shock

Hi Cheryl, agree about the films and in some cases the adverts. I tried the TV yesterday and after trying nine channels all on the adverts I gave up. I also like a good film, something to cheer me up and I don’t mind the oldies. My grandson put me on Netflix and this has been good for me, I can watch what I’m in the mood for. I have found a series that really is therapeutic for me and I followed it for 12 series and then it ended so I went back to the beginning again!!!. This programme has a good effect on me
Pat.

HUH!!! TV!!! Fat chance!!! ‘John Wayne day’, ‘Four feathers’, ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’. (That must have been on hundreds of times!!!). ‘She wore a Yellow Ribbon’. Now there’s one I bet few have seen!! ‘Apache’. Wow! What more treats could we want. !!!:roll_eyes::face_with_hand_over_mouth:
May I take this opportunity to wish all my friends and helpers on here the best Christmas as you can manage. I have been so helped by everyone over the past year, and the compassion shown has been really heart warming. For some it will be a real heartache, for others, maybe, a little lighter and with good memories. To those new to grief it may not be good, not good at all. Do the best you can, take care and look after yourselves. Try not to look to the future or anticipate. Take is slowly.
Next week is a New Year. A new beginning. Hopefully, we may begin to see a little light in the darkness. It is getting brighter for me. Just a bit but it’s there. Hope is there. My goodness though, it really is hard at times.
Blessings and love to all. May everyone find just a little relief, just a tiny bit, and even that can help.

2 Likes

Hi pat,
Yes, we have netflix as well but I do find some of their documentaries drag on and could fit into one or two episodes rather than 12!
I hope you have an ok Christmas. I always said it wasnt the day itself that I was dreading but the run up to it and luckily that is coming to an end.
Cheryl x

Hi Jonathan,

I hope so. Wishing you a pleasant time, if different from what we are all used to.
Cheryl x

I’ve never tried netflix, but I use amazon prime video. It has can be poor at times and I tend not to use it that much. I suppose I do get some value out of it.
Wishing everyone a peaceful and restful Christmas. x

For anyone who is interested,My Fair Lady on Channel 5 at 2.55.My favourite musical.The TV ads should stop about 5 pm hopefully.

1 Like

Ah fabulous Jill. X

And a Christmas Carol at 1pm. The original one.

Hi everyone, can’t beat those oldies (films I’m talking about) Love a good musical. Always wanted to be a dancer and dance with Fred Astaire, Fat chance !!!
Pat

1 Like

its strange how you do things just automatically im refusing to think past the minute just looking at the now,i go to bed i do not look to my left where he slept i just lie down, i get up and leave the room sometimes i dont even stop to open the curtains, i am just on like an auto pilot my job is retail ive not even tried to visit my job,i can hold a normal conversation and appear like all is well did you cry straight away or did it take time ? im starting to think this cant be right

Good old films Jonathan, at least we can understand them. When I was young I went to the pictures every Monday and Friday with my Mum and Dad (we never had TV then). Favourites were Cowboys and musicals so I became quite familiar with most of these classics. My Dad was a great fan of Bing and I wanted to dance like Fred Astaire my hero. (still is, what a dancer). My mother was always on the side of the Indians in the Cowboy films.
Happy memories
Pat xxx

I’ve always enjoyed a good western. My partner hates them.

I just watched My fair lady and sobbed all the way through.It was Mum and Dads favourite.I need something funny to watch but my sense of humour has left me!

I didn’t cry for at least 2 weeks.It’s the defence mechanism but 5 weeks on and if they made it an Olympic sport,I’d win gold for sure.I’m hoping its only for Christmas because I can’t go on like this

Oh Yeah Pat!
We had what was called a ‘Chums club’ where, for six pence (that dates it), we could watch westerns all day. The absence of violence, bad language and sex was only appreciated years after. It was all ‘acting’ and we knew it.
How it’s all changed. The old film censors would issue a certificate for a watching audience, and some films as kids we were not allowed to see, which made us more determined to see them. We sometimes managed to get in and could never see what the fuss was all about. Sweet innocence!! Trams, Trolleybuses, leaving doors unlocked when you went shopping, walking the streets safely at night. Oh well. Time passes, sadly.
I often wonder if us ‘older ones’ didn’t have the best of it.
Take care Pat. Love and a hug. XX

It made us the people we are,Jonathan and we survived to tell the tale!

We certainly did grow up in the best time. I remember those films A, B and C if I remember right. If those without parents with them wanted to go in they asked adults going in to take them in. I never did understand what they was asking for and why they just didn’t walk in. Saturday morning or afternoon matinee’s. We had two cinema’s in Birmingham that was a news theatre and a cartoon cinema and for a shilling you could sit there all day if you wanted. Anyone remember them??? Yes, no bad language, violence, drinking, just good honest fun and if a boy held your hand you was going steady. If you kissed you was engaged as simple as that. Ha Ha
Pat xxx

What about playground equipment?Mum and Dad were happy to let me play on it.How I never had any broken bones I’ll never know but I remember constantly grazed knees.Mum said I should have been a boy!

Oh yes. And when in our early teens we used to sit in the back row with a girl, if we got the chance. I often wonder why we couldn’t see, at the time, how lucky we were. But that’s how it goes. Even now, with all the upheaval in our lives, why didn’t we appreciate everything more? Including our loved ones. I know I played up as a lad and my poor mum almost gave up on me at times. What a little shocker I must have been.
Girls were a complete mystery. Some were frightening!! Well that changed I’m glad to say. It is good to look back occasionally but the danger is, and we see this in so many older people, we mustn’t live there.

Yes Jill. No looking over your shoulder to see if any strange characters were about. Us kids went out to play alone or with friends and on good days only came back for meals. Ho Hum!!!
Well, we know now and that has to make us better people. You are so right Jill, it has made us what we are.
Love and Blessings.

It was the same for us girls as well!I didn’t have my first kiss until I was 15!Remember like it was yesterday.In a park in the pouring rain under my umbrella.