Wish i could sleep till new year

Sitting here on my own looking at cards on shelf tears in my eyes cause there’s one missing. No gifts under tree, no sitting watching cheessie xmas movies cuddled up on settee. I wish i could just go bed and not wake up till new year . Everything seems magnified this time of year :sleepy: i sit remembering xmas gone by when we was all together laughing and feeling excited about the new year and what it will bring. Well now i know dont I just more heartache :broken_heart: and never-ending nightmare. Sorry to put a dampener on things but i feel so sad today wish i was with Jim.

30 Likes

I’m sat here watching my husbands favourite Christmas movie, drinking out of his cup and just wishing he was here watching it too. I haven’t sent any cards this year as I couldn’t stand the thought of writing just my name. I’m spending Christmas alone by choice and just can’t wait for it to be over. I normally love Christmas Day but it can do one this year. Sending you a hug.

13 Likes

I hear you. It’s just a living nightmare. I had bought marks presents and my plan was go early Xmas morning to surprise him. Now l just feel numb xx

5 Likes

Exactly the same. In tears. No tree, no cards, no Christmas presents, no love of my life. Can’t even watch Xmas films. First Christmas in 461/2 years on my own. Not a good feeling. Wish it was all over. Memories of Christmas old just magnifies the loss. Pain is unbearable. Thinking of all of you living through the same nightmare. Sending everyone love and hugs. xx

13 Likes

Sending a hug to you too. Our loved ones are definitely with us.

6 Likes

@Helen24 Thank you. x

2 Likes

I echo everything you’ve all said. I just realised @StarGate that it’s the first time I’ve been on my own in 63 years. The house is so empty and quiet, there are no floorboards squeaking upstairs, just empty. No parcels to wrap, no trudging to shops because they didn’t fit. Life just feels so empty now.
I’m thinking of all of you xx

9 Likes

@Mist2 It’s horrible isn’t it? How our life has changed not by our choice. All we can do is get through this festive period and at some point in the future we manage to live with our grief. Thinking of you at this time of the year. Sending you love and hugs. xx

5 Likes

I hear you all. I too am sat here all by myself wishing it would all be over, trying not to think of Xmas last year when my Jim, my mum and my soulmate dog were here. All passed within months of each other. I have no children and no family and I know next year I have to do something other than go through this for god only knows how many more xmas’s in my future.
Just got to hang in there and it will soon be over. Strange but the thought of 2024 also fills me with some sadness because it will be a year they have been left behind

9 Likes

I know how you feel . Christmas is a time to celebrate . But not !!! If you have lost someone it becomes it time to have your face rubbed in it that you are now on your own . But brace up your not alone . All the best

5 Likes

Life is a wonderful thing . But it can give and take away !! X

2 Likes

That’s what l thought about today. He passed 10 days ago. I don’t want to leave 2023. I feel like I’m leaving him behind. It’s like torture xx

7 Likes

I am sat here on my own, i have very muted decorations i did send about 25 cards mostly to Steves family. I have put up our last years cards to each other. Just need to get through it. BUT yes need to make changes for next Xmas. No children i have 1 guest for lunch tomorrow but have spoken to 2 people for a maximum of 10 minutes today. So lonely. Steve was a quiet man but I miss his presence so much. Getting ready to light my candle at 7pm. Hope we all get some peace tomorrow. 14 weeks since my lovely husband left. Its so raw. Xx good night.to you all.

7 Likes

@Sarlyn I am so sorry for your losses. My heart goes out to you. I have no children but I do have an elderly mum with dementia who is not aware of my loss and ask me everyday where Tony is. I, like you find a sad that we will be approaching 2024. Don’t know what it will hold for u. Thinking of you and everyone on here going through this period and hope that we all find some peace. Sending love and hugs. xx

4 Likes

I knew this would be difficult and I know friends have their own families but never did I ever think I would be totally alone at Christmas, it hurts, I could never see anyone on their own and I often wonder what on earth I did to be forgotten this time of the year. I am always positive even with my own losses and would still help anyone and never see them on their own but now I need support for the first time ever, sadly it is lacking. Not even a phone call to check in on me which would have been enough.
Sat here lost, disheartened and hoping my positivity won’t desert me

7 Likes

Just me and the cats.

Christine and I enjoyed spending Christmas quietly together. A little tree in the bedroom and some decorations dotted around the house. But I have not felt the slightest interest in doing anything this year. Just want this period to have passed. I’ve got a few cards from close family and friends which is really kind of them. But they are all stacked in a corner, not on display.

Hugs and best wishes to everyone. x

6 Likes

Hi @Sarlyn
So sorry for your loss.
Being alone anytime is not great and at Christmas time it feels extra hard.
I am trying to convince myself it is just another day like all the ones i have got through these last few mo ths
I will be spending it alone with memories of last year when we were both in Australia at christmas and new year with family.
I just could not go this year on my own too soon to brave travel on my own.
Whatever or however you get through the day sending hugs
:heart:
Lynne Xx

4 Likes

I will get through it like any other day but for me it’s not the point, it’s the lack of contact when people know you are on your own. None of us should be on our own without a word of comfort from anyone, it’s sadly how society has become, my Jim would be mortified knowing I was by myself. It’s also to me a slight to their memory. I feel for all of us going through this and sending you all a big hug. We are all brave, strong and courageous and deserve a little hello how are you doing. It’s not much to ask. My thoughts are with all of us spending it alone but then the spirit of our loved one’s will be with us :heart: xx

6 Likes

Hi @Sarlyn
I understand your point.
Sometimes it can just be a phone call text or even a neighbour who drops by on the day. Unfortunately society is not like that anymore. My husband was a caring person with a heart of gold :yellow_heart: and he would be the first to do this but not many of these people around now.
I have a brother and sister in law who have been no help or support and im basically left on my own to deal with things. I cope but sometimes im in pieces. Only people here understand or if they have lost someone special.
My friend who lives about 3hrs away phoned yesterday and she has said she will phone me on Christmas Day so at least one person to speak to.
I will be thinking of you tomorrow please feel free to message :heart:
Take care
Lynne Xx

5 Likes

Me too. I lost my partner of 28 years very suddenly 10 weeks ago, and I have no family; he was all I had. Friends and neighbours have been wonderful, and very supportive, but have their families, and Christmas to celebrate. I can’t even switch on the tv; Christmas is everywhere, and he is nowhere.

6 Likes