Finding the loss of my husband so hard

Dear Sheila

Hope you get it sorted. The roofs are now done but it has taken ten months of like yourself calling people, leaving messages, finding a roofer only for them not to turn up (or call to cancel appointment) or be quoted ridiculous prices. For the time being it is a feast for all the tradesmen. See if they come knocking on the door when work dries up but they will not get the job even if I have not had it completed. Hoping that the next workman turns up on Friday and thereafter just need a floorer. I spoke to the lad who promised that he would turn up and do the flooring but he has not returned my texts.

Dear All, just to say I had a workman to lay concrete resin that I contacted through Bark. I had been trying unsuccessfully to get my drive and patio done for months (similar senario people quoting ridiculous prices and others not turning up) but this chap was brilliant. Work completed within a week to very good standard, kept all his promises & didn’t require any money till I was happy with the job. Reasonable price as well. So if thats anything to go by give Bark a try. Hopefully my heating is getting looked at tomorrow, fingers crossed. Carol.

Dear Carol

Glad that you got something sorted through Bark. I will take a look and see if they operate in the North East. Hope you get the heating sorted.

Sheila

1 Like

Thanks Sheila. x

I’m really sorry about that. I think that there must be so much work available since lockdown that it’s hard to get anyone. My son is finding it impossible to find a builder for a new kitchen extension and bathroom. Not long ago they’d have been queuing up for the jobs. Now they can pick and choose. I hope you sort it soon.

1 Like

Dear Sheila

Thank you for your post, parts of which made me laugh through the usual tears of the morning.

Will keep my fingers crossed that you eventually get it sorted.

Sheila x

Hi all, heating has been sorted! Went out in the back to find part of my fence has blown down! You couldn’t make it up could you? Carol.

1 Like

Dear Carol

No words. If the fence adjoins a neighbour hopefully they will offer to help repair.

1 Like

Dear Kath23

You are so right. Little things that would not have bothered me in the past are now just enormous obstacles and finding the energy to get over is something we should not have to think about. Hope you get things sorted eventually.

Sheila x

It’s called comfort food and we all need it :heart:

2 Likes

I bought myself a cream cake yesterday and sat and stuffed my face. The other day it was a tub of icecream. Other food items are ate out of necessity not because they bring any pleasure.

Am glad that you have a few to pick from and hopefully it will eventually get sorted. I have gone out and found the soffit vents on the path - it is blowing a storm here and the plastic had become brittle so now going to have to spend the evening trying to source replacements. It is never-ending.

Glad you got response from Bark. I found it better than check a trade were no one got back to you. Hopefully you get a decent quote. Good luck Carol.

My youngest son is going to help me repair it. We bought the fence originally so I wouldn’t ask anyone to go towards the cost.

My youngest son has said he will have a go at repairing it with me. Downside is he lives 30 miles away so it won’t be this week. I’m trying hard to let this repair business wash over me and not stress.

1 Like

Dear Sheila

In this case it would be valid to say wear and tear. They just disintegrate when I try to pick them up. Have looked on line and they are only ÂŁ1 each to replace so will not go through insurance and it would not be financially viable. The problem will come climbing the ladder and trying to put in the new ones. Another Youtube view probably to see how to fit. When my husband was alive I would just be around to make the tea and perhaps hold the ladders. I do get quite upset with him when I am having to do these things.

Dear Sheila

Chocolate is my go-to. I eat far too much especially when stressed or anxious so my intake over the past 12 months has probably raised my cholesterol significantly. Certainly not having an impact on my weight. Dropped from size 12 to an 8 since my husband died.

Dear Sheila

I have had a few dealings with insurance companies. I really do not think these policies are worth the paper they are written on but mortgage lenders etc insist that we have them. I did once challenge an insurance company to define a specific criteria for rejection and they paid out. Unless they are inspected annually by an ‘expert’ this is an argument that we are never meant to win.

Dear Sheila

Me and husband never liked to ‘report’ anyone so to speak. However, perhaps it is the only way to get the message across to contractors who just mess us about. My first roofer came and we agreed the price only for him to muck me about for over six months each time me thinking I would give him ‘another chance’. He was recommended by one of my husband’s friends who uses him for his own home and his shop roof repairs. He was not impressed that this guy let me down so perhaps the roofer has not only lost my money but also a long-standing customer.

At the moment home maintenance contractors are experiencing a ‘feast’ and therefore decide to ‘cherry pick’ their jobs. Not good for us though.

Just drove back from my sisters caravan. The journey was a nightmare, poor visibility and torrential rain on the M6. All I could think about was the last time my husband drove us home from there. Felt so sorry for myself. Carol.

1 Like

Hi Kath things just hit you out’ve the blue. A new Grandchild is such an emotional event no wonder you feel weepy. Grief definitely comes in waves. Feeling like you are doing okay then bam it hits you again. Guess this is a journey of ups & downs. Take care Carol.

1 Like