CREATING A SHRINE FOR MY MAM

Hi Christine

I started packing at the weekend so it wouldn’t sneak up on me, especially as I am working Mon-Wed.

This is how the packing has gone so far:

:laughing:

5 Likes

Hello Christine

I’ve just looked at the blog you created. It’s amazing. I love the paneling for the storage. That’s so ingenious when you have limited space. It’s a good job you have a loft as well.

I have that Next Door App and started a thread to see if anyone had had any experience of their pets being ill after a walk and there had been 7/8 pets poorly. The council never got back to me so I’ve done all I can to try and find things out and to warn others.

It’s funny you should mention the rain as on TikTok I saw this video of a rain storm over someone’s verandah and it was just utterly mesmerizing. So stress-relieving.

Looking at your photos was intriguing, especially the buttons for some reason. I was just thinking how old they must be and what life they must have seen over the years.

No, the raining-camp thing isn’t geeky. If I feel anxious my stress relief is watching TikTok (and I’ve watched a lot recently!) I start off watching craft videos and then I get hooked on something and you end up down a rabbit hole for the next two hours. At the minute it’s a case of whatever I can do to stop me thinking of things but it’s like a train with no brakes in that it has to crash sometime.

I’m going to go and make something to eat as my eating habits are as erratic as my sleeping habits at the moment.

Much love xx

2 Likes

Hi Beki

Are they your little helpers!!

xx

2 Likes

Hi lovely friends
Had a lovely afternoon and forgot Tuesday is normally my worst day
Got round to seeing Top Gun Maverick and really enjoyed even though not a Cruise fan he has made some cracking films.
After the cinema I got on the tube to the V &A and took in the Africa Fashion exhibition which was very good and well- presented on two floors . First visit there and hope to explore more of the museum again soon!
Here’s some pics I thought I would share , hopefully if any of us are feeling a bit down they will cheer you up
Love and best to you all
Neil x

3 Likes

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the photos…those outfits are amazing and I love the green dress so much :heart_eyes: x
I’ve never been to the V&A as like you it never appealed really but maybe need to broaden my horizons next time I’m down x

Like you again not a massive Tom Cruise fan…there is just something I’m not keen on about him but agreed he’s made some decent movies….I liked A Few Good Men, Minority Report and War of the Worlds but think I’m in the minority (pardon the pun) about the last two lol x

What are you up to the next couple of days? anything planned? I’m working but have an online training course tomorrow night as a refresher about sett monitoring for Scottish Badgers…always look forward to learning x

Anyway take it easy and will catch up with you soon :two_hearts: x

2 Likes

These were in today…£800 each and reduced from £1200!! x

3 Likes

@christine51…thought you may laugh at this x

3 Likes

Love the pics Suzanne . Those doggies :heart:
The V and A is mightily impressive when you see the building and it will be several visits before I see everything. I like Sth Kensington station as you can get off and go through a subway which is a short cut to the Natural History museum on the left and V and A on the right. Keep going it’s the Royal Albert Hall. And if it’s raining you dont get wet!.
Just some washing and hoovering tomorrow. It was good to do something different on a Tuesday and its kept me in a good place .
As for Mr Cruise I like Collateral and The Last Samurai . Mission Impossible Fallout another good one. You dont need to have seen the original Top Gun to like this one. A lot of references back to it but they are explained through the film. He always has to run in his films and he does in this too :joy:
Anyway speak again soon
Sending love and best wishes
Neil x

2 Likes

Hi Beki,
I would have expected nothing less! They have to be in amongst it all, making a bed wherever they can, always very inconvenient. My other cat, Mercedes (passed when he was a baby, had a tumour in his chest and we didn’t know) loved it when I made the bed. He’d get under the sheets and I’d waft him like it was waves and he’d go scatty, running around, chasing the sheet as it went up and down. He never wanted it to stop and I’d have to make the bed on top of him and just leave him under there and he’d conk out and sleep.
How many days are you going for and what are the scissors for? I haven’t been on hols on a plane for about 25 years now. Wouldn’t have a clue about weight and what you can/can’t pack. You must be getting excited now. I know it will be tinged with sadness too but take your mam with you in your heart. She’ll enjoy it as much as she always did. Have you sorted someone for the cats? They’ll be feeling so lost without you and when you get back I’m sure they’ll punish you for days! The silent treatment no doubt.
I’m really not getting much done today. Had a man come round from the council to see if a new fence can be put up behind my very old one on the other side of my garden. I can’t take the old one down because of all the attached climbers. So it was nice to get out there for 2 mins. But I have so much to do. It’s sunny here so will probably be warmer than in the house. If I move some logs I’ll feel like I’ve achieved something today so that’s my plan.
Good luck with the packing and I’m looking forward to your updates and pics. Enjoy it!!!
Lots of love xxx

3 Likes

Hi Suzanne

Since when did dogs get so expensive. I know they need feeding and need treatment etc. Think ours was 1000. I didn’t buy it, it’s my brother’s but it makes your eyes water. I don’t know how much a rescue dog is but there are many people that need a dog for a bit of.conpany that may never get the chance. xx

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from CREATING A SHRINE FOR MY MAM:

Hi Tina,
Was so worn out yesterday I didn’t get a post done. Those panels for the alcove next to the fireplace were a tenner at the car bootie years ago. Just screwed them to the wall. But a curtain rail with a lovely piece of fabric would do just as well. It really is a good job I can use the loft space for storage of my fabrics as well as seasonal clothes and xmas stuff. Still have to get up there to finish the insulation under the eaves, left over from after the rat infestation. I’ve cleared the space to accommodate new boxes so that’s the motivation for me to get back up there.
You mentioned the life of my lovely collection of buttons. I do love collecting buttons and beads. I got a huge stash from freecycle. A company was closing down and giving away its stock. I got another batch again from another member of the team because I recognised the buttons. My new textiles is waiting to be stitched and after that I will be embellishing. That’s the fun bit, adding texture, depth and colour with buttons, beads, sequins, jewels etc. Mam always accused me ! of being a hoarder because I said she was with her jam jars. It’s my treasure! Some women collect diamonds. I collect buttons!
Watching storms and rain really is mesmorizing. I’ve subscribed to two camping blogs now, very different experiences. The japanese is very high tech with very clever kit. The New Zealand one (I thought he was from the UK) is much more down to earth, less efficient, more laid back and much more blokey! It really is lovely to wind down to for sleep. I’ll try the Tick Tock tonight. Been using You Tube.
Just a thought for your situation with the council and poorly pets, you could contact your MP. I’ve always found them to be really good in all different scenarios. It’s an environmental issue which cannot be ignored. Small children are also at risk. The MP appoints a member of their team to contact the council about the issue and liaise on your behalf. So all they need is detail of what happened and when. As much info as you have. The council must act if the MP is involved. I think the reason the anti social tenents were given behaviour orders was because I threatened to contact my MP and told them I would not put up with their behaviour any longer. It worked. Always worth a try. Google for info and the online form to complete to contact them. All done by email so not as stressful as in person or telephone.
Kisses to Zoe and you too! Going in the garden to move some logs. I was going out there an hour ago and got side tracked.
Lots of love xxx

2 Likes

Hi Neil

Thanks for showing your pictures. They are lovely. It’s nice to see things that are a bit different.

I remember once going to a dolls house and toy museum. It was fascinating.

It’s great there’s so much going on in easy reach if you. Isn’t it.

Hope there’s something interesting on the horizon for you again soon xx

3 Likes

Hi Christine

Been out in the garden moving some brick around. Like you say, it’s far easier in little chunks. It’s freezing everywhere else but like a sun trap in back garden.

I collect sequins and love the one with the rainbow glitter that have the hologram effect. To be honest I used to use them on the sparkly sun catchers that I’d made but it seems pointless now. Plus brother doesn’t like me putting sparkly things up in the garden so I can’t really do anything.

Just going to utilize a bit more of the nice weather and do some more garden work.

I am very easily side tracked!!

xx

2 Likes

Hi Neil,
Soz I didn’t get posting yesterday. So pleased you enjoyed your day. I had been thinking of you out and about. Love the kaftans. The more colour the better I think. Colour and pattern is their strength in design. You should include exhibitions more often when you have theatres booked. Or if the travel is free maybe venture out for a half day to make the most of it and fill your week up. More stuff to look forward to.
I don’t know what it is about Tom Cruise. I’ve never liked him, the poor thing! I don’t even know why. His films are always full of action, like James Bond, but I’m not really into that kind of thing. He does his own stunts too, which is to be admired. Really hurt himself doing a massive jump from one rooftop to the other. He really slammed into it and broke or sprained his leg / foot. He must be getting on now. I’m always quite shocked when actors age, when I haven’t seen them for a while. I’ve got a real phobia about the aging process.
I always love seeing your pics. Love architecture. Really admire the intricate detail of old buildings. I replaced cookery at school with tech drawing and was just baffled by it all. Maths and all that stuff is not my strongest asset. And I was surrounded by very studious geeky boys who didn’t want to chat. I soon replaced that with extra art and was happy.
My day went very smoothly. Got my postal renewal drivers license sent off, got my blood test, had a swim (though the special needs man biting himself, flicking water at the lifeguard, giving me and everyone else murderous looks and beating on his chest as I swam past didn’t put me at ease!) and got parked when I got back.
Just remembered, I liked War of the Worlds. And I remember when he was interviewed about scientology on Oprah and he was jumping on the sofas. Very excitable!
Maybe you could keep your new Tuesday going by returning to the V and A next week. Might make it more bearable because that’s the day which is hardest to bear. Also include your church. Even to pop in and light a candle for mam and dad. Small things really do count. My swims are only half an hour but really impact on my day. Just hope that man isn’t there next time I go to the lido. It would have made me laugh if he wasn’t so scary.
Hope you’re still thriving off yesterday. Have you met the new neighbours?
I’m still trying to get in the garden. Might have a cuppa instead and then finish my loft.
Lots of love xxx

3 Likes

Hi Tina,
I still haven’t got out there so you’re not the only one who gets distracted! Tell your brother to buggar off! No sparkles in the garden indeed! Why does he think he can tell you what to do? Make loads of them for the garden and every window in the house. Pop one in his bed as a surprise!!! Help him to vent his anger. He’s such an angry man. You’ve reminded me to keep the offcuts of fence I was using to help the sweet peas clamber up the tree. They didn’t do well but I could dry the wood out and use them for sparkly dangles. I could decorate the xmas tree I will get for the garden to celebrate mam because I can’t do xmas at all now without her. Thank you for reminding me. I’ll have a look at Amazon this afternoon.
Keep going with a bit of the garden each day if poss. You’ll be amazed at how much you get done and if you photograph as you go like I do it will encourage you to do more. My garden is in such a state but I just have no energy. I had to sleep when I got in after swimming. Check out my post to Neil about the special man in the pool. It will make you laugh!
Going out there now or I never will.
Lots of love xxx

2 Likes

Hi Christine
Glad you had a nice swim .
Yes it was good to get out yesterday . I will be returning soon to the V and A as they have some other good exhibitions on . Got some theatre next two weeks first.
The Top Gun film has been out for about 4months and only just got round to it. Mainly because I had planned my exhibition and the only showing of the film in that cinema this week was yesterday afternoon. With the price of rail fares I try and do two or three things when I go up to London and save a bit of money . Been looking at some of the other museums and galleries to see what they have got on . Good thing about living half an hour away from London is there is so much to do. I was looking at Churchills War Rooms- they charge £26 to go in there. Definitely not paying that.
Looking forward to speaking to my friend later on .
Sending love and best wishes
Neil x

2 Likes

Lockdown pretty much pushed the prices of puppies through the roof and in some breeds almost doubled their prices. Res sue dog prices I think depend on what rescue items from but think our local one is like a fee of £200…might have gone up by now tbh. Yeah a grand sounds about right for her breed x

2 Likes

Is that the war rooms near Covent Garden? Cause if so my friend and I were going to go have a look as was just round the corner from our hotel but so glad we didn’t at that price! x

Enjoy your call with your friend tonight and hope today hasn’t been too hard on you.

Take care and chat soon :two_hearts: x

2 Likes

Hi to everyone,

I know it’s been a few days since I posted, but I have still been reading your posts.

It’s been manic being back at work, September is always a very busy term in a school. Often get in from work and just too exhausted to be bothered to do anything. Not even been cooking much, surviving on rubbish food, I really need to get back into a routine soon.

Christine I read you blog, you are certainly a talented lady with all you do, I couldn’t write a blog. You’ve certainly given your self a challenge with sorting all your textiles and resources, and floor boarding your loft.
I hope you have found your documents and it’s not anything to do with next door. It’s good to hear your keeping up with swimming. I can understand you being a bit frightened by the young man at the pool. I was having lunch with a friend a few weeks ago and on the table next to us a young adult started screaming at the top of her voice. The couple with her did manage to calm her down, but it was a bit unnerving.
I glad your sister rang you, perhaps you could ring her back when your feeling more up to it. How is you health, are you due anymore tests?

So you got to see Maverick, Neil, it was good, I think better than the first film. I just ordered the original film and will be getting the new film when it’s released on 31st October. Really looking forward to the new Avatar film to be released near Christmas, it was Doug’s favourite, I shall be watching it for him. I never been to the V&A, it was on our to do next list. I didn’t like the science museum, but loved the natural history museum. I don’t think I’m quite brave enough to do London on my own, Doug knew it so well, never had to worry about getting lost when I was with him.

Hope everyone else is okay

Sending love
Debbie x

2 Likes

Hi Neil,
I always thought you actually lived in London for some reason and was free to travel about. No wonder you don’t go up there every day with the cost of travel (not that I’ve been on a train or underground for years). I wouldn’t pay that either to look at anything never mind Churchills bits and bobs. But it does make it more special in a way. And packing in other things too makes a full day out then. I miss the thrill of going up to London for shopping, looking about and nights out. I used to visit my sister up North quite a bit and went over Liverpool too visiting friends and going out. I miss the freedom.
Just had another swim at the local pool and there were no men biting themselves this time! Very quiet. I usually do twice a week but will try going every other day to get a bit fitter. Makes the day go quicker too.
I was in the garden until it got dark yersterday and had a really good day, motivated by Tina getting out there. I know how hard it can be for her so I thought I would give myself a nudge. Didn’t intend doing all of the rocks in the large pool, having a big tidy up, moving all of the tree branches to the top of the garden and taking lots of pics, knowing I would be showing them to you all. So here they are:
No shame in a sandal sock scenario now it’s getting a bit chilly.

Took my hanging strawberries down now they have stopped fruiting. Might hang them along the fence for protection with the rest of the fruit climbers.

Collected seeds from lillies

and green beans. Love the bright pink colour on them. And after I’d put them down on the bench and come back to collect them I noticed a fluffy white feather sitting right there. Think it’s mam saying she’s with me. Hope so. I said hello to her, out loud. Don’t care if the neighbours are watching and think I’m talking to myself .

Have quite a stash to dry and pot on after winter.

Collected the offcuts from the shed I’d used to encourage the sweet peas to climb up the tree (it didn’t work). Will dry them and add sparkles to hang up around the garden (inspired by Tina).

Moved the tree logs to the top bath to encourage hibernating creatures

with smaller branches added to the ongoing bug house where the old fence has bowed out and created a cavity to fill

at the top pond area.

Added small rocks to the top pond to create easy access for frogs etc

Added all of the rocks to the large pond and checked today to see if it has torn the canvas but its all good.

Can now look for shingle to extend the patio area up the path and create a gentle slope into the pond to hide the liner and remove the flag stones keeping the canvas in place.

Debbie will be impressed! I thought I’d just move a few rocks up the garden and then a few more, popped some in place and just kept going. The anticipation of doing is always much bigger than the actual thing itself. I hadn’t been out there since the heatwave. Thrilled I’ve finished the task and can start looking at plants. Will order some water cress in my shopping to add to the pond, a handy tip from a featured gardener.
There’s still some colour in the garden after so much had perished in the heat. Dahlias are huge but not many grew

and there are new buds on quite a few of the roses

Rudbeckia is still giving a blast of colour

and primula’s.

Still loving the passion flowers over the pergola.

Loads of buds for new flowers. I didn’t try the fruit in the end. Thought I’d leave it for the birds.

Lots of berries ripe now for Autumn on the spiky hawthorn.

I love the purple on this bush from mam’s old garden.

Her rose is doing well in the fairy garden and I’ve added some twigs to help with climbing.

The flowers are coming out on the fleshy leafed plant dad always said was a weed, even though you can buy them in the garden centres. They go a deep red in Autumn.

Porscha enjoyed me being out there

She says hi (looks quite annoyed here, not sure why).

Still have planting up to do where the shed was and have the posts and trellises still to do.

but a good tidy up transformed the mess. Will look fab when I get the shingle down. Shame they stopped doing the ten pound bags from Amazon. It was easy for me to manage in small chunks.

My lobelia is still flowering

and geraniums.

It’s a shame the creep hasn’t gone to work. I had planned going out there to do some more. But I am rather tired after yester and then swimming today.
It’s because you all like to see my pics that I am encouraged to take them and actually look at the garden. You really do make a difference !
Tons of love xxx

4 Likes