Never lived on my own in 60 years

Hi Misfit I am also 60 and went from living with my family of 6 ( including my grandfather) to living with my husband. This is the first time I have lived on my own and I hate it all, the silence, dinner for one, no one to make me a cup of tea, no one to help me lift a heavy object, no one sharing the crossword puzzle, or to discuss programmes or the news. Quite often my husband would be upstairs model making and I would be watching tv downstairs but I could hear him moving about and then he would join me. Now there is silence
It is unbearable.
Take care xx

6 Likes

I haven’t heard from you for a while,how are you?xx

So this week has not been a good week as it was 1 year since Clive died. Friends and family remembered and I had some nice messages and flowers. I wanted to spend the day alone so had a lovely walk with the dog and in the evening my family took me out for dinner. It sounds unkind but I really didn’t enjoy it and just wanted to go home but I didn’t want to upset them. I had to listen to them talking about their holiday plans, their forthcoming weddings and how busy they are with lots of social events. I have no plans and cannot see what my future holds. I’m keeping busy and seeing friends and am involved with a local charity but this widowhood is rubbish and lonely. Do others on this forum feel the same way?

3 Likes

Absolutely nearly 9 months for me since Carole died I’m in limbo, no idea how to move forward with this new rubbish life of ours.
Stay safe john

2 Likes

I feel the same. Our daughter took me to see the venue where she wants to get married. I tried really hard to be positive and was grateful to be included but all I could think was that her father would not be there for the wedding. I really don’t want to spoil things for anyone else but it’s so hard not to break down in tears. Anniversaries are particularly hard.

3 Likes

I like to meet friends and go out, but after a short while I’ve had enough I want to go home. It is rubbish.
Seeing other couples smiling and happy make me sad when I think that will never be me again. X

2 Likes

Summer will be the worst season for me.Malcolm used to spend many hours gardening.When we moved here almost forty years ago there were no plants at all and we bought flowers,plants,shrubs and fruit trees and gradually mature into a beautiful space.I know all the names and the garden was a haven for us.
Seeing couples and young children all together and happy making plans for holidays and trips out.
I keep thinking how much my life has changed,there is no joy anymore.I wouldn’t want to take myself out for a meal alone and I don’t have him to plan holidays.
Even at a supermarket there are couples deciding what to buy.
There are so many x

3 Likes

I can’t ever see me going on holiday again on my own. People that know me think I confident but underneath I’m not and Doug knew that better than anyone. I suffer from vertigo and the thought of it happening if I went away on my own just sends me into a panic now just thinking about it.
I am going away with my daughter and family this summer we are going back to the place where Doug’s ashes are scattered. So much has changed for us all. X

3 Likes

I feel the same Pushkin28. Dreading summer when people are out and about with their partners and families. I try to go walks with my dog to places I won’t see meet people. I hate Sundays the most

2 Likes

It makes me feel so envious,I would never say jealous but it makes us wish we could turn back the clock and feel happy and really loved again.x

1 Like

Hi .it makes me feel sad when I see couples .knowing that I will never have that closeness ever again. My perfect life ended the day my hubby died . And now I am just living waiting to die .xtake carex

6 Likes

Hi Broken,
I’m sorry to say I often feel like that,as soon as I start feeling like that I try to distract myself by just doing something…anything…I even count backwards from 100.
May sound a bit odd but it works until the next time.xx

3 Likes

That’s exactly how I feel …….
Julie x

3 Likes

i am on week 21 without my wife, just a constant heartache an feeling so sorry that she is no longer able to enjoy life with me.
Rebecca was in very poor health before she died an relied heavily on me her last few years ,just hope she is happy an pain free now if there is an afterlife.
i am glad she dos not have this heartache that we all have.
God bless you all. Bert

3 Likes

I have just completed my first solo holiday and Graham’s ashes being dropped into the sea. Graham loved going on a cruise holiday I had so much anxiety doing this alone, life isn’t going to be the same for us and although I struggle each day I’m starting anew chapter I make sure I write down a reason to get up each day and I’ve added to that a positive thought for the day, like today is sunny Graham would love today I’m going to live it for him. I just wish it worked all the time but I think its helping me. I picture Graham smiling watching over me giving me encouragement .

4 Likes

Well done Griff, Graham would be proud on what you have achieved this week. What special memories you have made with scattering his ashes at sea in a place special to both of you. You have made a step forward with Graham watching over you. One step at a time.
Debbie X

1 Like

Thanks Debbie, I think life is going to be that little bit harder always now without my wing man.

2 Likes