memories of special times with a diamond of a lady.

this time every year Jayne would be arranging our little holiday in Brixham.
I did contact the councils in Brixham and around Torbay trying get a memorial bench or tree something in Jaynes memory,sadly they are not allowing any more at present.they did say if there was already a bench.even if there was its not the same as buying your own.
got so many memories,we did stay at different places in Brixham but there was one house on pump street right in the middle of Brixham were we stayed several times was a beautiful upside down house,were the bedrooms were on a lower level and the lounge/sitting room was on the top level with the kitchen was open plan,and a little patio door,which was much needed as it was warm as buggeries.we would get there mid to late afternoon on the Saturday ,id jump out go to the little key safe get the keys out,then get back in the car we would drive round the back across the pedestrianised area through a gate which was remote controlled.would take a while to get car in the garage,i had to get out as the car ould barely fit in.close garage doors and take all our stuff in.think we had every thing bar the kitchen sink.unpack and we always brought a bit of food,you know bacon eggs etc s…
so I would do us both a fry up.you know bacon,sausage beans tomatoes couple slices of toast and a brew.although Jayne would have a glass of wine.wouldnt be going out until next day.and we needed the food after the long drive down.spending time together was great loved being with my baby Jayne.i know most people go abroad ,Jayne did to she had several holidays abroad with friends in our early years,and I didn’t stop Jayne going abroad[I wanted every second to be with Jayne but wouldn’t beg her it had be Jaynes choice]Jayne wanted be with me and from now on were always holidayed together.and I was very happy with Jaynes decision.like most on here I envisaged years and years to come well into pension age.nothing could prepare me for what was going to happen.or the emotions I would go through.if id had to give anybody advice when you know you’ve found your soulmate,get married and do everything you think of doing dont wait for tomorrow.you all know what I mean im sure.enjoy each other and make every day count.ive got more I wish id said done this that and the other than most and that will always be the case.
I was very lucky to of spent my lifetime with my dream girl.

4 Likes

Lovely memories Ian that will stay with you forever x

3 Likes

Lovely memories sounds like you both had lots of happy times in Brixham beautifully written xx

3 Likes

Dear Ian
Gary and I spent many a happy day in Brixham as we have a holiday apartment in Torbay. One of our favourite places in Brixham was down by the breakwater - we loved it as much in the winter as in the summer. Many a latte has been drunk overlooking the sea there.
I have been back three times in the last year - once with my son and twice with friends. It took me a long time to go back there - Gary loved it so much I did not think I would ever be able to go and thought I would sell it - but when I walked in and looked at the views I knew I would have to keep it - and I am so glad I did. But at the moment of course I cannot go there at all. We had plans to spend months down there when I retired - but like you and Jayne we did not get the opportunity to grow old together. So many plans that will never come to fruition. But as you say so many wonderful memories.
Were you ever in Brixham during Pirate festival - when everybody dressed as pirates ? And I mean everybody from 8 to 80 !! It really is a lovely part of the world. I am not sure if you know but there is a webcam you can view that looks over the breakwater and the harbour. You may find it interesting and hopefully will bring back some happy memories. http://www.camsecure.co.uk/Camsecure3/Brixham_Harbour.html - it is too dark to see now (apart from the fact it is pouring with rain) but it is very clear during the day. They are all round torbay and I don’t just look at them now but when we had not been down to Devon for a while. We will always wish we had done more - but if you were happy and loved each other that is some achievement. We were lucky to have found our soulmates - so many never do.
Take care
Trisha xx

2 Likes

thank you Trisha Steph and Alex
we was planned move to Brixham when retired,we didn’t go pirate week,
we did go to the ship a few times.pump street was across from the car park just to the back i think and not far from the market.were you could book go on a boat.which sadly we never did as Jayne got sea sick.but we loved the place,well suppose that obvious if youed planned end our lives living their.sadly that wont be.infact we had planned when Jayne reached 55 to maybe move then and Jayne travel to work from Brixham,all pipe dreams now.was nice walking around at night ,when I didn’t fancy cooking I would nip to one of the many great chippies.
but mostly we just spent time together,as ive mentioned a few times Jayne worked away from home,and would have Jaynes dinner prepared for when she walked through the door from work on a Friday evening.so these holidays we treasured as was longest we had spent together since the first 8 years befiore the company Jayne worked for moved to Aylesbury and then later they moved to milton Keynes.we absolutely loved Brixham.
and loved going to Paignton and the zoo.we went all over devon luckily Jayne loved driving and was a great driver.will check the link laters as got go get a mower from my mum as the garden is looking like a jungle.
ps im very sure if we had ever been around or noticed from our little bubble of being entwined with each other,Jayne especially would of loved dressing up.i would of had to of joined begrudgingly lol but no we didn’t go .

1 Like

just want say thank you Trisha,ive been searching all night trying find the beach were occassionally whilst Jayne was sitting in her fav lounger reading id walk up the hill side and round a little pitch and put,id got goodrington in my empty skull,but found out this is the beach broadsands ,we would get ice creams in the little refreshment cabin,the little shed on the 4th picture is were the pitch and put is was a nice old man i had several chats
over the years,first picture is the beautiful view of the sea from the hillside.its brought back so many happy memories of times i spent with my baby Jayne.

(upload://djWuhUD0TdlNMJkliYbcZtbu6vZ.png)

3 Likes

Good morning Ian
Lovely photos - and Broadsands was our favourite too - we used to walk up the hill to the golf course and look out over the sea there - really beautiful spot. And the icecream from that little cafe by the beach was the best - Gary just loved the rum and raisin one. There is a a webcam there if you noticed it on the link. Looked at it first thing this morning with the sun coming up and not a soul around - truly beautiful. Waves just lapping at the shore - so calm. This time last year we had just set off to Devon - only for the car to break down about a mile from home - wretched thing was only a year old - it was just one of those Friday cars. Gary was so cross that our trip had been thwarted - but as it was his last weekend Hannah afterwards was so pleased we had had a cosy family weekend instead where we all sat together and as usual he was teasing her. I got rid of that car a few weeks after I lost Gary - I just could not trust it. Loved it but it was unreliable so no point in a unreliable car.
Did you ever do the walk along the cliff across the golf course to Elbery Cove - apparently Agatha Christie’s favourite beach - but only accessible by foot. We never made it - bit too far for Gary to walk . But we could see it across the Bay from our flat. Wonderful days and wonderful memories - but like you they make me so sad that there will be no more together. But I will continue to go there once the lockdown is over - those places are special places and I never thought I would be able to face them alone - and there may be some tears but he loved it so much I will take him with me.
Trisha

2 Likes

hi Trisha
ive been looking around,and the 2 times Jayne and me went to landscove holiday park,i would get my camcorder and go to the hillside which over looked the sea.and walk a what must of been close to a mile to the left which if id continued walking would of ended up at berry head,but didn’t get that far.then the next morning I walked the other way actually came quite a way from the sea going that way and ended up going over several stiles.
been trying get a view of the hillside over looking the hillside ,so I can see the 2 rocks in the sea and the one big rock at the side of those other 2 rocks,damn if id found the view could of shown it .but will continue looking,actually found a couple of pictures on my facebook page but ive lost the phone which had 100s on ,

love this picture of brixham ,would of been the place we would of retired to.as we absolutely loved the place.

1 Like

we used to go to Paignton loads of times,and always for the day.im just looking at this car park which we must of used loads of times,we looked for a space Jayne sat in the car as I got the ticket for the day,came back,got all the stuff out the boot,we had made a few buns and took a few bottles of drinks,we had Jaynes fav sun lounger,id carry most tings bars Jaynes kindle,i had put the car key etc in the pockets in my shorts.these are holidays that will live with me till I die or lose my marbles which ever comes first.

then occasionally we would have lunch or dinner in here.must of been in and eaten at least 20 odd times over the years.
I would sometimes nip in and waste a few pence whilst Jayne sat below,we loved this place,we learned not to sit to close to the places selling fresh food as the seagulls were a nightmare,even witnessed a little child having an ice cream snatched from his grasp…
the weather was way better than this picture portrays.

1 Like

We went to Paignton on a coach trip in 1980, whilst we were there we went on the bus to Brixham, we loved it. Unfortunately I damaged my spine before we had the chance to return, at least we spent some time there. x

1 Like

hi Mary
Paignton and Brixham are wonderful places,sorry your health as made it so you were unable to visit there again.we loved it.im just looking on google earth and google maps searching
Devon to try find pictures of places Jayne and me visited.As Jayne loved driving and seeking out new little villages and beach sites.we went to so many in Devon over the years
I know we used go up to an hour and a half out of our way to look at new places.
regards ian

1 Like

Dear Mary
I so admire how you deal with your disability. Gary and I loved all that part of south Devon. Our first ever holiday together we took our little vauxhall chevette (I did the driving always !) with a boot that flew open every time we hit a bump - and drove all round devon and cornwall. I found the photos the other day and we looked so young. In some ways it seems like yesterday and in others it is lifetime. But I suppose that is what it is like for all of us.
Take care
Trisha xx

1 Like

taken by my baby Jayne in 2011 me and our nephew Michael.

4 Likes

Lovely photo Ian x

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply, Ian and thank you for sharing such a lovely photo.
My best wishes,
Mary

Thank you, Ian.

1 Like

Thank you, TrishaF, it is either muck or nettles, as we say in Yorkshire. :grinning: I did not want to alienate anyone (my surgeon’s advice) I had a face like a wet hen,for a while, I was so cross when I had to retire.

1 Like

thank you Steph and Mary.

1 Like

A very wise adage Mary. x

1 Like

Dear TrishaF,
I do understand what you are saying and thank you.

Devon and Cornwall are beautiful counties, we went to Torquay in 1958 and Ilfracombe it was a 2 centre holiday. Stan’s granny ( a tyrant of a woman as did his aunt, who turned out to be his mother ) We never went anywhere without a fierce chaperone, usually 2 fierce chaperones. :angry: I never told my mum that there wasn’t any need to pack my chastity belt. :laughing:

2 Likes