Wish i could sleep till new year

I totally agree with everything you have all said, and am feeling exactly the same. Knew it would be tough at Christmas, but far worse than expected. Like some of you mentioned, the lack of a special card, and the pile of presents, most of them daft fun things, but the house, and me are now so empty.

5 Likes

Hi @Catrin1 @Wifey1
I am sorry to here of your recent losses.
For me it has been 7 months some days cope better than others but the pain and heartache :broken_heart: are still there.
I thought id get through christmas and thd new year as treating them as ever other day i have got by without him but i realise its hard and not that easy.
But i miss his laughter his kindness being spoiled and looked after. Now having to do things and look after myself. The empty house is horrible and being alone even worse.
Anyway however you get through the festive time look after yourself
Lynne Xx

9 Likes

Thanks @Galaxy75
Yes, looking after myself and the house now, and not doing a very good job of either.
Take care of yourself. x

2 Likes

I have nothing to indicate Christmas is here in the house . I have had cards from well-meaning friends and people they have gone in the bin . When you lose the love of your life a week before Christmas what’s to celebrate . I’m done with it for good . You would not have met a person with more Christian values than my Dorothy and not in a bible punching way . But cancer had other ideas so as I say I’m done with it !!!

9 Likes

Feel so alone today. First Christmas without Tony. Only 13 weeks since i lost him. Sitting here crying as we were together last year. Went to shops but couldnt cope with atmosphere and came home crying, i know you all feel sad and are in the same boat. Be so glad when January comes, but in the meantime i wish everyone lots of hugs and love to help get through the next few days. Take care. Xx

8 Likes

Hi @ Debbiea
Sorry to see you feel so alone today.
It is my 1st Christmas too without my husband who passed away 7 months ago.
I too had a good cry today feeling so alone today. Last year we were together in Australia with family for Christmas this year i will be on my own at home so different from last year. I will have quiet day tomorrow and just think about memories of last year
It will be mixed emotions of happiness and sadness but i will get through like i have every other day for the last 7 month’s
Sending hugs and love :heart:
Hope you get through tomorrow :pray:
Lynne Xx

3 Likes

Hi @ Jeff 007
Sorry to here about the loss of your wife
I know you dont feel much about the festive period just now but getting through every day is heartbreaking :broken_heart:
My husband passed away suddenly 7 months ago and my Christmas day will be spent thinking of memories and times shared.
Life goes on we have to learn to survive

4 Likes

57 years with him, now just over three years without. Just can’t get used to him not being here. It’s the worst feeling in the world. I’m lucky in that I have a loving family nearby and I will be with them all day tomorrow (Christmas Day). I could have gone there Boxing Day too but can’t face it because Boxing Day was ‘our’ day, just for us. We used to look at our presents, and try them out if they were that sort of gift, then we’d watch rubbish Tv and chat and have a drink and eat the dinner one of our daughters would have sent for us, to save us cooking. It meant so much to us and we really looked forward to it. I just need to be here on my own for Boxing Day. I will light a beautiful candle for him, which I have bought especially for that day, and I
bought another one for New Year’s Eve. That was another time we treasured and we would talk about what, if anything, we fancied doing that was different in the year to come. Spending more time in France was our main ambition. We loved it there and were lucky enough to have a house there until a few years ago. That came to an end thanks to Eurotunnel. They used to run a scheme whereby, if you travelled around midnight, for five days, they offered a special low price. Needless to say, greed soon took over,and they withdrew that offer. We had both just retired and couldn’t afford to go very often at the full price. This meant we needed to get someone to keep an eye on the house for us because we weren’t there very much. More expense, so in the end, we sold it. Thanks Eurotunnel!
So, that will be my Christmas, and the sort of day many of us will have, I expect. To add insult to injury, Tv will, no doubt, show the usual repeats and rubbish programmes. Call the Midwife is the only programme that jumps out and bites me so I shall record that to watch on Boxing Day. More tears, I’m sure!
I raise a glass to all of us in this situation. I hope you all have a bearable 2024, if not a happy one. See you all next year!

5 Likes

Just sending a hug to you all as I’m going through exactly the same thing. xx

2 Likes

Thank you for writing this . This and New Year just feel like a nightmare I want to wake up from but can’t . First Xmas in over 30 years I am not with my beloved partner . My partner started getting ill exactly this time last year and my mind keeps going back to the nightmare of that and then other lively xmas’s we spent togther that will be no more.
I never was alone in all these years we were always together . I can’t see my way forward and never felt so alone .
This is such a hard thing to get through while everyone is celebrating I just wish it would be over it only serves to magnify the pain which is so unbearable .
I feel for all who have to go through this nightmare there’s nothing that makes it better .

9 Likes

To all of you. I just want to say Happy Christmas. We will get through this and it is ok to cry. I have been sobbing since 3am. But that is ok. The person we love is still with us just not in person. I am sorry if this sounds weird but it is helping me. We are not alone we have each other. I t is just a day and we have to carry on. Sending love and hugs to all of you. Xxx

9 Likes

Morning @Billie7
Me too been waken for few hours crying happy sad tears of last years memories of Christmas together :heart: from now just me at this festive time alone with thoughts.
1st Christmas :christmas_tree: without him here but it is just another day like they days before and the days after we now have ahead
However we are all spending this time we are not alone and we carry on best as we can
Sending hugs and love to everyone who has lost :heartpulse: someone special
Lynne Xx

7 Likes

@Billie7 @Galaxy75 Me too, been up since 04:00 AM crying. First Christmas in 461/2 years without my beloved Tony. Thinking of all the wonderful memories from Christmas past. Trying to hold on to those memories to help me get through today. As @Galaxy75 said it’s just another day as Christmas will never be the same again. Sending love and hugs to both of you and everyone else on here who are going through today on their own following the loss of their special person. xx

3 Likes

Hi @StarGate
Sending you hugs and love :heart: to help you get through this day.
If anyone needs to talk or text how they’re feeling or just want to know they are not alone today pleae feel free to contact us as someone always around to listen or answer here.
Look after yourself
Lynne Xx

3 Likes

I know its just another day, but crying all time. Going to my daughters so i will be with someone, but first Christmas in 54 years without Tony. I desperately need a hug but dont want to spoil the day at my daughters. Got to try and hold it together for them. Hope we can all get through this time of year to a better 2024. Love to all.

5 Likes

Some people that have not experienced loss of a loved one say I know how you must be feeling . I think to my self as they utter those words you have no idea of the pain . But this site has highlighted the pain we are feeling going through . And like you this time of year only servers to compound that pain . I wish you peace and strength !! X

3 Likes

Well like you I will be alone . But I will raise a glass to us all . Cheers to you all !! X

4 Likes

First Christmas in 48 years without Roger and 43 married.

I miss him so. Much, but I’m trying to be brave, and just cry on my own…

Not helped by the fact that my sister and brother in law, who are supposed to be here to help me (they live in Spain), are going through a bad patch and constantly arguing.

Love to everyone

5 Likes

Hi @Paddy53
Yes life goes on.
We will get by this day like every other one we have in the past and future.
Take it easy and enjoy your memories they cant take these away from us.
Take care everyone
Peace and harmony and special memories :sparkles: to each of you today
Lynne Xx

3 Likes

Sending love & hugs to everyone.
Hope you all are keeping well as you can through to the New Year :orange_heart:

1 Like