Second year blues...

Good morning Chrissy

Many thanks for your email message I can’t really explain but it is great joy
when I receive your messages, from a person who has had the same heart ache as we have had.

It is a lovely place Wales, when I was a young lad I always wanted to be a farmer and was very lucky through a friend to get a job in Mid Wales, a place called Welshpool, after a couple of years Her Majesty had other ideas and unfortunately I had to go in the Armed Forces, then because she liked me so much she decided to send me to Germany and then for two and a half in the Middle East Iraq and Jordan, well as I have said it is a lovely place Wales.

Unfortunately Patricia and I never went up Snowdonia again lovely Countryside around.

Patricia and I use to like walking so at every opportunity I go for a walk (subject to weather) I am so lucky in that I live close to a couple of beaches so it is ideal for walking across the sand. As I have C O P D walking is again ideal.

I am new to cleaning and polishing because Patricia would not me do it, I didn’t have that skill, oh I did clean the windows inside and outside.

It is a nice day down here so after lunch I will put on my walking shoes and go for a nice walk.

Are you Chrissy taking good care of yourself like sleeping and eating a sound diet remember good people are in short supply.

Again that’s all for now if I don’t hear from you before your trip to Snowdonia, enjoyed yourself with your sister and take care on the walking.

Good day and God bless you.
Bryan

Good morning Sandy

It is a joy to receive your email messages, yes Sandy 50 years is a long time to be with your one and only true love, and my time is the same as yours and I consider myself to be born very lucky and have had a true love a sincere deep friendship, as you will know it is difficult to explain.

In the last days before Patricia went to heaven she made promise, which I have to keep to look after myself, take good care of the bungalow with cleaning and polishing which gives me something to aim for and at the same time keep my mind active and not have any not so good moments.

As you say Sandy Winter is a very bad time for us with the cold and dark long nights, however one must keep active in this period so take good care of yourself in the manner in which your Phi would want because always remember are love ones are with us 24 hours a day.

That’s all for now Sandy just going for dinner then a nice long walk this afternoon and have a chat with Patricia, hope I have not been to morbid???
Brya…

Hi Bryan,
No not being morbid
On the contrary, you very positive, keeping busy and carrying on just like Patricia would have wanted you to. Most importantly you keep talking to her. I speak to Phil all the time about anything and everything . When I’m really upset I ask him where he is and that’s when I sense he is with me,
Take care, enjoy your walk,
Sandra

Good morning Bryan.
Yes Wales is a lovely place, unfortunately we were to far from Snowdon but enjoyed the 4 days anyway, the weather was kind to us and I managed to walk for two of the four days, rest was raining.

My Barrie was posted to Germany in the REEME, he enjoyed it very much, I didn’t know him at the time, but I have many photos of him repairing tanks etc. He thoroughly enjoyed his life and my only thankfulness is he did achieved everything he wanted to.

I think your lovely Patricia would have loved walking in Wales, but being able to walk along the beach is also very relaxing.

I am at present trying to decorate my lounge it is one thing I like doing and it keeps me active a bit of DIY.

I think you and Patricia must have gone together very well. You take care of yourself and the Bungalow. Talk again soon.

Kind regards Chrissy

Dear Mrs Plummer, I can totally relate to what you said about the weekends , I newly bereaved my husband only died 3 months ago and and I am struggling he was my rock, friend and lover for 20 years I have seen certain things just after he died and I was always one that was very sceptical but not now I know what I saw and I have ordered the book you recommended , I am just trying to live my life and be happy but I don’t think I ever will be. Xx

Good afternoon Chrissy

Many thanks for your message it would appear that you had 4 reasonable days in Wales, except for that old fashioned rain, were would be without the rain ???

If I may enquire is Chrissy short for Christine???, being a bit nosey.

Yes Chrissy, life with Patricia was fantastic, some days I am lost of what to do next,
I did have to think about meals, she appeared to have that knack on our life together.

A short distance away there is a beach bench were we would go and look out to sea, so on the sunshine days here I go and sit there with a flask of coffee, and wait for the sea gulls to dive bomb.

We must consider ourselves very lucky to have found our true friend and partner, when I see other people around me who have problems, I think there for the grace of God go I, it is difficult to understand.
Well that’s all for now Chrissy, take care and look after yourself.
Bryan

Good morning Bryan.

And a lovely one it is to the sun is shining, and we have an extra hour in bed.

Yes Chrissy is short for Christine but not many people use that.

You are right about being blessed we did have wonderful partners and we will never forget the good times and bad times we had, they will be in our hearts forever.

I shall think of you today sitting on the bench with your coffee and hope the seagulls leave you alone they can make quite a mess.

Take care of yourself and keep putting one foot in front of the last one.

Many thanks for your reply

Regards Chrissy

Hi all,
My husband died four and a half years ago. A single, unexpected, massive heart attack. He was 48, I was 47. What follows is my experience of the journey so far…

Year one: mostly numb, interspersed with complete meltdowns, I avoided music with lyrics because they can mug your thoughts unexpectedly, choosing instrumental pieces instead. Friends were supportive but they know I’m a self control freak so they weren’t intrusive. I also avoided alcohol completely for about three months… I didnt trust myself to hold it together if I drank. Counselling sessions between months 2 and 10 helped. I discovered that calendars hold emotional trigger points… birthdays, wedding anniversary, bl**dy Christmas.

Year two: The worst trigger point of all. The anniversary of the day he died. I did (and still do) make sure not to be at work that day. I know a meltdown is inevitable so I keep my own company and let it come. Support is thinner on the ground from friends… the person who died was not an intrinsic part of their lives and they move on more easily. That is, I’m afraid, the way it is. With the dwindling support and that thawing of the numbness comes the “what do I do now?”. During this second year I changed my job to something more challenging and rewarding. I also admitted to myself that there were things about being married that I hated (Mainly cooking… I’m actually a good cook but daily meal prep is tedious and expected…now I don’t have to do it) as well as the things I loved and miss. I also started dating someone. It lasted 6 months and in the process I learned a great deal about myself and my expectations.

Year three: Starting to get a better idea of who I am (me, as opposed to being half of a partnership). It still felt weird and as with everyone I did (and still do) have days where I curl up on the sofa and bawl my eyes out (now being a case in point but that’s because I’m writing about it). Sometimes we need to. Good days outnumber the bad ones. Discover the hardest part about flying solo (for me anyway) is not just that there’s no one to vent to when you’ve had a bad day, but that there’s no one to share a tale of a good day with either. I tell my cat instead.

Year four: Occasional bad days (usually calendar related). My premarriage personality (modified post bereavement) is pretty much reasserted.

Year five (in progress): Yes I still hate bl**dy Christmas only this year I’m hosting my husband’s family so cannot hide under the duvet for two or three days (not that I have… But I’ve always wanted to). Work keeps me (reasonably) sane. I make sure I have people free downtime (I fall at the introvert end of the personality scale) to recharge my batteries. I continue to put one foot in front of the other.

Sorry for the rambling post. Everyone is different, everyone’s experience of bereavement is different. This is mine so far.

I saw an explanation of grief that struck a chord: draw a circle. The circle is your life so far. Fill the circle with black scribble. That scribble is your grief at the point of bereavement. Draw another, larger circle around the original one. This is your life later. The grief is still there, but it no longer takes up your whole life. Time does most emphatically not heal all wounds (I remember angrily telling a well meaning friend that that particular platitude was utter rubbish) but it does allow us to move away from the period where the grief was all consuming.

Be well.
Firehorse

1 Like

An interesting and useful post, Firehorse.
At only 50 days into my journey I’m not looking forward to the misery still to come, but it’s as well to anticipate it.

Edwin I’m so sorry if I upset you. That wasn’t my intention. My experience was that there is no magic wand. I remember wanting to sleep through the first 12 months and wake up when I was feeling… not the way I felt when I made the wish.

It does get easier to deal with, I promise.

Nothing for you to apologize for. My appreciation of your post is quite sincere.

Good morning Chrissy

Many thanks for your lovely message, and your name, its a lovely name and in my humble opinion a pity to shorten it, there again putting my nose in.

I trust you are having a few reasonable days with your life in general (also the weather) it is a wonderful feeling to leave our beds and find that we are in for a good day. On the good days I find I have a more positive approach to the day and what ever future comes my way, in a song of years ago there were the words,
“little things mean a lot” , how true.

Yes it is nice for that extra one hour in bed, however as I don’t enjoy bed at the best of times, always been the same, I like short periods, say 3 hours, get up for 2
then another 2/3 hours. It goes back many years, even as a youngster, not complaining, as I may have said I have had a fantastic life to date.

I don’t know about you but my mind tends to wander from time to time as to why we are in this situation, silly but true.

Quite a misty day down here today so NO WALKING, well Chrissy that’s all for now looking forward to next message, if I have not been to morbid, don’t wish to upset.
Good afternoon and take care of yourself
Bryan

Hi Veda, brain fog seems to be part of this dreadful process .I always considered myself an intelligent coping person but since my Peter died 14 weeks ago I am in a fog, walking in treacle and apprehensive about things that would not even required thought. It is so true that only those who have had this loss can understand how we feel. I say life has no joy or point at the moment. What can we do but go on as best we can .xx

A very good report thank you. I’ve got a long way to go.

It is like being in a fog Toria. Also, on top of all the grief & loneliness I find things keep going wrong. I got bitten by a dog today. Not badly but it’s wrecked my going out tonight. I hardly go anywhere. I have no joy whatsoever.

Good morning Bryan
Not a good one all round, one of those times when everything seems to close in on you and yes I wonder why we are in this situation, not silly just life!!!

My mother used to call me Christine when I was naughty (quite often) so that’s why I like Chrissy also Barrie always called me that.

Yes in general I have good days and seem to sleep quite well most nights.

I think the weather doesn’t help our moods. Listen to me going on, don’t mean to be morbid either but we have a right to feel like it sometimes, we are the only ones who understand fully our feelings.

Tomorrow is another day and take care of yourself Bryan,
Kind regards
Chrissy

Good morning Chrissy
Many thanks for your message and the name. I was thinking the other day that on reflection I was a bit to nosey on the name question, sorry.

Well not a bad day down here, the sun is shining and it is dry.

You know I don’t mean to go into time gone by, but I do, Patricia went to heaven on
24 April 2016 and there are times when I sitting down with a cup of I think of the day and time when It took place. I may have before that there is saying that time heals all wounds unfortunately so far that has not happened. Without being morbid
because when two people have both share what we had in our life.

I have never done more thinking in my life as I have in the last two and a half years of little events, they just seem normal and yet now on reflection I see the total togetherness we had, simple events, meal times, saying goodnight/good morning ,
holding hands without reason. I may have said there is part of a song which says
“little things mean a LOT”, sometimes I do go on, like now.

Well Chrissy that’s all for now hope I have not made your day sad, what we had was a FANTASTIC world of 100% togetherness. Good day and God bless just going to put the washing out and sit down have a coffee and more likely reflect.
Bryan

Good morning Bryan

I know what you mean about missing our partners as time goes by we accept this but the heartache never goes away, Like you say little things suddenly hit you out of the blue and all the heartache returns. Mr Barrie passed away 17 January 2016. We lived in Spain at the time, but he was happy and his son was with him also.

I have good days more often now and the memories are still strong but I reflect on them. Lets hope they are sharing their memories with others now and are happy.

Not a good day today but winter is here and soon Christmas. I hope you have a good one Bryan, light a little candle for Patricia I do for Barrie and toast him on Christmas day.

Sorry if I have also gone on a bit but I am sure you understand as I do,

Best wishes and kind regards
Chrissy

Dear Sheila, I know what you mean about the grieving. Now that I have nearly all the jobs done that we had planned, I feel as if Ive come to a grinding halt. I,m crying all the time now, the longing for Phil has intensified and I feel as if Im losing the battle. My daughter suggested we go to watch Bohemium Rhapsody . It is an amaziing film. I loved Queen, but I was just crying all the way through, trying to keep quiet. Theres a song he wrote early on called love of my life which I had never heard before. That set me off . Its a beautiful song. I am near to tears all of the time
Still angry that we’ve been parted so soon. Christmas is an ordeal Im sorting thimgs to get them over with. I need to go for a medication review I only take thyroxine. so was up calling doctors . Took half an hour to get through. Then was told no appointments til tommorow. After psyching myself up to go out. Hate to on my own. So was in a heap again. I know I will pick myself up and carry on because I have to. This is your worst nifhtmare and nobody knows the agony until it happems to them. Sorry for the rant,
Love Sandra xx

Hi Sheila. I went to see that film. It’s not an uplifting film for people who are okay but for us it’s much worse. What a sad life Freddy Mercury had. Not having family or friends in one’s life does have its advantages if you can call them that. I shall be doing nothing for Christmas apart from thinking about my Savour’s birth. He’s the One who is looking after my husband.