Music which means a lot

I’m the same Jean8. I’ve started listening to 50’s songs because that was before we met and doesn’t hold the memories of us. The worst is the musicals. We went to the theatre to see them and listened to the music at home. They just make me sob now.

@nidrigirl I’ve just bought a compilation of Skiffle songs from the 50’s (before I was born, 1958, but sort of grew up on them because my sisters and brother are a lot older than me. Lonnie Donegan is my favourite.

@Johnch You’re thinking of the version by Boy George but Andy’s is by far the best. How funny that he didn’t like him! Wonderful memories though. You wonder where those times have gone don’t you. I’ve uploaded Andy’s version for you, fingers crossed it works.

Complete curve ball now and not a well known one. I had this played at my Mum’s funeral as she was a proud kiwi. We kept the English translation in but the photos were of my Mum’s life.:heart:

1 Like

@Sal46 thank you for this , I’ve watched it twice in a row now and it is good. No, my dad always said he didn’t like his voice but I always did.

1 Like

Here’s another one, 5 years before I was born but brings back so many memories Diana Decker - Poppa Piccolino ( 1953 ) - YouTube

Hi Jen153 just reading music posts and your mention of the Fureys.I only started listening to them after my hubby had died my friend had bought us 2 tkts to see them.I got few cds after that .I like you love When you were sweet 16 also Maggie cos my name Margaret.But a real emotional one Jen is ABSENT FRIENDS.My hubby loved Beatles Elvis Searchers.Our son Mark our only child passed 1 year 9th March my heart is broken…No words can begin to explain how I feel.Music was his life his knowledge collection etc was vast.Bob Dylan was one of his favourites so I had 3 of Dylans songs at his and his dads graveside.RC Church wouldnt allow them in Church.!Dont know if you familiar with Bobs songs.But one I played was SHOOTING STAR if you feel like listening to it.Lovely words.My love to you and all those who have happy connections to their loved ones and music xxxx

@Audrey54
Your husband will be flying as free as an eagle now. :heart:

I knew this one, being born in 1961 there aren’t many ABBA songs I don’t know.
Thanks for posting it. xxx

1 Like

I remember those days. I was born in 1947 so was one of the first sixties teenagers but I started out with fifties music and Lonnie was up there with them. I avoid rock 'n roll though because Vic and I used to jive when we were younger. Although I’m now smiling at the memory so that’s an improvement.

The words in this song are just how I feel. Makes me cry every time I listen to it. :blue_heart:xxx

5 Likes

Hi Marg1 Peter and i would go to most of the Fureys concerts where we live in coventry it was he who got me into them Will love you when we are gone and the lonesome boatman are lovely songs. Peter liked all sorts of music . Bob Dylan. Leonard Cohen. Beatles. Crystal Gayle. Corries. Dont know if you remember a folk pop singer called Bob Lind i loved his songs in the sixties and have got back into them again. I will listen to SHOOTING STAR i like Bob Dylan . I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your husband and your son My love and Hugs to you . Jenny. Xxx

Hi Jen gosh yes I do remember Bob Lind ELUSIVE BUTTERFLY lovely.My boy was a great fan of Leonard Cohen he saw many concerts over the years Leonard was one of his favourites.In fact when we heard the news of Leonards passing we had been to a Paul Simon concert in Manchester another favourite.Gosh Jen music is a wonderful thing I really must try and start listening again its so hard because I keep crying.Take care Jen thanks for your lovely reply and keep playing your music that you and your lovely hubby enjoyed .If music be the food of love play on.Marg xxxx

Hi Marg1. I find it very difficult to listen to the Fureys songs i have loads of there cds it just makes me cry so much remembering us going to see them i miss him so much. Yes Elusive Butterfly was my favourite song when i was 14 . Thank you for telling me about SHOOTING STAR i have just listened to it beautiful song. Jenny xxxx

My love and thoughts to you Jenny .Glad you like Shooting Star lovely words xxxxxx

Lovely idea @KarenF
Music is my second love (my husband the 1st of course :revolving_hearts:) but I’ve found it very hard to listen to music (which is like another loss) still do with certain songs, so I chose carefully.
Slowly though I’m able to listen to more.

This song is so special to us. When it came on the radio I’d turn it up loud, sing it to him (badly!) and he’d sing the chorus back to me :heart:

2 Likes

I haven’t listened to this song since my husband passed away last April. It was our first dance at our wedding in 1993. If ever it came on the radio or tv, we would both look at each other and smile and remember our special day. Just can’t do it yet.

3 Likes

Played this at my husbands funeral last year when the photos were being shown :heart:

1 Like

I went to post some music, but I’m told I can’t include links in replies… perhaps someone might be kind enough to suggest how I address posting it?

@Edward
I just clicked on copy from YouTube then pasted that.

Thank you Karen, I’m so sorry, but I’m being a bit dumb, I’d guess what that does is post the URL of the original file that is posted on Youtube. Thing is, and here’s where I’m being dumb, perhaps, that’s surely still a link. However, I’ll give that a try, later this morning, and see what happens.
Thank you very much for trying to help. It’s very much appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face: