Still in a state of shock

Ny wife died last October.
I am not sleeeping well usually 3 to 4 hours a night.
We were married for 44yrs.
Just me and my disabled daughter who keeps me going.

5 Likes

It’s early days for you,the lack of sleep is awful.It’s 10 months for me now and still in shock it was a very sudden death.I get off to sleep alright but 3 or 4 am I’m wide awake with an overactive mind and end up getting up ridiculously early to take my mind off it all.

2 Likes

Thank You
Yes drinking a lot of coffee when I wake up at 3am

1 Like

I’m the same , fall asleep ok but whenever I wake up that’s it , no chance of getting back to sleep due to mind racing . It’s only been 2 weeks since I lost my wife though .

6 Likes

It is not easy
All I get told is you will get over it in time

Why are people so stupid…you will get over it…no its grieft your partner your everything you dont want to get over it…one day in time you may begin to except it…but not get over it …lost my bid man 8 months ago…together 40 years he was 67 cancer its a massive struggle but day at a time

3 Likes

Was going to say yes wake up 2 or 3am cant go back to sleep toss ann turn end up going down for a coffee…dogs get excited think there going out …then back to bed still cant sleep drop off then tge alarm goes off…

1 Like

yes people say the weirdest things
I am certainly just tired all the time

It’s been nearly four months since my partner passed away and after thirty years together I’m struggling with sleeping and feeling lonely and because I tried to take my own life and ended up in the mental health hospital I have been given sleeping tablets and I’ve had counselling to help me with the grief and I was told that when I can accept that Ann has passed away I will find it easier to get to sleep without taking medication but even with the tablets I keep waking up thinking about Ann and my life without her people who say it will get easier are normally people who haven’t lost a loved one the counsellor said that accepting takes time and it’s different for everyone I’m just going to take it day by day

4 Likes

Boo 2
I can relate to what you have said .
It’s 18 months since my husband passed away suddenly and I wake up every few hours . I dint think it gets easier and unless you have experienced this loss you cannot relate to how it feels.
All we can do is take each hour at a time e thankful for the happy years memories and try get through each day
Take care

2 Likes

So sorry at you losing Ann after 30 years. My darling Jan died of cancer in January and we had been together 32 years. It’s like there is just a big hole it my life. I try to focus on the good times we had and be glad we found each other.
I have a little dog Lily and she keeps me going. It’s nice she shows so much affection. The house would be unbearable without her. Take care . It only hurts so much because we loved them so

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss some people have no morals I’m the same go have fun they say enjoy your life move on how the hell can one move on I lost my angel suddenly last
July he was only 51 so young so sad we never got to get married etc 3 years wasn’t enough I miss him so much but got had other plans grief is love with no place to go you never get Over losing someone you love you just learn to live with it day by day my angel has been gone 8 months the emotions comes in wave my tears are like pool I’m drowning in I live with my eldest daughter but what I would give to see my angel again I listen to his music :notes: and watch his videos as he was a DJ have faith your angel is always with you don’t listen to small minded people you will know when it’s time to except and carry on with your life x

4 Likes

Same here. It has been a month since I lost my husband of 9 years. I am cosleeping with our 7 year old.

Getting to sleep is ok but about 3-4am I am awake.

6 Likes

4am seems to be the waking hour. I get up, make a drink, let the dog out, take her back to bed with me. Then I read. Sometimes manage to doze off again, otherwise the day is spent being SO tired. Existing until we can start living again, no idea when that will be.

6 Likes

Here for you. Sounds just like me

2 Likes

I hate that people keep saying that. It’s truly not helpful when you’re still having panic attacks from grief

1 Like

I’ve moved into the spare bedroom as I can’t bear to sleep in the bed we shared. At least the sun rises in there, as it’s the back of the house.

3 Likes

Sadgirlfriend
I’ve done the same thing as you I couldn’t bear to sleep in the same bed since my partner passed away and I’ve moved all my belongings into the spare bedroom and Ann’s belongings are still where she left them her daughter from her first marriage keeps asking me to let her box all of Ann’s property up and take it away but I’m leaving everything where she left it

1 Like

I’ve also kept all his stuff, he used to stay at mine 5 nights a week. I havent been able to wash his favourite jacket, or empty his pockets. All his toiletries are still in the bathroom cabinet, and his boots are in the hall.

2 Likes

I lost my husband January this year,i have problems sleeping , You are still grieving for your wife , try and stay strong for your daughter,My thoughts are with you and your daughter.

1 Like