Loss of whole family

Hi All ,
I’m new to this , but feel it’s time to seek support. Over the past few years I’ve lost both my parents and more recently (8months) my only sibling to illness . I’m 49 and feel I’ve lost all . I have a loving partner but it’s not the same . I feel I’m in a rut and can’t shift it … been taking anti depressants which help but it’s the overwhelming sense of loss. Been really struggling with sleep recently and getting only a few hrs per night .
Considering more one to one counselling but am weary as am a very private person .
This past few months has shown me who my real friends are with many people I thought were friends disappeared , I recognise maybe too painful for them !!

3 Likes

Hello @Jpedin,

I can see that you’re new to the community. I really hope you find it to be a support to you, but I’m so sorry for the losses that bring you here. It’s completely understandable that you’re feeling like you have lost it all when you’ve experienced the loss of your whole family. That is so much to cope with.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share some links with you that might be helpful.

Shout are contactable by text, 24/7. You can text REMEDY to 85258 and talk to them about anything. They’re there all night if you’re struggling with your sleep.

If you did want to try more counselling, Sue Ryder offers an online bereavement counselling service. This is a free service and sessions are held via video chat so you can attend from home. There’s more information about this service here: sueryder.org/counselling.

You might also find our Grief Guide self-help platform helpful, too. It has information, resources and tools to help you cope with grief.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Take care - you are not alone.
Seaneen

I’m so sorry for your loss. I lost my partner of 36 years just 3 weeks ago today. The grief confusion anguish fear sleep issues I completely understand. They tell me it gets easier with time. Just feels like a big dark cold lonely emptiness to me. I’m sending you my healing thoughts and prayers. :heart::dove:

1 Like

I can recommend counselling even if you are a private person, you can say as much (or little) as you feel able to but they help bring a sense of perspective to everything. I spent much of my first session sobbing but the counsellor didn’t judge me and let me go at my own pace. She cleared a lot of doubts and explained why I was feeling the way I did about certain things. It did help me so much, so ask yourself what have you got to lose? If it doesn’t feel right for you then you don’t have to continue.
I wish you all the very best at this difficult time.