Let's laugh, otherwise we'd cry. Humour only

yep! Sad world ,Were we have supposed freedom of speech, But some body always finds something complain about.some comedians from the 70s wouldn’t even get a slot in the local pub ,never mind get on tele ,with the material they used to use.
im no pc follower as I actually got Jayne buy me love thy neighbour,i know some will think racist,but Jack Smethurst always came off worst,i know the language Jack used to describe black people was very offensive but Rudolph Walker wasn’t short of replies.oh well hope no one decides give me crap because I liked the show.

1 Like

I loved that show, we never thought of it as racist it was funny and that’s all we cared about. Jim Davidson used to do a bit about his mate chalky. Bernard Manning was the most offensive guy ever but you can’t deny he was funny. I know that humour is dated now but you can’t beat ‘The comedians’ or ’ The wheeltappers and shunters club’ showing my age now :rofl: Too many snowflakes nowadays Ian :roll_eyes:

1 Like

when a kid we went with our parents to a pantomime see mother goose and Theatre Royal in Nottingham and Ken Goodwin was in it .I just had go look his name up he was one of the comedians .just looked over the years damn there was loads.used to watch the earlier ones from the 70s didn’t really watch much of the 80s or later years of it.

1 Like

I have Ken Goodwin’s autograph :joy: we used to go to Blackpool on holiday when I was young and wait outside the theatre to see the stars. I have a photo taken with Freddie Starr on the North pier. Mick miller was my favourite so funny and still doing the rounds bless him. Norman Collier and Russ Abbot also The grumbleweeds. Happy days and good memories.

1 Like

we got it.well my parents did with a copy of the flyer for mother goose no idea were it is now,was many moons ago.as we lived in Bulwell ,we caught the bus into city centre.think we went Christmas time which is panto season I think.im sure russ abbot was 80s so I didn’t watch him in that,i watched the madhouse thing occasionally his humour was quite visual as well.that was with Freddie then he had is own show I think ,on a Saturday.oh well my memory is shyte at times so excuse me if im wrong

No you are spot on Russ Abbot was 80s with Dustin gee and Les Dennis. Today’s standups are not as good as the 70s comics

nope but they cant use the material .which is sad ,I mean I recall being at school and the sick jokes kids would make up.not going tell any because they would offend the pc brigade big time.i understand with ther irish jokes as they were very derogatory to say the least.
the slight asides like why are Indians no good at football?why? because every time they get a corner they build a shop on it.i mean im not indian but cannot see real offence in that type of humour,okay I can if we go down bearnard manning agenda of comedy,sorry pc brigade if ive caused offence please forgive me.

:joy::joy: I know what you are saying Ian you are scared to open your mouth these days for fear of offending. Colin and I had a very dark humour that shocked people who didn’t know us :scream:

1 Like

had delete but my point is anything slightly aiming at another nationality is seen as in very bad tase no matter how obscure it is grrrr oh well.

1 Like

My husband loved that scene Ian :grin::heart:

1 Like

Jayne and me loved the film.but when I listened to it,with linda saying you make me feel like Jane in a tarzen comic just made me feel sad,but it is a funny clip from the movie.
id forgot she actually said that at the end of the clip.
and glad your husband loved that scene,and hope he made you feel like Jane in a tarzen movie.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Ian you can be so sweet. Perhaps he did make me feel like Jane. Not sure he would have gone swinging through trees for me though :wink::joy:

2 Likes

thank you Kate,swinging through the trees made me smile, through my tears though.just simple words can make those dreaded emotions kick in :grinning: :sob:

just a few Dave Allen sketches

1 Like

Very funny man Ian. I laughed till I cried when he told the one about teaching a child the time :rofl:

1 Like

glad you liked it.Kate.we used to love watching Dave Allen ,I had is series on video from when it used to be on bbc1.

1 Like

Dave Allen was one of the funniest men ever, he used to make me laugh and laugh, we saw him on stage, in Sheffield, hilarious. :grinning: :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

3 Likes

we always loved watching Dave Allen,he caused quite a bit of controversy over is religious sketches.but is over all humour was great,some of the scenarios for his humour in sketches were hilarious.

2 Likes