Missing my husband so much

My husband was diagnosed with cancer in early 2022, when we were making plans to resume our globetrotting life after lockdown. I was very angry that the previous 2 year had been ‘stolen’ from us, as unknown to us at the time they were the last two years that we would have been able to travel, if not for lockdown. A few weeks before my husband died, we were talking about it and it dawned on me that it had been a practice run for dealing with the way our lives had changed since his diagnosis - enjoying quiet time together, taking pleasure in little things like our daily walks, sitting in the garden, and the odd day out when allowed. If those 2 years had been ‘normal’ we would have been holidaying and scuba diving in far flung places a couple of times a year and spending the whole of each September driving around France, as we’d been doing for years. I think the sudden loss of that, on top of his diagnosis, would have been dreadful, so I’ve come to see lockdown as a blessing in disguise, which gave us precious time together to reflect and appreciate what we had.

1 Like