There is hope.

Thanks Jax. I did explore using a dressmaker,.but they wanted to charge more than I paid for the trousers!
One leg done! Ive decided to do only one pair, and then review the situation.
For those things I used to do, in case I went first, I sorted out a list of people for her to call to sort things out, like rescuing and repairing the car, boiler, electrics etc etc. . It was all in a book I put together, entitled “In case of my demise!”

PS the first leg is done, and perfick!

5 Likes

Whilst Im still positive, I always remember thinking about what I wanted to do about female company. One man who had been through this said one thing he misses is female company. I never want another romantic relationship, and absolutely definitely not another wife. Some other male contacts have gone out and remarried, and I wish them every happiness.
To not have female mates is denying myself 50% of potential pals. Besides females normally have different views on things, often more considerate and with more empathy. They usually dont want to talk about cars and football!
So I kept an open mind, and chatted to one and all
Remarkably, which is excellent, every lady who I started chatting to and myself, when deciding to “go for a coffee” within 5 minutes, always insisted on establishing that we were ONLY platonic mates, with zero chance of romance. So no stress, and no misunderstandings.
As part of my positivity, I always like a bit of sillyness. My female friends are happy to refer to themselves as my harem. They are silly as well.
I

5 Likes

@tykey I love this attitude. I too do not want another husband or a ‘relationship’ but I hope some day to have male friends that are not the partners of existing friends. I think sometimes other women see us as a threat, like we might steal their husbands :see_no_evil:. So would be nice to know some single men. Like you say male and females bring different things to a friendship.

3 Likes

Well done. All these small successes. Today I managed to get my rollator in and out of the front door. No small task as it is a Bariatric one so quite large and I have the sill and half step to negotiate. Next step to use it outside. Wait till it is cooler.

4 Likes

Jan17 - I’m with you on that one. Male friends would be good but definitely no strings attached! I also don’t want anyone else’s husband. I value my friends too much and anyway, have you seen my friends husbands! :grinning::grinning: Mixed company though does bring a different dynamic although if it’s football talk I’ll give that one a miss.
Pudding - Well done. Let’s hope that gives you a bit more freedom!

2 Likes

Well done, Pudding. It will be a lot cooler on Monday, so you can start thinking of your first expeditions. Let us know how you get on!

And the second trouser leg went perfectly as well, so I now class myself as a seamster!

2 Likes

@Jax2 ah that made me laugh. Xx

1 Like

Tykey - Well done. Can I have your address I’ve got some shorts that need the seam sewing!! Perhaps I can join your harem! :grinning::grinning:
In all seriousness I would like someone to tell me how you get someone’s name highlighted in this group! I’m a bit of a technophobe as my husband was just a wiz and he always helped me if I was stuck! J x

You are right. Taking up things and sewing in buttons was always my job. Xx. Sandra

Do you mean in the grey box? Just put an@ in front if it and a selection will come up. Or you can put @ and type the name.

1 Like

Its a shame that Penny had £’000 worth of sewing machines, and I sold them.

To highlight someone’s name you just put an ampersand (squirly “a”) immediately in front of it!

1 Like

But did you know how to use the sewing machines?

1 Like

So, @Jan17, you need a plan to get these nice men friends. I bought a ukulele and joined a U3a group.
Another thing I did was to have a coffee and cake at a pavement cafe. Especially if the sun is warm! Its pretty safe to assume any person sitting on their own would love nice company, so I always ask if I could join them. My little dogs wade in for fusses and we are off! So get a dog or two!
Alternately move to South Yorkshire

2 Likes

@Pudding - thank you. J x

1 Like

@tykey - thanks. I’m on a role! J x

3 Likes

@tykey I don’t have a ukelele or a dog so definitely at a disadvantage. I have joined the Jolly Dollies and have had some local meet ups. Might try the coffee & cake approach next. Thank you for your positive posts.

2 Likes

There are no men at Jolly Dollies!. Get that ukulele (you can get a perfectly adequate one for £30). Join a U3a group and have fun. Absolutely no requirement for talent. Full of people like us, both sexes, looking for friendship. Youll be singing and playing within.half an hour.

Lots of other groups in U3a to have fun in
That’s what it’s for.
Dogs require a bit more commitment, and you have to like dogs!

3 Likes

@tykey oops I can confirm there are definitely no men in the Jolly Dollies :joy:

2 Likes

Can I thank everybody for joining in, and enjoying this thread.
It has shown that there is still pleasure to be had in life. Ive enjoyed the banter. Often very difficult to see it in the early days of grief, but its there to be fought for,!
Good luck everybody

8 Likes

Your uplifting post is just what I needed to read today. I lost my husbsnd of 47 years coming up 8 months ago. A roller coaster of emotions. Now trusting the ride will get easier in time and I will find contentment

1 Like