Blocking on this site

I never ever thought I’d ask for this information on this forum but due to the increase in upsetting ‘spats’ I feel I need to.
What is the process of members blocking individuals? It’s such a shame to have to ask, but it seems this site is no different from any social media group. Admin can only do so much, so if the only way to engage is by making sure it’s with like minded individuals, then this for me is a necessity. I refuse to be put in a position of feeling like I have to leave. I’m putting this on general chat as I’d guess others may wish to know if blocking is possible.

2 Likes

You can also go to someone’s profile (by clicking on their username) and you will see a pink button that says ‘normal’ - this can be changed to ‘muted’ (no notifications about the user) or ‘ignored’ (you won’t be able to see their posts at all).

Perhaps it would be helpful if I added this to the help section?

1 Like

Thank you Priscilla, that additional option will resolve the issues I have.

Useful information, thank you Sandra for raising the issue. Thank you Priscilla for pointing us in the right direction. However, it saddens me to think there are those out there who we feel the need to block. This forum is special and I don’t think of it as social media. I’ve never even looked for a block button because I’ve never felt the need. Perhaps I do now. :thinking: :disappointed:

2 Likes

Hi. Kate. Yes, why do we need a block button? If we don’t like comments on a thread we may have started then leave it.
Some comments can be upsetting, but if we rise to the bait it can upset us and cause more problems. We are all still in a pretty fragile state, and the last thing we want is upsetting remarks.
Love and Blessings to all. John.

I think the reality of it is John, there are some people who we will never get along with and sometimes we will react so best to avoid them altogether. Enter the block button…

2 Likes

Easier said than done, I’ll be happier to block Jonathan. To many people jump in with their opinions, if you have no need to seek or use this advice. My question was answered by xxx & Priscilla. I don’t need any advice thank you as to how I should deal with threads that stress me.

2 Likes

Hi, Sheila. I contributed to an anxiety website and still do. A new party took over and they removed the ‘block’ button as they felt it inappropriate. After all we don’t have to read anything that upsets us. What upsets one may not do so to another. I wonder where tolerance went. Yes, if we are going to fall out with each other what is the point!
Take care. John

I think the point of blocking would be to prevent ourselves from becoming upset or angry, thus avoiding disagreements which can get out of hand, as we have seen recently. Some people are just never going to get on, it’s life. For instance John, if I found every one of your posts irked me then better to block them from view rather than fall out with you. (I haven’t blocked you though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) Personally, I think the block button has it’s part to play.

3 Likes

Yes Kate, you could well be right. I suppose, like all these things it comes down to a personal choice. Thanks for not blocking me. :smiley: :smiley: :hugs: I would hate to think anyone had cause to do that. All the best. John.

1 Like

I never even knew there was a block button and fortunately I haven’t felt the need to use one. If I don’t like what is being said or a members attitude then I don’t engage in the conversation. I don’t read it.
I thought this forum was to help each other and that friendship, help and encouragement was what it was all about. If members don’t want to encourage this then don’t be a member. That’s my humble opinion anyway.

5 Likes

I’ll never understand the disputes on here. On a forum of so much suffering and pain that people can still be rude and argumentative is beyond me. I don’t normally comment for the reason that this should be a place of acceptance and humanity. And even me posting this is against my ethos. But I just don’t get it

And all this you “shouldn’t go off topic. You shouldn’t post unless you have experienced my pain”. Nope don’t get it

6 Likes

Oh Sheila. That makes my heart hurt that you cannot relive your memories without someone telling you off. This forum. Because of what we have all endured. Should be the most compassionate and unforgiving. Why people feel the need to tell you off for reliving your most treasured memories makes me so sad just because it went off topic makes no sense to me at all. There seems to be such a lack of intolerance. You would think that what we have all been through. Tolerance is something we should give in abundance. Sheila. Please. Talk openly and with love your menories. I love to hear them. Xx

3 Likes

You see Kate, I asked a question it was answered but seems some people need to analyse why. I explained why and still questions asked.
In short, there is an option to mute or block, if you don’t need to use it, that’s fine, but some may feel the need to. Let’s respect that.

3 Likes

Sorry seems we have have gone off topic again. Oops.

Sanw. Did you really think that creating such a passive aggressive thread wouldn’t garner such a passionate discussion. Come on. If you wanted to you could have discreetly messaged sue Ryder to ask the question. This is exactly what you wanted. Shame on me for getting drawn in.

4 Likes

Dear Jooles,
It makes my heart hurt too, Sheila tells us such lovely things about her life with her beloved Peter. It would bode well for people who haven’t compassion and understanding, which she has in abundance,
Sheila, I know how much you love your Peter and how it broke your heart when he was taken from you, ignore the naysayers. Some people are so wrapped up in their own feelings they haven’t a compassionate heart for anyone else who is going through such grief.
I look forward to reading some more of your life with Peter, it was my era too.
Love,
Mary x x x

3 Likes

Blocking should not be necessary, San, we are all going through what is probably the worst time of our lives.
Follow my way of dealing with upsetting posts, ignore them. When I first joined this group I was so comforted by the supportive messages, it seems to me that people are becoming more self centred and selfish. This betrays the meaning of here, we are supposed to be supportive and not critical, I know I have fallen down on this tenet a few times but I would not deliberately hurt anyone.

3 Likes

Always Sheila. Never feel like you need to censor yourself. I love hearing your stories and posts.

2 Likes