Valentine's day

Anyone else finding it hard seeing all the valentine stuff in the shops. Cards with husband etc and red roses. jim always brought me a red rose and beautiful cards. It breaks my heart seeing them now . I will still get one for jim and a single rose to put on grave. :rose::heart:

8 Likes

I am avoiding any card shops if at all possible and I do supermarket shopping online.

In fact, one reason I think I’m doing as well as I am is that I live in the countryside and there is only one small shop in our village. I can be at home and not see anyone go by all day as I look out on fields. I consider myself very lucky - all down to my darling husband.

4 Likes

I haven’t been in the shops to notice. My husband proposed on Valentine’s Day with two daffodils. My favourite flower and since then in daffodil season he bought me a bunch every week. I so miss them x

4 Likes

Yes this first Valentine’s day since my husband died will be a painful reminder that my beloved and I won’t exchange cards and a cheesy present and celebrate our everlasting love. I have got all our previous years cards out to read and I’m going to choose my memorial jewellery to order.
Being Welsh I will also celebrate St Dwynwen’s day (our Valentine’s day) next Wednesday 25th January with haggis, neeps and tatties and a wee dramas its also Burn’s night.
A friend and I are going out for tapas on 14th to celebrate our friendship and caring for each other. I did this with another friend a couple of years ago after she had been through a really tough time of bereavements and marriage break up - we had a very special celebration of the love in a special friendship.

4 Likes

I like the idea of celebrating friendship too. :+1:

3 Likes

Nice that you have got good friends most of mine have disappeared since jim died all said they would be there for me ummm where are they?. Full of :poop: the lot of them. Treasure your dear friends. X

3 Likes

I counted my dear friends after my husband died and it turned out to be two. They are the best friends I could have and I will always treasure them

3 Likes

Hi yes I understand about cards.Myhusband and I always gave each other Valentines cards and the ones we gave each other the year he died suddenly 2011 were on mantle on 18th Feb when he passed.I get them out every year put them back on the mantle.My son passed in March last year my heart is broken .In the January he bought me alot of BEE themed gifts and a lovely card with a big BEE on the front.He called me MUMMY sometimes for fun.He wrote in the card To mummy you are such a Honey love son x.I left it up in the Ja.nuary after my birthday and it will now stay up forever.My love to you all birthdays annversaries valentines memoriums all extra difficult times when cards can bring or not comfort to you on the loss of our loved ones :heart: xx

3 Likes

Yes valentines day can be a difficult time. My late wife and I always celebrated with cards as it was also her birthday, so yes valentines day is a bit of an ordeal now

1 Like

I find it really hard i got married on valentines day and it will be 2nd valentine day without him and i hate it cant gon in the cards shop because we always sent valentines card and annivesary card every year without fail now it just a void in my life

2 Likes

No I don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day not anymore I have lost my mum the day means nothing to me

We never did valentine’s day thing of flowers and cards, so I’m not bother about it. Doug used to buy me flowers every week anyway. But last year my son got me a huge bunch of flowers because his dad is not here to do it.

3 Likes

I feel exactly the same! I work in a supermarket so its so advertised i cant avoid it. And i agree its do hard. Just end up thinking what things could be like now.
Theres always lots of things that when you maybe start to feel slightly better (obviously never forget) but then something always seems to knock me back dowm again and this month it had been that.

2 Likes

Slightly different for me, My dad passed away on Feb 14th of heart failure 2019. I avoid all that stuff and have never managed to buy my husband a card since as it takes me back to when he was in hospital and I was shopping with Mum, buying Pauls card. Thinking of you x

A day that used to be full of happiness now one to avoid. I feel for your loss the pain never leaves.

1 Like

Absolutely and somthing Im still processing having also lost Mum on January 14th last year. Apparrently we grow around our loss. Thoughts with you xx

I say ban Valentine’s Day permanently I would after losing my mum

Hello Janenye, I am so sorry for you loss of your mother and father. - My brother also died on the 14th of February, but in 2022. He had a sudden sudden heart attack and any attempt to revive him failed. - The Valentine’s Day does not exist for me any more. I have also ignored Christmas and New Year. Take care. - Nick

1 Like

As mine are with you x

Life goes on but it will never be the same