Lost Mum/Dad - Daily chat (part 2)

I got the last date wrong
It was 9/1/19 also a palindrome.
Just some more math gymnastics
Cheryl - i think we are looking for that escape hatch but it does not exist. I think I mentioned before that a few months back I told my husband he could keep everything and that I was going to leave with just a suitcase and my computer. I just wanted to dash away to anywhere else but there.
Ell

I find dates and numbers fascinating ell.
My mum died on the 14th june.
She met my dad on the 13th june 1968, they married on the 14th june 1969 and she died on their 50th wedding anniversary 14th june 2019.
There has to be something in it doesnt there x

2 Likes

Sorry I mean the 14th june she met my dad.
14th june married and 14th june died

I find it interesting when people die on their birthdays too.

Yes I think so - unfortunately due to the limits of my IQ, I dont know what it all means
I dont think you could orchestrate all of that on purpose - its so unlikely
Jooles - I meant to comment on your dream. Only you can tell if it is a premonition. Its probably a well reasoned fear based on the circumstances. Glad he is ok.
Ell

Anyone find shopping really difficult? Mum asked for some Bailey’s chocolates before she died and I could not find them, for the past few weeks they have been sitting on the shelf in the shop looking at me. Then today what did I see, mothers day cards. So difficult.

Hi everyone.
I’m also very concerned about coronvirus. I can hardly believe that I’ve lost my Mum and now there is potentially a pandemic on it’s way.
I’ve always been very interested in pandemics, so having some knowledge is making me rather anxious.

Cheryl, I always though I’d stay in Mums house, as it so familiar. I’m also finding it difficult, with her not there.
I think that eventually the things we struggle with will eventually be a comfort. I hope so.

Definitely barrie. I always went shopping with my mum. I see women that look like her when I’m shopping and then the stab of pain returns that I will never do that again. Even after all this time I can only shop for what I need for a day or two.
I cant deal with big shops anymore

1 Like

I hope so daffy. X

In a way it’s a relief that I dont have to worry about my mum catching it. Although I thought she was very healthy and strong I know different now, so she would have been very vulnrable. Ive just read that the first case of someone catching the virus within the UK has been confirmed tonight

Yes shopping is really hard I could tell you know in each and every shop what dad would want. It’s like a constant slap in the face all the time. But shopping has also been something me and mom can do to get us out the house. It’s a double edged sword x

1 Like

Daffy do you think it will become a pandemic? I find it interesting. I’m nervous for my dad. But I also think the newspapers are scaremongering. It’s not something I’m concerned about yet. Surely it’s no different from the flu?

I’m really hoping it mutates into something weaker or burns itself out quickly. I find it scary. I’m hope it does not turn into a pandemic, but it is looking increasingly likely by the day.
My partner is an optimist and is not particularly concerned about it at present.
I noticed there was hardly any rice left in Sainsbury’s this evening. Yes, there probably is scaremongering by some of the papers.

People were stocking up in Morrison’s yesterday. I love a bit of drama so like all the hype. But I would worry if a family member was at risk like my dad

My understanding is that it already is a pandemic; it already passes the set criteria. But the world health organisation is reluctant to label it as one yet because of financial and other implications that some into place once a pandemic is officially declared.
I dont think we should be concerned, just be careful in terms of hygiene etc.
Another weekend of storms is more worrying for me!
Had a bad morning today. I cant see me ever getting better than I currently am. I’m functioning, working full time, looking after a house, paying bills etc.
However I have zero interest in a social life and my mum is literally on my mind every second of the day.
I feel physically sick when thoughts of the day she died enter my head. I force myself to conjure up memories of her though because I’m scared at how much time is passing by without her.
I still dont feel I will ever be truly happy again but if I live another 30 years that’s a very depressing thought.
Have a good night everyone x

Many virologists are already calling it a pandemic, but Who have been using very cautious language.
If I live as long as my Mum I’d have another 21 years. I believe I could spend most of that grieving. I try and be optimistic, but I how much I’ve missed my Dad over the last twenty years. Mum and I were like twins.
I think there is no quick route through grief.
It never rains but pours. I might needs a dentist, due to pain.
Good night.

1 Like

Hi Cheryl,
You will
I know it
When my dad died, i sat in his driveway by myself and told him that I will see him in 40 years. That idea was comforting for about a week, then I crumpled into a helpless mess and here we all are.
You have to make yourself do something new or something not new but that you have wanted to do. It freshens the mind. We can not live like this for 40 years!
I have been snowboarding twice - it takes the mind to a different place. I find myself pining away to go to the Alps to snowboard a run called Sarene. Next month, we take the family to Utah to ski the rockies and I am actually looking forward to it - that is progress. Its these little things - hope maybe - that drives our strength. What do you like to do?
How are your mom’s friends doing? Maybe have lunch with them? I got a lot of help from my dad’s buddies early on. They told me not to be angry. They told me to try something new. They told me about their own families and I could see the pain return at the reminder of the loss of their own parents under similar circumstances to ours. Every person lost at least one parent prematurely and suddenly … they are all fine and we will be too. Those discussions all helped prop me up. Silly things like a friend who would just randomly drop off some chocolate just to remind me that there is love and life and happiness out there. It helped a little.
Ell

1 Like

Have you got dental pain? Or is it deferred pain?
Just over a year ago I got diagnosed at kings college hospital with something called disthesia.
Its pain of the teeth and it can be awful. My gums sting, my teeth hurt as if they have been punched and my gums can bleed.
But it’s nothing to do with my teeth. I’m 49 and I’ve never had a filling. My dentist says she rarely sees such good teeth.
It’s most commonly suffered by women in their 40s and probably down to stress and hormones.

Ell,

To he honest with full time shift work, looking after ac13 year old, looking after a house and garden etc there isnt much opportunity to go away anywhere. I lost my childcare when mum died. But I will take my daughter away for a few days at Easter which will be nice and we go to somerset for a week every august.
When I retire at 55 I definitely plan to travel.
My mums friends rang me regularly for 3 months then I never heard another word.
My world revolves around my partner and daughter but work and life and paying bills get in the way.