I’m @abae, trust me I completely understand how your feeling right now, these are all the emotions I’m feeling too, especially being away at university I’m in my 3rd year away from my family, I lost my mum 6 months ago, and honestly I feel like every time I want to talk about my mum all my friends are going to be annoyed with me. I think it’s difficult as they don’t understand how we are feeling and they can’t relate which makes us feel even more alone.

If you want to connect and have a chat I’d love to, I’ve sent you a private message
I’m sorry for you loss x

2 Likes

Hello i have just joined as i have recently lost my wonderful dad. When my daughter was born my then husband left me and i went to live with my parents so they could look after me and my baby as i wasn’t coping very well at all. 25 years on and i am still with them. My dad helped raise my daughter took her away and was such a huge part of our lives. He was diagnosed with lung cancer after feeling a little unwell and died within a week of diagnosis. We buried him on Thursday 15th October 2020 and my daughter got married on the 17th so as you can imagine a mixed bag of emotions. I still have mum who i love very much but i am really struggling and cry every day thinking about him it was all so quick and of course i am reminded of him every day. So sorry to waffle but i am hoping that by talking to this group i can get some comfort in knowing that how i feel is very normal :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi I lost my mum suddenly 4 weeks ago. I’m going through all these emotions too. It really doesn’t matter how old you are, my mum was still my rock too and my best friend. I still waken everyday and can’t believe I’ll never talk to her again. She was the one person that knew me better than myself and I feel so lost without her. You can come on here and talk about her if it helps and share your feelings. Nothing will take your pain away but it helps a little to talk to others going through the same.

Thankyou it means so much! She was the most amazing down the earth woman ever always making sure everyone else was safe and okay. She was a nurse for over 35 years and she’s who inspired me to go to uni in the first place

1 Like

She sounds like a lovely mum Cerys, not just to you but also being a nurse for so long she must have made a good difference to so many people’s lives. No wonder you are proud of her. Did she know you would go to uni? I bet she was proud of you too.

Are you close with your brother or is he not much of a talker?

If there’s no one you can talk to maybe you could try writing down some memories in a special diary or suchlike. Maybe you could start with a special occasion or a photo and try to write as much as you remember? Not sure if it will help but someone recommended it to me and I thought I’ll give it a try soon along with giving each day now a rating so in the future you can look back and hopefully see less of the 0 out of 10 crap days (I don’t know what we’re supposed to do if we only rate them all as zero days!! hopefully it won’t happen).

I hope you are allowed to go home somewhere more familiar soon, take care xx

Hi I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your dad! He sounds amazing. I don’t blame you for feeling the way you do it’s so difficult. I’m glad you’ve got your mum and your daughter there for you and I hope the wedding went as best it could! It helps knowing there is others out there who feel the same as you and it is normal, grief is a weird thing which everyone deals with differently

Thank you Cerys so sorry for that late reply its been a pretty tough time and i have been to the doctors to talk about my grief. I am coping a bit better now still cry most days but not as often. I hope you are well and i wish you a Happy Christmas xxx