Should I stop wearing my wedding and engagement rings?

PeterE59 cjs126
Those are my words exactly Pete,
I feel as if I’ve been robbed. He was healthy and strong , up until the last seven months.
65 is no age. He hated being ill. We were both working at the time of his diagnosis, so we obviously stopped and I became his carer.
All our plans went south.
We had downsized to a smaller house ready for retirement, we talked about nothing else.
That’s why I feel robbed.
Cjs126
You’re right they were our protector and so many other things. We’ve lost so much, no wonder we feel like a different person.

2 Likes

Sad, it’s your own choice, what you think is best for you.
For me, I shall always wear them and my soulmates ring and will always be Mrs but that’s me. It is a very personal choice and thinking what and where your future lies.
It’s a great question and I think age may play a part in the answer.
It is entirely your choice. S xxx

Dear PeteE59

As others have said we are at our most vulnerable at this time and hard as it might be to believe even some members of our own family will take advantage. Stand firm. These are not small sums of money that she is asking for. It takes quite a while to replace such amounts from what little we now have coming in.

We are here for you.

I love my granddaughter ( technically, she isn’t a blood relative) I see her Nannie, when I see her. I promised Shell, I would make sure she would be okay .

Sorry, forgot to say thank you, appreciate, all on here so much. Xx

Dear PeteE59

Then I am sure that you will do as you promised Shell.

Our eldest grandson looks so much like my husband, his adoring granda. The colour of his hair, the curls, the smile. One of my husband’s best friend’s refers to our grandson as ‘little Ian’ the name of my husband. I have no life now so I have resolved to make sure that our kids and our grandkids are okay.

I don’t like the being called a widow, I tell people I’m married to a husband with wings, I’m as married today as I have always been. X

6 Likes

When I lost my Jimmy 6 months ago I said to my sister " I’m no longer married". We married when I was 17.
She said you will always be married & she’s right because he is irreplaceable.

1 Like

Take off my wedding ring? NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! (couldn’t if I tried…:wink:) x

3 Likes

Shells rings wouldn’t go on my finger, so our rings, are on a chain, which I don’t take off. Xx

2 Likes

I totally agree my rings will stay where they are and where they belong. But its up to you and how you feel. I had to fill in an application over the phone this morning and one question was, what is your status I responded with widow she then asked do I consider myself as still married my reply was yes there was no other answer as i do consider myself married and that’s how I will always see myself as married

2 Likes

I never put widow I always put married the word should not exist on paper work
Love to all

4 Likes

I to wear my husbands rings on a chain round my neck and never take them of .i am still married and always will be i cant use the ‘W’ word we still married and we will be reunited one day soon x

2 Likes

Never. You will always be married to him no matter what. I lost my hubby 7 weeks ago and have had his wedding ring altered to fit and now very proudly wear it on my right hand.

2 Likes

I wear my husbands on my ring finger with my wedding ring, it will be 8mths on the 24th of this month since i lost him, yet if feels like yesterday

That is exactly how I feel. Peter will always be my husband. Just because he isn’t alive makes no difference to me. I have his ashes at home and that means he is still with me.

2 Likes

I totally agree I also have my husband’s ashes and I still kiss him good night I am still married it was very hard this week it was our 36th wedding anniversary and the first with out him I don’t think things get easier I think we learn to hide it from others x

2 Likes

I don’t think things get easier. I think we just get more resigned to the fact that this is what our existence is now.

3 Likes

I too kiss my husband goodnight, it gives me some comfort to know that he is at home with me. I lost Peter nearly 8 weeks ago and could not bear the thought that he was going to be left alone at the crematorium, My life is so lonely and empty without him I don’t think I will ever get over losing him, it will be our 54th anniversary in September.

It doesn’t get easier, I think it is about realising and accepting this is our life now. Loneliness is a bit part of our new lives. My husband passed away just over a year ago and I just could not accept I would never see him again. Such a shock and feeling of how could you leave me.

I take consolation now that he was so ill and had suffered so much at the end it would have been awful for him if I had gone first and he would have been physically too ill to cope alone.

I have lovely memories but feel I have just lived through the worst year of my life. I am still standing!!!

Big hugs xx

3 Likes