Sorting husbands clothes

10 months in started to sort through husbands clothing etc then the break down can’t do it feel like I’m erasing him totally I know at some point I will have too

8 Likes

Hi Kim , that’s not an easy job to do. My wife died 18 months ago and it was only last week I started packing her clothes . I got vacuum bags put a few things in to them and put the bags back in the bottom of the wardrobe. Haven’t done anymore since. Only do it when you can.
Mike

4 Likes

Hi thank you for replying so sorry for your loss I thought 10 months let’s start thank you I will give it more time

2 Likes

Hi Kim…its like a never ending list of heartbreaking moments when we lose those close to us …I still have lots of my late husbands clothes …but one thing I done was had his favourite clothes and colours made into a beautiful memory bear …just a thought when maybe you feel up to it …take care x

7 Likes

Hi sorry for your loss heart breaking the memory bear is a lovely idea I will look into this. Someone else also mentioned a blanket Mick probably had as many clothes as me he would say when I’m sorting don’t throw that away. Thank you

2 Likes

Hi, I’m comIng up to the 2nd anniversary & I don’t feel I want to move any of his clothes/coats/shoes etc… I can’t bring him back but for me by keeping his clothes I can feel part of him still here with me, so many of his clothes have a “memory” attached to them which gives me comfort.

9 Likes

Sorry for your loss. When i began sorting i kept thinking like you aww he loved that suit or that shirt ect i will leave it for another day when ever that will be. Thank you x

1 Like

I handled sorting out the clothes by giving them to a charity, Crisis at Christmas. I felt that the coats were going to a good cause. The children took things that fitted them, jumpers, jeans and belts. I only have a few bits left now but they are in a room that I don’t need to go in.

Thank you for all your replies very hard isn’t it. Sending love to all x wish we were not in this situation sorry for your loss x

2 Likes

My youngest son is really missing his Dad, I am having a favourite top made into a cuddle cushion for him, thought it might bring him some comfort.

6 Likes

Her clothes and make-up etc are where she left them, I really cannot face doing anything with them for the present, it’s too much of a step for me

D

6 Likes

I sorted my husbands clothes to go to a homeless charity just before Christmas. Mike just hated being cold and he would have been pleased that his clothes were keeping someone warm and snug. i kept a couple of his favourite shirts and jackets and a few other pieces. i hope he would have been pleased with my decision. Love and light. x

2 Likes

I havent gone into my husbands cupboard at all. Its been 4months for me. I tidied his shoes up downstairs and took his coats upstairs but that was mainly because gas engineer needed access. Ive not moved his cologne from bedroom and toileteries from bathroom, think both would look too bare without them. I feel like im slowly coming to terms with it.

3 Likes

So sorry for your loss . I start to do things but cant like you all his colognes etc are next to mine on the dressing table not even moved his tooth brush like to say it will look to bare so for now i am not moving anything. All stay safe xx

2 Likes

Hi guys, I found in the second week after the funeral of my beloved husband, my daughter and I cleared his clothes out, I don’t feel any sentimentality for his clothes because he never was bothered with what he wore, the only things that he loved were his football teams jackets, Barcelona and Arsenal. Our daughter kept a few pieces. I have not sorted his bits and pieces out and I know, when I do tackle it, it will upset me more. So everything can stay as it is, in the beside cabinet and various other places. So hard coming to terms with it all. I wish you all well and do the clearing when you feel ready for it, if not just leave it as it is. Its entirely up to how YOU feel. Love to all of you. Margarita :blush:

3 Likes

Hi
My hubby passed away 2 years ago. I can’t bring myself to throw anything out of his yet. I look at it and try to remember the last time I saw him wear it.
Even his work tools and shed is really bulging and need of a sort out. It’s entirely up to you - when and how.

I’m sure you’ll get the strength

Best Wishes

Kim

5 Likes

I still have most of Derek’s favourite clothes, some still have his lovely aftershave smell. A lot are still in cases because we had just moved when he passed away. We’d moved to a flat, which was our bolt hole, as we should have been moving to Spain. Obviously that didn’t happen. Last week there was a shout out locally for warm coats, boots & jeans for the homeless. I did manage to part with some of his big coats & boots and the fact they would be doing good helped. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to part with his T-shirts as there are a lot of memories in them, cricket tours, holidays & presents. I did have a memory bear made with some of his favourites. That sits in the living room on his chair.

5 Likes

Hi
Yes that’s another obstacle my husbands tools my shed is full of most of his things one day I will do it. Glad I’m not in my own with sorting
Take care x

2 Likes

Have you got anyone who can help you sort through the clothes and other things, don’t look at the task as closure, it won’t be
I shut myself into my sisters bedroom (as my brother in law couldn’t face it) and sorted everything out, but I had to do it in one lot, as it would have been to hard to keep going back to the task
Take care of yourself x

1 Like

I don’t do anything until I feel really ready, there’s no rush. I lost my second husband November 2019 and I think I will always keep some of his clothes, I only managed to throw his marmalade out last week.

3 Likes