Should I stop wearing my wedding and engagement rings?

So sorry for your loss. As everyone has already said, it’s up to you. I lost my husband in 2019 but have no intention of removing my wedding ring. I don’t wear his rings because I’m frightened of losing them. As someone has already said, I still feel like I am married.

It’s tough but you will get through it, but not over it.

Good luck and best wishes to you x

2 Likes

I will always wear my rings. I have worn them for 49 years when I married at 17. It is now 5 months Since my husband passed away but he will always be my husband.

3 Likes

I think that is your personal choice and no one would disagree with any decision you made. You were married when he died and unless you choose to marry again at a later point in your life, you are still being true to him x
I’m so sorry for your loss xx

4 Likes

I have mine on a chain ,it puts them near my heart, that’s where she will be always.

3 Likes

Ah Sad2017,

I lost my husband December 2018. As I hadn’t worn my original wedding ring for a few years (didn’t fit) he said he would buy me a new one for my birthday. Well, a week or two before my birthday he did just that (with me with him) and we were both ever so pleased on my birthday. Sadly, that same night he had to go into hospital and died four days later. I couldn’t possibly take it off (hopefully I will never have to) because it means so much to me. I haven’t got to a good place yet either. I imagine it would be strange for you not to wear your rings, and as you say, you want to keep wearing them. Please do - being a widow makes no difference…you loved him and he loved you :heart: :heart: :heart: xxx

3 Likes

Hi
I’m really sorry for your loss. I lost my wonderful husband 10 years ago and still wear my wedding and engagement rings. Personally it has never entered my head to take them off and reading yours and all the other posts has made me think about it and in my mind my rings are a visible symbol of my wonderful marriage and because I am a widow doesn’t change that. There is no right or wrong and it is very much a personal decision. You should not feel under pressure or be influenced to take them off if you don’t want to, they are your rings and please don’t feel you are being judged if you decide to take them off. We are all thinking of you and know you will come to a decision that is right for you xxx

2 Likes

I lost my husband a year ago and yes I still wear my wedding ring, I shall always be married to him. We had his wedding ring made into two rings, one I wear and my daughter has the other one.

I think you do what you feel us best for you, no rights and wrongs here. I get comfort from them. Xxx

2 Likes

I lost my husband January 2020 and I still wear mine.

2 Likes

Like everyone else it’s what makes you feel comfortable, nobody can say what is right for you.
I haven’t had my rings off since they were put on in 1971 when we got married, but I cannot see a time when I won’t wear them but who knows it’s only 15 months since I lost my husband.

I think it’s entirely your choice and you should do whatever you feel is right. Personally, I will always wear my rings. I can never forget how proud David was when I first wore my engagement ring. When we married David became my husband and even though he died 3 months ago he will always be my husband and I will always be proud to be his wife. Do whatever you feel comfortable with x

1 Like

Hi Angiejo2,
Its been 3 years for me too. My husband was my best friend and soulmate.
We’re still married and I will always wear my rings.
I still miss him more than I can put into words and something still makes me cry every day.
I’m trying to move forward, and keep myself as busy as I can, but I talk to him all day and every day.
I feel his presence especially at night.
Love is eternal.

6 Likes

Hi, our rings are worn on a chain, Shells rings were way too small for my finger.her ashes, are pride of place in living room, say bye when I leave for work, hello when I get in. One of our songs was eternity. So true . Best wishes, stay strong. X

1 Like

Hi Sandra_S,

It is almost 2 years and 8 months since my husband died. I miss him more and more each day and yes, something makes me cry every day. Yesterday, after a long investigation into my husband’s pension, I found out that he had been miss-sold his pension, and the money stopped upon his death. He always said that I would be fine moneywise, should anything happen to him. This has brought me right down again, not for the money (though I could do with it, state pension is ok but not the best) but because he always believed that he had left everything sorted. So today, I am so very sad and the tears are tripping me up most of the time. I too try to keep busy, but he is in my head always and I sometimes wish there was a switch I could turn off for a while. I think I will be sad forever :pensive: :broken_heart: xx

2 Likes

Hi Sandra and Christine, I too am just into my second year since I lost my husband and keep wondering when and if I will ever be happy as such again.

I feel for you Sandra with his passing and thinking he had left everything sorted for you. He would be so upset for you, am sure.

I cannot believe I am still waiting for the Inquest and so many unanswered questions. My husband didn’t have Covid but because of Covid and his sudden death in hospital I couldn’t be with him or say goodbye!

I have worn my wedding ring for 42 years and will continue to do so in his memory and all the memories I have of him. Yes like you two, lots of tears, I don’t know where the come from.

We all carry on in a new life we didn’t ask for, good days and bad!

Xxx

1 Like

Hi Christine,
Yes three years last week for me.
Still wonder how I can carry on without him.
I also didn’t say goodbye. He was ill with blood cancer and took ill one day. Couldnt get out of the car.
He went onto have a stroke and died four days later in icu.
Had I known what was happening I would have said goodbye while he was still conscious.
Sat with him for the four days , still hoping he would wake up.
It wasn’t to be and after he died, the hardest thing I have ever had to do was walk away and leave him there.
We had been together for 49 years and done everything together.
I consoled myself by knowing he wasn’t suffering anymore.

Now I have so many wonderful memories of our life together. We married very young.

Sandra xx

1 Like

Hi Lesley18

Money is another factor of our loss.
When my husband died I had stopped work to care for him, so once the carers allowance stopped .
I was still under pension age so once carers allowance had stopped I had no income.
With the new state pension you can’t inherit any of your husbands pension.

He had worked all his life for that pension and now the government took it.

If it hadn’t been for a good insurance policy he had taken out, I would have had to go back out to work.

I still had to wait 4 months for that.

I’m now retired on my own. We downsized our home ready for retirement with lots planned.
Then he got cancer and 7 months later he was gone,
I think that’s why I have dealt with a lot of anger as well.
Life seems so unfair, he was only 65.
:rage::cry::sob:

PeteE59
Hi Pete,
I scattered his ashes in all the places we loved to go.
We were always out somewhere he hated being indoors soI knew he’d want to be out there.

I speak to him all day, every day. Tell him where I’m going, but I know he’s with me wherever I go anyway.

I wear some of his ashes in a pendant round my neck, never take it off.
I also have a lock of his hair in a bracelet.

He was romantic and affectionate.
Miss him so much.
Sandra S X

3 Likes

Dear Sandra

I received a letter today to inform me that when I reach pensionable age I will be able to inherit part of my husband’s state pension. Its not much £13 of the £155 projected he would receive. As you say Government or private pension companies hold onto the money. It is an insult to our husband’s hard work.

1 Like

Hi Sheila 26

That explains the small extra amount I get. They said its protected payment.
It’s a tiny amount of what they worked hard for.
I’ve already had to wait six years longer for my pension.

I remember him getting upset once when I was caring for him. He said you won’t be getting my pension.
I changed the subject quickly, he had enough to contend with.
Yet he must have been checking.

Sandra, can you check again over the pension contributions? My husband died in February and I had just retired. I was suprised when I received an extra £80 per month on my pension which was from his contributions. It may be worth looking into.