Should I stop wearing my wedding and engagement rings?

I lost my Husband December 2017, have struggled to get back to where I am now (which is a good place now), but should I stop wearing my wedding and engagement rings? I don’t feel I want to, but as a widow, should I still be wearing them?

4 Likes

Hi
Sorry for your loss. 15 months for me personally I would never remove my rings. We are all different only you can decide this.
X

7 Likes

Hi @Sad2017,
I’m sure you will get lots of feedback on this subject, so I thought I’d add my contribution for what it’s worth.

I think it’s very much a personal choice whether or not to wear your wedding and engagement rings. Do what you feel is right and comfortable for you, irrespective of what other people might say or think.

Personally, I always wear my wedding ring, more so since my wife passed than I used to (because of fingers swelling, ring too tight, etc). Wearing it makes me feel closer to my wife and that I’m honouring her. At the end of the day, we are still husband and wife, despite the fact that my wife is no longer with me physically, and I`m still proud of that fact. To me, this is just a temporary parting before I join her when my time comes.

I did try to also wear my wife’s wedding ring but it didn’t fit on any of my fingers, so instead I wear her ring on a neck chain she bought me years ago on a trip to Edinburgh. Both rings are engraved with the date of our marriage and our pet names for each other. I kiss both rings first thing in the morning and last thing at night whilst I talk to her. Sad, perhaps, but does it make me feel any better? Yes it does, and to me, that is all that matters.

19 Likes

I would say like the others - you do what is right for you. Everyone is different and you need to do what you feel is best. I still wear my rings and my husband’s wedding rings entwines with mine - which is nice. Whether I will always wear them I don’t know but for now it feels right.

3 Likes

I would say do what u feel you want to do. If u want to wear them wear them, if you dont want to wear them then take them off.
I reckon theres no right or wrong answer to it all. One thing will never change which is sad that you are a widow so its ur choice what is best for you. Not sure if this helps but hope it does.

3 Likes

15 months, I feel for you, that’s still so soon, I promise it will, well not get better but it will get easier

3 Likes

Thanks, sounds like you loved your wife very much, I agree, I think, it’s very much about how tou feel

3 Likes

Thank you, I think you’re probably right

2 Likes

Thanks Jules4, I thnk you’re right

1 Like

Sorry for your loss. The answer to your question in my opinion is DEFINITELY NO you have evey right to wear them and in doing so they are a source of comfort

3 Likes

I am seeing someone new recently. It is three years since my darling husband died. I cannot even think about removing my wedding ring and I also wear my husband’s wedding ring on the same hand. It gives me comfort and my husband is still my husband.

2 Likes

Hello I lost my husband 6 months ago and I am and always will wear my rings, but it is up to you, alot of people I know have taken their rings off and keep them safe. I am still married, I have things that we planned to do, that I will still do. Take care x

4 Likes

Hi All
I lost my wife 10 months ago, I wear both rings with pride. Her ring is on my little finger on the left of mine, she will always be on my left the same as the day we were married, on my left. I also have a lock of her hair in a little glass tube around my neck. They both give me comfort. But it all depends on the wearer, it’s a personal choice. What ever gives you peace at the end of the day. Don’t worry about what people might think, it’s all about what you want to do.

4 Likes

You do whatever makes you comfortable, it’s for you alone to decide. I wear my husband’s wedding ring on the third finger of my right hand.

Absolutely not, he is still your husband only now he has wings​:blue_heart::broken_heart:

1 Like

Do whatever feels right for you.

John died just over 6 months ago. I wasn’t wearing my wedding ring at the time because of weight fluctuations and it would feel odd for me to wear it on my finger now but I put both our wedding rings on a chain round my neck (as close as possible to my heart!)

1 Like

Yep JojoGt I agree. For me, it’s a badge of honour. But circumstances change over time, so at some point the wearer might feel the need to reconsider, but when it’s ready and right. They might decide to get them merged and formed into something else, who knows, as you say, it’s up to the individual.

1 Like

I lost my hubby feb 2018 but I like to wear my rings but only u can make that choice I still believe I’m married

3 Likes

I only lost my husband 5 months ago. I wear my husbands wedding ring as well as my own. Do not think I could bare to take them off. But it is still early days for me.

You have to do what you think is right for you. Whatever you decide will be the right decision for you.

Dont beat yourself up. Only you know what is right for you.

1 Like

Dear Sad17, So sorry for your loss. I have been widowed 3 years, and have no intention of removing my Wedding and Engagement rings whatsoever. There is no rule saying whether you have to remove or wear your rings just because you are widowed. The choice is purely yours. Continue to wear them if it comforts you. I know I would feel ‘lost’ if I was not wearing my rings. Wearing my rings gives me much pleasure, and brings back the happy memories of the excitement both my husband to be and I felt at the time we chose them. I also wear the ring my dear husband bought me for our Ruby Wedding Anniversary - 40 years. Sadly he died the year before we would have reached our 60th Wedding Anniversary, but I had 59 years with my beloved husband. As other people have said, it is up to you. Do what you feel most comfortable with. With my very best wishes to you. Deidre

3 Likes