Losing my mum

I lost my mum 2 days ago… I’m really struggling to cope with it… I’m a 38 year old and my mum was taken from me suddenly and I don’t know what to do… please if anyone has any advice I’d really appreciate any help

3 Likes

Hi Steve, can I start off by saying I’m really sorry for the loss of your mum. I’m 32 and I lost my dad 5 years ago on the 18th of Oct to terminal lung cancer and although I knew what the over out come was going to be nothing prepared me for when that time came, I can only imagine losing your mum so suddenly must have been a massive shock! I don’t think we ever get over this grief of losing a parent or a loved one but we learn to live beside it in our everyday life if you know what I mean? Just wanted to reach out to you to say your not alone and that don’t expect too much from yourself and that it’s OK to have all of these emotions and talking about it all will benefit you in the long run. Please feel free to message back, take care lorraine

Unbelievably my mums name was Lorraine… how strange is that… thank you for your words it means a lot… I know everything is raw right now for myself but I’m just not coping to well… I’m trying to look after my dad who is also really struggling… I really appreciate you taking the time out of your day to reply… thank you so much

1 Like

No way! That is so strange, your welcome I just know how hard it is, and it’s OK not to be coping and I’m sure your mum is with you and I’m sure she proud of you for how you are trying to deal with this grief and looking after your dad. You can message me anytime its no problem at all

Thank you so much… I literally can’t believe the person who 1st replied to my message has the same name as my beautiful mum… your kind words mean a lot to me… it’s not like Lorraine is a common name… I hope she is looking over us all she was the glue to my family… thank you so much… I just feel my world has crashed and my life will never be the same… I know lots of people are in my position… I just hope that in time things can get a little easier… I have a 6 year old daughter who is keeping me going

1 Like

Your very welcome, happy to help anyway I can and it helps me too. I know what are the chances of that!! Yes there are lots of people going through this but when it happens to you it’s surprising how alone you feel, even if your not, aww kids can be the best medicine :blush: I’m sure your daughter is super proud of you too and will keep you going even in your darkest times I know my 5 nieces did! I’m a really big believer that our loved ones look over us and I’m sure your mum is watching over you, probably making sure you do things correctly :slightly_smiling_face: x

1 Like

Hi Steve, I’m so sorry. I too lost my mum two days ago, on Tuesday. I am devastated. Kieran

2 Likes

Hi kieran sorry for the loss of your mum too :cry:

2 Likes

Hi mate, it’s hard aint it …. It doesn’t seem to be getting any easier… here if you need to chat mate

3 Likes

Hi Steve I know the feeling as I’ve lost my mum 2 months ago and im 43 I like you find it hard and im not coping very well :cry:

2 Likes

I know people say times a healer but it also seems no1 ever gets over it… the slightest little thing can trigger a memory and then you’re back in tears… my situation is still very raw but I don’t see any light at the end of the tunnel as of now… I found a note that my 6 year old daughter wrote to my mum about missing her and her being in heaven and I was in floods of tears… I’ve found talking to people like yourself makes it slightly more bearable… here if you need to chat

2 Likes

Aah that is very sad and yes it will be raw like me it still raw and only taking steps ive not got any children and I feel lost without my mum and alone . I feel worthless without her. Ive always turn to my mum for anything and I also did alot for her because we were close and feel empty :pensive: x

2 Likes

Hi Steve
Sorry for the loss of ur mam, I’m 35 and lost my mam suddenly it’s been 8 months on Wednesday. I think a sudden death is much harder to deal with than if it’s expected. I know how u feel. Ur just at the beginning of the grief journey…I know u can’t see light at end of tunnel yet as it is still really raw, I couldn’t get my head round it for the first 2 months. Try not to think too far ahead at the moment just take each day as it comes, have u got any support around u at the moment? XX

You’re certainly not worthless… me and my mum was close …we had a little holiday in a caravan last week she was saying she was un well , we got back on Friday and we lost her on Tuesday… I’m lucky to have that little memory although she couldn’t do much on the break because of feeling un well… this group has really helped me over the last couple of days as I’m slowly coming to terms with the fact I’ve lost her…. Always here if you need to chat

2 Likes

Hello Emma b, luckily for myself I do have some support in terms of my dad (who we are both helping each other) and my sister… my nephew and my daughter are keeping me going… so in that respect I’m very lucky… some people don’t have any support which I can only imagine is really tough… I’m heartbroken but I’m doing my best to make my mum proud and always will do…. This group is really helpful I’ve also joined a bereavement group on social media that helps…. We’re all on here because we’ve suffered a loss so it’s nice to be able to chat to people in the same situation x

1 Like

Hi Steve,

I’m so sorry for the loss of your mum. I lost my mum 8 weeks ago, I’m 33 and it was so sudden. I found the earlier days like a daze and consumed with planning and sorting that I don’t think I felt the true size of the loss.
8 weeks on I feel like im wading through mud, trying not to fall over and just make it to the other side. It isn’t getting any easier for me, in fact the longer it’s been since I’ve seen or spoken to her it feels more difficult. It’s my birthday next week and I don’t think I can face it without her here.

Im glad you have your little one to keep you afloat and there are plenty of us here in the same boat who will be here to talk to.

One foot in front of the other, take care x

2 Likes

Thank you Lorraine x

1 Like

Hi Steve, thanks. In regards to speaking to someone with the same name as your mum, my mum’s name is Anne and Ispoke to someone at the bereavement service called Anne today, maybe it’s a message.
I checked my mother’s account today as I was helping her with payments in recent times and I saw her broadband came out - this got me :pensive:
Kieran x

1 Like

I lost my mum back in August to complications of dementia. Had to watch her slip away slowly over several weeks in hospital. She was two weeks in palliative care. Not an experience I want to go through again. Trying to support dad and process what’s happening. Thought her dying would make things easier. How wrong I was! I’m emotional all the time and I feel like it’s starting to affect my relationships with my close family. We still haven’t sorted her possessions out and planning to make a start tomorrow. Not sure how I’ll get through it but it needs doing and I can’t expect dad to do it by himself.

Hi v1
Sorry for the loss of ur mam. I had to clear my mams house and sort through possessions with my dad. It is hard. Do u have any close family or friends to help u do it? Grief is a horrible emotional rollercoaster, my advice is try not to throw too much away at this stage as u might realise u want it later. I’ve still got all my mams things from clothes to perfumes etc I have them in storage at my dads. It’s been 8 months and I still can’t bare to go through everything properly yet. I find dealing with possessions hard, especially clothes. But I’m glad I have them and they are there for when I do decide I can go through them properly. We had to give up and clear my mams house of 30 years. My childhood home. Was hard seeing the place as empty as when we moved in. Try and get others to support u with it xx