Sorting husbands clothes

So sorry for your loss …this is such a hard journey for us all and I think we are all at different stages of the grieving process with different emotions when it comes to sorting clothes and all the other tasks we have to do after a bereavement.

I thankyou all for your support…sending you all hugs and also the strength to carry on and get through every day…just felt particularly low today.

Hilary

1 Like

Hi B
I put in a previous post that I met a lady down at the church not long after my husband passed away. She told me don’t let anyone say it gets easier because it doesn’t you just learn to live with it. I appreciated her honesty although thought it was a bit brutal at the time. I think it helped me not to expect too much of myself and not to think it should get easier if it doesn’t. As you say everyone’s journey is different there’s no right or wrong way of getting through.
In the 1st year I built up to anniversaries of things as I expected them to be bad and you don’t know what they’re going to be like, you haven’t been there before. Perhaps that’s what’s meant by the first being the worst.
Personally this 2nd year is worse already and I haven’t been through an anniversary but everyone else has moved on because they have there own lives and probably expect me to have too. I feel more alone now as I don’t share with people as much as I don’t want to be that person who is always sad. It’s everyday things for me more than anniversaries and I can’t see that getting any better.
I want to thank the lady who was brutally honest with me because I don’t feel like I’m failing in my journey and that when I learn to live with the grief that is a success.
Take care

4 Likes

Hi everyone, I’ve made a few edits to the last few posts in this thread and also removed a few that were getting off topic. Remember to be kind to one another and if there’s anything you read that’s upsetting, you can always report the post or send me a private message.

It’s really lovely to see you all supporting each other on this thread. Keep sharing with us how you’re all feeling, we’re here to support you through this :yellow_heart:

1 Like

That is beautiful decided to do this
Thank you x

2 Likes

I feel your pain. Everyone is different. I sorted my much loved husband’s clothes and personal belongings with the help of my adult children fairly quickly… I couldn’t bear to see his jackets shoes as soon as I opened the front door. His clothes, after I gave his parents what they wanted to have , went to a recycling centre and I’m sure it has been reused. I am struggling to cope with the loss of him but seeing all his clothes everywhere made it worse. I couldn’t do it on my own but had the support of loved ones with me it helped me to cope. all the best to you x

4 Likes

Hi Jodels712 I feel like I lost my husband on 30th of May last year. He was the first to go in my small street and 5 of us have lost our husbands. They have all got rid of there husbands things but I carnt. I have wood turning machines , rotovator , so many tools,and clothes.i move them to place to place but carnt get rid.it would be a few days work. He never parted with anything I used to call him step toe.we have 3 garages and the loft don’t say a word.
I will have to do it some time I know but not yet . Love to you all stay safe I carnt go out until March the 31 st I have not driven for nearly 5 months with braking my elbow.That worries me a bit . Florence xxxx​:heart_eyes::pray:t2::+1::mask:

1 Like

It’s 2 years since my dear husband passed away and all I have done is put some of his clothes in a suitcase. Can’t bring myself to do anything else at the moment. Similarly I kept all the cards we gave each other over the past 37 years for various occasions and will read them again soon. Take care. Sarah

1 Like

Hi sorry for your loss. Hard sorting anything I kept 36 years of cards from Mick I put one up on my birthday Christmas etc think I always will
Take care x

2 Likes

We had just downsized to a one bedroom flat because we were supposed to be retiring to our apartment in Spain. We’d got rid of all our cards before we moved because we had no storage, thinking we’d be sending plenty more :cry:. I feel so bad about that as although we never once looked at old cards, which is why we disposed of them, I wish I had them now to look at. The only one I’ve got is his first Valentine’s card after we were married which was too nice to throw away, and a Christmas card from just before he passed away that he’d bought but not got round to signing. I will always keep his favourite T-shirts, they hold many memories of travels etc.
Take care x

3 Likes

Hi sorry for your loss. Mick always said don’t throw the cards away 36 years of cards in a storage box when sorting the loft so heartbreaking. I start sorting then stop etc still not ready. Take care x

1 Like

Hi Kim5 My daughter made 21 little bears from my husband’s shirts, one for every one in the family including the great grandchildren , the youngest one was born a week after he passed away, then my step son asked for a couple of t-shirts that meant a lot to me and he had a big bear made for me, he didn’t know about the ones my daughter had made at the time. I also donated 7 bags of winter coats to the homeless and needy people in our local town, he often donated his clothes to a foodbank that provided clothes for refugees so I know he would have approved, he had a LOT of clothes, all of the children have had some of his clothes, I wear some of his T-shirts in bed, I feel close to him wearing them, take care xx

1 Like

Hi Kim

Think this will be my problem too. I am having some of my hubbys shirts made into cushions & a teddy bear.
I have bought a keep sake box, well its more like a trunk if only my hubby could see me. I feel all the keepsakes of our 32 year marriage can be kept there. I know i will enjoy opening it, like a treasure box.
As for most of his clothes, yes, in the wardrobe,I want to paint some rooms in the house eventually so will wear some of his shirts, perhaps I will paint better, he was soooo good at painting.
I hope you can find strength to cope with it. Big Hugs x

2 Likes

Hello. That’s a lovely idea. A keepsake box… I shall definitely do that. I had teddies made out of my husband’s shirts for my grandsons. Two years on and it is still all so difficult. I am also in the process of creating a surprise photo album each for my son and daughter with photos of them with their Dad over the years. Take care.x

2 Likes

Hi sorry for your loss. I also brought a trunk put it at side of bed filled with memories I like what you say a treasure chest never thought of it like that. It is full of treasured memories. I wear Micks jumpers when cold.

2 Likes

Hi
Sorry for you loss year coming up so hard I have a granddaughter to which I will get a bear done for her.
X

1 Like

Yes I’ve just bought a memory chest as we also lost our first granddaughter in January. She’s now with my Derek, her Grandad :cry:Been a very tough last 14 months. I also sleep with my husbands jumper as it was one of the last things he wore. I spray it with his aftershave too, find it comforting.!(upload://n8MXGSHHNiedPxRZze2gnYGsasL.jpeg)

2 Likes

Love the aftershave idea…mmm l will do this x

1 Like

5 Likes

Beautiful x

1 Like

Hi sorry for the loss of your husband and granddaughter omg what you must be going through I can’t cope with loss of husband sending love xx

1 Like