Multiple losses

Dec 2020 I lost my best friend of 18 years to COVID, at age 29 you dont really expect it but it happened and it was like someone knocked the wind out of me, 6 weeks later my grandma passed with COVID, two funerals, I can’t even describe what it was like, my head was just on another planet. In January 2022 my auntie was diagnosed with brain cancer she was like a second mum to me and was given 12 months to live and she followed the exact timeline and passed January 2023.

I’m having regular counselling but I wanted to write this here because I feel like I can’t relate to my friends and family and it feels quite lonely. They lost one person in the time I lost 3, and it’s in no way a competition and I don’t want to compare grief but there’s just some type of darkness that comes with losing that much in a short space of time. Maybe others who have been through similar might want to chat or talk about it? I’m thinking it might help me heal to relate to others who have gone though similar.

3 Likes

Hello @Angekin ,

I’m part of the Online Community team and I can see that you are new to the community - I’d like to thank you for bravely starting this thread and sharing how you are feeling completely overwhelmed by your grief. I’m so sorry to hear about all your losses. Most community members have sadly experienced the death of a loved one and so will understand some of what you are going through.

I’m sure someone will be along to offer their support, but I wanted to share a few Sue Ryder resources with you that might be helpful.

I really hope you find the community helpful and a good source of support and I also hope you feel you can access more support should you need it.

Thank you again for sharing – please keep reaching out and know that you are not alone.

Take care,
Alex

1 Like

Hi

I lost my mum to covid in 2021.
My Dad then choked to death in 2022
At the end of the same year my youngest brother tried to kill himself in front of me and my other brother suffered a stroke.
In June this year, just as the first anniversary of the loss of my Dad was approaching, I got called to hospital to sit with my cousin while her Mum, my Aunt died.

Its like being hit by a bus over and over.

You get up then fall again.

Its not a competition.

Its horrible.

I dont know anyone thats had any losses like this and its lonely

I know how you feel 2022 till now has been a big black hole for me i lost my dad in april 2022 then my best mate then a lady i looked afyer for 7yrs. Thought 2022 was done and dusted dealing with 1st time immediate family grief then boom my dog passed away and then my mum very suddenly. She passed 1yr 1month and 1 day from my dad just now im still in survival mode iv witjdrawn from people around me as they just dont understand the depth of my grief

Its so lonely isnt it when they all occur like that.
I feel your pain xxxx

1 Like