How will we cope at Christmas

Good Afternon,
I am sorry to pm you but would love to light a candle on Christmas Eve are we going to mak a time,so we can all join in.
I think it is a wonderful idea and the fact you suggested it think it would be nice for you to start the thread,hope I am not cheeky and per haps even get family to do so.
Regards. Xx

1 Like

just ordered Angelā€™s Wings from Amazon

hope today has been an improvement on yesterday and tomorrow is an improvement on today

blessings
Jen :butterfly:

3 Likes

Angels wings candle on itā€™s way. Will light it for my lovely husband Bill, on Christmas Eve.
Sending love and hugs to everyone.
Shona

2 Likes

Think we all need to post a photograph of our Christmas candle in a Christmas Candles topic? Need to make sure everyone knows :blue_heart: I have one ready and waiting for my 3rd Christmas :cry:

4 Likes

Wish I was on commission from Yankee candles :joy:

2 Likes

this will be my third christmas too. each christmas since Alan left we did it differently. was the only way I could make it through.

hope today has been an improvement on yesterday and tomorrow will be an improvement on today

blessings
JenšŸ¦‹

3 Likes

Just read this posting and would be so happy to join you all in lighting a candle on Christmas Eve. I have always lit a candle for my parents on Christmas Day but think it would be lovely to light one for my darling Ron on the eve. Please keep us posted what time. Love to you all

2 Likes

Hi Jean, I am dreading Christmas having lost my partner to Covid 19 in April. It is my birthday Christmas Eve and also my daughters birthday on New Years Eve I cannot imagine it without my lovely man. We were together 39 Years. I cannot face Christmas at mine so I am going to my mums as I am her support bubble. I hope we can enjoy some of it at least. I wish you well.

1 Like

Thank you to every one who wants to light a Christmas Eve candle! As suggested, I have started a new thread ā€œLighting a Christmas Eve Candleā€ so that we can agree a time that is good for all of usā€¦please have a look and post accordingly! It would be wonderful if we could join together so please share wherever possibleā€¦grief is going to be present in so many homes this Christmas; not only those of us grieving the loss of our loved ones but so many people grieving lost opportunities and being unable to ā€œcelebrateā€ with family and friendsā€¦perhaps all our flickering flames will shine into the darkness and bring some hope and comfort;
Take care everyone X

2 Likes

Will be wonderful when we all post pics of our candle on your thread. What a wonderful example of what this forum is all about, the common bond we share, the loss of a loved one :blue_heart:

4 Likes

Dear Jean,
How I feel for you, being in the same position. My husband and I used to have a week of joyous decorating until the whole house looked like a Christmas card. Our Christmas started on Christmas Eve with Carols from Kings and Christmas Day was always a tranquil one, starting with church, lunch eaten in the dining-room, glowing with Christmas colours, candles and a roaring fire. Friends could not understand that we liked our day together, opening a few gifts after lunch, watching the Queenā€™s Speech before settling down to chocolates and a good film.
Like you, I donā€™t know how to manage the coming weeks. What will those in our position do about the day itself and the rest of the twelve days, when visiting and being visited was full of love and optimism? I have no family and am in no bubble of any kind. I canā€™t even get to church as I donā€™t drive.
Have you made any decisions about Christmas cards? At the moment I just donā€™t feel equal to the task. I usually made most of mine, personalising each one and writing individual messages. My husband, armed with the list, addressed the envelopes.
Iā€™d like to try to go away to a hotel to escape but fear enforced jollification. At least I would be spared the duty telephone calls from houses where I am on someoneā€™s ā€œto do listā€.
You and I will not be alone wondering how to cope so perhaps someone will have practical suggestions for those who are totally without contact. Do we try to pretend it is not happening? I am getting good at pretending and blocking out reality but canā€™t keep it up for many hours at a time.
As I eat my solitary lunch today I shall think of you and all those carrying this same burden of grief, hoping and praying that we can all be comforted in some way if only by reaching out to one another like this. God bless and stay safe.

1 Like

Dear Herb,
How sorry I am that you have not had a response from someone on the forum. In a way I suppose there are so many of us that it is impossible to reply to each individually. I think we should all just try to be comforted by the words of others just as we are touched by them.
I donā€™t know how I shall manage Christmas as I am struggling through each ordinary empty day. People say we should remember the good times but when there were no bad times, remembering the special ones is more heartbreaking than anything else as the realization that they can never happen again is constantly reinforced.
My own strategy will have to be to make Christmas Day as holy a time as I can, concentrating on why we celebrate it in the first place, whose birthday it is and the reason for His coming. He said, ā€œI come to heal the broken hearted.ā€ I pray that He will do that for all of us who are spending the time in total isolation. Bless you.

2 Likes

Dear prof, I guess I was having a rather difficult day when I wrote my viewpoints on the upcoming Christmas day. Itā€™s difficult because my mindset is mostly on the loss of my wife (my one year anniversary, if I can call it that), is coming up in November, Friends and family noticing my withdrawal from their get togethers. They are not in my place, so I guess itā€™s hard for them to understand They donā€™t seem interested in how Iā€™m doing nor do they want to hear about my feelings. I feel isolated when I attend the get togethers. I think that I wish to be by myself just to remember my wife. I guess Iā€™m not yet over her passing yet. Thank you for the note of encouragement ā€“ bless you and all others on this message forum. I do appreciate all of you!
Herb

1 Like

It is a wonderful example Sandra, and so nice to see everyone come together without the background arguments, rudeness and lectures we have had to endure recently. Long may it continue, spread the love :revolving_hearts:

5 Likes

Hi,
I think I ought to put down my thoughts about Christmas. Itā€™s going to be odd anyway as at the moment here we are in Tier 2. It is unlikely that I can go to my husbandā€™s relatives as they have their own families and bubbles. They would willingly have me and be careful of how I felt. I accept that I may be alone. Iā€™ll put the tree up and put a wreath on the door. Iā€™ll have to do the cards as not everybody knows of my husbandā€™s death. Iā€™ll try and do them early. Iā€™ve had a look at what I can do about a meal. Iā€™ll listen to Kingā€™s on Christmas Eve and I expect Iā€™ll cry. Iā€™ll see my son and his family in the USA on Zoom. Itā€™ll be hard but thereā€™s the radio and the TV and craft work and I expect Iā€™ll get some phone calls and Iā€™ll be grateful. Stay strong and ask for help if you need to. X

2 Likes

Hi Janmezzo, Itā€™s nice of you to forward your message this way. Looks like you have the holiday planned out. Almost to the exact detail but looks like you gave yourself some wiggle room too. Yes, itā€™s going to be a little odd at Christmas time this year. As for me, my wife and I would go the Steakhouse on Veterans Day. (I may go alone or not at all). Iā€™ll probably be invited to my sonā€™s for a dinner - in way, I rather not go as my thoughts will be on my wife - who will not be there. Actually, I went last year alone to his place with family ā€” I broke down in front of the just reminiecing about her. Iā€™ll try to do better this time. Otherwise, like you and others on this forum, Iā€™ll be alone too. Iā€™m not going all the way with the decorations (just doing the little things. My wife was into decorating the whole house, even outside. (Maybe next year). Iā€™ll probably watch some Christmas Specials - and do the phone calls. I wonā€™t be much in a festive mood, but Iā€™ll give it a try. Thank you for writing. Have a blessed day!
Herb

2 Likes

Hi Herb
Decisions about the special dates are complex
My 1st Christmas without Jack was 10 weeks after he died - I wasnā€™t bothered - however one of our daughters and my sister organised it all and the day wasnā€™t as difficult as I expected ( and at New Years I collapsed)
Last year we went back to our usual as will be this year - and I felt last year that Jack was with me
I friend of mine advise me that from here I can support Hack and from there he will support me - so I feel that by getting together and celebrating Christmas I am supporting Jack - I am honouring his memory by keeping our family united and by been together -
I find I canā€™t put my Christmas tree up we use to have beautiful Christmas trees now I have something modern - more like some twigs with lights - even my grandchildren have commented that when Grandad was here I had those big beautiful trees
I know that If I stayed alone I would be depressed and sorry for myself ! In the end we have to do what feels right for us
Take care
Sadie x

3 Likes

So say all of us MrsColt and SanW. Spread the love sounds good to me.
Pat xx

3 Likes

After 18 months I still day, we and our. I was asked the other day if I still wore my wedding ring. I still consider myself as married, do you stop saying ā€˜Mrsā€™? I donā€™t want to revert to Miss or even become M/S.

2 Likes

I still sayā€¦ sorry fat fingers !

2 Likes