Solo holidays

I have got friends but I have family but not really that close
I’ve not got the confidence to go away on my own but I would love to just go away not to far but it wouldn’t be the same without Steve

1 Like

I have just come back from a solo trip to a Warner hotel that I used to go to regularly with my mum, this time I found it quite depressing as I kept thinking about mum and missing her being there. I seem to have better holidays when I go somewhere new that don’t bring back memories that I get sad over.

2 Likes

I agree, think we have to go to new places now and make new memories . I find going to places I went to with my loved one’s leaves me yearning for them and all too sad

2 Likes

I only want to do new places on my own, no.memorues then to makee cry. If i go to the same pkace we went to I need to do new thing’s .

1 Like

Pam 14
Yes I went alone overnight ten miles away to a Warner stay. It was a good plan.

3 Likes

Yeh somebody mentioned those to me ! Only problem is you cant take dogs and i have a dog !! X

1 Like

It would be something different to do but it’s getting there

1 Like

Look at coach holidays, they pick you up. My 90 year old neighbour has just gone solo to the isle of Wight on a coach holiday. Her husband passed away last October and she decided to book a holiday. If she can do it anyone can.

4 Likes

I loved my coach trip to Scotland. Met new people. Had good laughs. Going to different part of Scotland in April. Another coach trip

3 Likes

I’m having a coach holiday in September, I’m going to the Scottish borders and I’m really looking forward to it. I won’t be alone Rogers cousins wife will be coming with me. She’s been on her own for 15 years, so she does understand what Im going through.

2 Likes

I used to worry about going back to the same place Penny and I used to go on holiday. We spent many happy holidays in Northumberland and Anglesey, so last year I went back to Anglesey and really enjoyed visiting the same places, just making time to sit and recall all those happy memories, just talking to her about the last time we were there together.
Im currently in Northumberland doing exactly the same, and really enjoying it again.
I realised they are happy memories, why would I want to avoid them? I have a few emotional moments, but any tears were wrapped up in smiles.
The alternative, which I couldnt allow, was that our happy memories became things to fear.

5 Likes

Wise words I think, well done you.

2 Likes

Thats exactly how I feel @tykey. I went for a week in South Wales on my own. It was booked for the two of us, so i decided to go alone. The evenings were a bit lonely as it was a self catering holiday. During the day I had made a list of the things i wanted to do, and i chose something each day and went and did it. It worked well and I will do a similar thing again.

My attitude is that I have to find a way to enjoy things. I refuse to sit at home being sad about what I have now lost. I’m celebrating Jim by doing things I wouldnt have dreamt of doing if he were still by my side.

2 Likes

tykeyDo you know that really is a good way of looking at it, don’t let the happy memories become fears. I will heed your wise words. Must be the Yorkshire common sense LOL, I am a Yorkshire lass so I am biased.
Thank you

1 Like

Hi @penny6 . As part of my plan Im sat on the harbourside at Amble, having finished some wonderful fish and chips in the open air. The quality was just as good as Steeles in Cleethorpes.

@paeony . I know Ive talked to you before, and Im delighted your positivity is still working

Good luck to you both

1 Like

So am i … im a yorkshire lass too . I think any way we can ger through this is ok tbh … xx

2 Likes

Delish ! I live in Cleethorpes area, try the Leaking Boot fish n chips on your next visit they are lush, but Scarborough and Whitby do gorgeous ones …just a bit far to travel though. I originate from York and they always had nice ones.
Now I am feeling hungry !

2 Likes

Seems like a lot of us originated in Yorkshire. I am from Yeadon. Living ‘darn sarf’ now. I live in Luton, (well, somebody has to).
Only joking, I like living here. It’s a lot warmer for a start. Xx

2 Likes

Another Yorkshire lass here although not lived there for many a year!

2 Likes

@tykey we seem to have swapped places as I am in Sheffield this week, where we lived for over 20 years. I moved to Northumberland at the beginning of this year, which is what we had planned to do, and was her wish for me. Pete

1 Like